• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Level 9's in a nutshell

Spirst

Don't forget that they tech every single thing imaginable with the most insane precision even after doing repeated usmashes on the underside of Arena Ferox multiple times at high percents.

Last edited:

Ziem'sPit

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darklink2nd
3DS FC
0602-6753-0653
They're built to know exactly when you are going to attack them and then they dodge it. It's like watching a League player using a script to dodge skillshots. That's all they know how to do.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I just use Marth and keep them outta grab range with nice spacing. All they do is shield, and at some points they WILL drop it.

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
Replace Pikachu with Marth having priority on all of his attacks, perfect timing, the defense of Bowser, and always using counter when you try to attack him.

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
My complaint is that it's impossible to practice shielding against these buggers. They grab without hesitation. A completely unrealistic portrayal.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Spacing, punishment, and combos are probably the only things that are worth practicing against CPUs. Everything else either will not work on a CPU or will not give you an accurate representation on what to do in a real match. Also, it'd probably be best not to use characters with counters for CPU training.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
They also love power shielding a lot. There have been countless times where I've had a lvl 9 power shield both hits of Link's Fsmash. They mock you, yet they still manage to suck so much.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
If you know what to do, it's easy to beat them. If not......you'll get wrecked.

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
My complaint is that it's impossible to practice shielding against these buggers. They grab without hesitation. A completely unrealistic portrayal.
This. It has been like that since as long as I can remember in past smash games. Also impossible to practice grabbing because they always beat you to it. Their reflexes are impeccable, but their skills are nonexistent.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
This. It has been like that since as long as I can remember in past smash games. Also impossible to practice grabbing because they always beat you to it. Their reflexes are impeccable, but their skills are nonexistent.
I hear Amiibos can learn from you and adapt to your playstyle. I'm hoping they can learn advanced techniques as well. They'd make lvl 9's look like a joke. Heck, they go up to lvl 50.

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I hear Amiibos can learn from you and adapt to your playstyle. I'm hoping they can learn advanced techniques as well. They'd make lvl 9's look like a joke. Heck, they go up to lvl 50.
But the thing is about amiibos, no one knows their maximum potential. They could be slightly better level 9s, or they could be a mirror you with a very similar skillset yet with either your reflexes or inhumane ones which makes it impossible for grabbing. Don't get me wrong, I love the concept itself, and I personally hope for what Nintendo (and you) says to be true in regards to amiibos, but there is only one way to find out.

Edit: And Wario can seriously eat Pikachu's Thunder Jolts? 0_0

But still, that video was priceless.

Last edited:

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
Aghh, yes! They completely steal your idea to grab! Blatant and shameless!

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
But the thing is about amiibos, no one knows their maximum potential. They could be slightly better level 9s, or they could be a mirror you with a very similar skillset yet with either your reflexes or inhumane ones which makes it impossible for grabbing. Don't get me wrong, I love the concept itself, and I personally hope for what Nintendo (and you) says to be true in regards to amiibos, but there is only one way to find out.

Edit: And Wario can seriously eat Pikachu's Thunder Jolts? 0_0

But still, that video was priceless.
They won't be 'slightly better than level 9s', they will do as you do, so the more they play, the more they learn.

And if you make him fight your friends a lot, hed get even better.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
They won't be 'slightly better than level 9s', they will do as you do, so the more they play, the more they learn.

And if you make him fight your friends a lot, hed get even better.
That depends on how well Nintendo developed the amiibos. I haven't heard much first hand accounts much less tried them myself, so I am unsure of their quality. And their level system I belive only increases their stats, not their fighting style (correct me if I'm wrong) and that their fighting style always adapts and develops. But I'll wait until they are released and I hear reviews before I make my judgement (though I'll probably get that Ness amiibo when it comes out).

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
That depends on how well Nintendo developed the amiibos. I haven't heard much first hand accounts much less tried them myself, so I am unsure of their quality. And their level system I belive only increases their stats, not their fighting style (correct me if I'm wrong) and that their fighting style always adapts and develops. But I'll wait until they are released and I hear reviews before I make my judgement (though I'll probably get that Ness amiibo when it comes out).

Levels = stats

But amiibos learn even after they max out at level 50.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Of course, the more you play against them, the better they get.

All the hype.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Perfect shield perfect shield perfect shield perfect shield. At least they don't taunt as much anymore. :p

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I've noticed that the AI has a habit of spamming certain tactics depend on your position. If you're far away, they'll spam projectiles (if any). If you're close, they'll either roll away or attack. If you have high damage, they'll start using their more powerful attacks more often. If they block an attack, they will grab. The last one can be exploited if you sidestep and strike, or using a fast jab to disrupt them.

There are some specifics, like for example a level 9 CPU using Ganondorf will constantly use Wizard's Foot, a level 9 using Jigglypuff will constantly use Rollout, and a level 9 CPU Little Mac will spam Straight Lunge. Villager also has a habit of using Lloid Rocket to recover, but traveling a lot farther then needed and plummeting to death on the other side of the stage.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Sometimes level 9 Fox or Falco will upB away from the stage when trying to recover, if you go try to chase them in midair.

Talk about hardcore.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
They can also power shield pretty much perfectly. In a way, it's cool.

Nebulax

Smash Cadet
I find that they tend to change playstyle once you get to a decent percentage, and begin spamming their smashes or other kill moves. If they're a distance away, they usually use projectiles. With their perfect shielding, its often easier to hit them by punishing than approaching.

And finally, when the Villager uses the Lloid Rocket to recover, he either always seems to commit suicide or get off right on one of the edges of the stage, where you can wait underneath to hit him with something powerful. Pikachu's Thunder all the way.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Just a quick question: Do you think that Smash 3DS's AI is better than Brawl's AI if you ever played both? I haven't played against many CPUs in 3DS, though considering the fact that they seem to spam a lot... I'd cast my vote for Brawl personally.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Just a quick question: Do you think that Smash 3DS's AI is better than Brawl's AI if you ever played both? I haven't played against many CPUs in 3DS, though considering the fact that they seem to spam a lot... I'd cast my vote for Brawl personally.
Level 8 CPUs in 3ds are actually good opponents, albeit a tad on the easy side, since they're usually like level 9s, but without the god-like reflexes.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Level 8 CPUs in 3ds are actually good opponents, albeit a tad on the easy side, since they're usually like level 9s, but without the god-like reflexes.
Oh. I didn't know that. I generally practice against Lv 7s because I heard that they were considered the best AI, but now I think I'll try Lv 8s out and see for myself when I get the chance.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I always play level 8s, because they're the perfect mix between 7s human-ish characteristics, and 9s reflexes (but not as godly)

I'd actually say my favorite AI to play against is Project M level 9 AI cuz I feel like I'm playing a pro.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I always play level 8s, because they're the perfect mix between 7s human-ish characteristics, and 9s reflexes (but not as godly)

I'd actually say my favorite AI to play against is Project M level 9 AI cuz I feel like I'm playing a pro.
So what would you recommend for training against tournament level players? I always go against level 9 cpus and usually kick their *****.

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
Compare level 9s to Fox/Falco AI's in Project M... Jesus Christ the difference is large.

Top Bottom