• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk tilts

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
I was wondering how you guys use your tilts? to be honest, I almost never use them, except for dtilt on ocassion on a ledgeguard. Ill accidentally throw in a ftilt and I like its range, but I almost never do it on purpose.

Are there any good scenarios for utilt? Ive mapped the tilts to my cstick to try an dforcemeto use them but im just not digging it.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
Oh jeeze, yeah. There are plenty of reasons to use them! UTilt is great for enemies above you on a low platform or you bait in to aird-dodge, otherwise it's not as good as it was in Brawl due to its hitboxes being odd. It can be used at low percents after a UThrow as most opponents will expect an aerial followup and airdodge in to your slightly delayed UTilt. FTilt is great for spacing enemies that are pressured at the edge or horizontal to it, and DTilt is fantastic at hitting enemies recovering low to the ledge/hanging just a smidgen too long on them or again, when you have pressured them at the edge. FTilt goes through/clashes with many moves, great if you expect a fast move out of them. DTilt is a little worse at this, but provides a lot more shield pressure faster which can be vital against characters that are weak to it such as Villager or Little Mac. Try this; DTilt and if it hits their shield, do a pivot sideB. The pivot will likely provoke them out of shield and free you from short range fast attacks such as jabs, the sideB will then latch/kick them.

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
Oh jeeze, yeah. There are plenty of reasons to use them! UTilt is great for enemies above you on a low platform or you bait in to aird-dodge, otherwise it's not as good as it was in Brawl due to its hitboxes being odd. It can be used at low percents after a UThrow as most opponents will expect an aerial followup and airdodge in to your slightly delayed UTilt. FTilt is great for spacing enemies that are pressured at the edge or horizontal to it, and DTilt is fantastic at hitting enemies recovering low to the ledge/hanging just a smidgen too long on them or again, when you have pressured them at the edge. FTilt goes through/clashes with many moves, great if you expect a fast move out of them. DTilt is a little worse at this, but provides a lot more shield pressure faster which can be vital against characters that are weak to it such as Villager or Little Mac. Try this; DTilt and if it hits their shield, do a pivot sideB. The pivot will likely provoke them out of shield and free you from short range fast attacks such as jabs, the sideB will then latch/kick them.
awesome! do you have the wiiU version yet? are you using your cstick for smashes or tilts?

taylosun

Smash Cadet
Does DTilt still combo into FAir at high percents or did removing vectoring and adding in DI change that for some reason?

EDIT: It does still work. There's a use for you. Can also combo into UAir at lower percents IIRC

Last edited:

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
Does DTilt still combo into FAir at high percents or did removing vectoring and adding in DI change that for some reason?

EDIT: It does still work. There's a use for you. Can also combo into UAir at lower percents IIRC
Good to know :)

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
Even playing for the last month on a 3DS with a Gamecube controller, I still cannot get over this--

As much as I love the C-Stick, I would like it even more if I could do tilt attacks off it. I'm a twitchy person and can often perform smash attacks on a dime. However, for that same reason I can almost never consistently do a tilt.

Dtilt is probably my most reliable option, it's cool to know it goes into fair at higher percents.

Erionn

Smash Cadet
Even playing for the last month on a 3DS with a Gamecube controller, I still cannot get over this--

As much as I love the C-Stick, I would like it even more if I could do tilt attacks off it. I'm a twitchy person and can often perform smash attacks on a dime. However, for that same reason I can almost never consistently do a tilt.

Dtilt is probably my most reliable option, it's cool to know it goes into fair at higher percents.
You can change the C-Stick from Smash to Attack in the controls, and it will do tilts.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
So a question then, Dissent:

Do you DTilt just for shield pressure, or do you use it as a kill/throw setup? I've seen players do it both ways. They'll throw out a DTilt after hitting the ground or a roll just because it's a quick move. I've seen other players (M2K is front in my mind) specifically fish for DTilts just to throw out 2/3 depending on the percent, and transition into a grab. I've also seen them combo it into FAir at high percents - but I can't do this reliably. (BTW - any advice on that particular combo? It only seems to work for me above 150%)

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
So a question then, Dissent:

Do you DTilt just for shield pressure, or do you use it as a kill/throw setup? I've seen players do it both ways. They'll throw out a DTilt after hitting the ground or a roll just because it's a quick move. I've seen other players (M2K is front in my mind) specifically fish for DTilts just to throw out 2/3 depending on the percent, and transition into a grab. I've also seen them combo it into FAir at high percents - but I can't do this reliably. (BTW - any advice on that particular combo? It only seems to work for me above 150%)
I mostly use it near the edge or as random shield pressure/spacing. I don't bother using it for kill setups as it's unreliable and if I do fair after it, it's purely a fast reaction to the situation. I prefer jab if I land next to someone, it's faster and multi hit. It's not as bad as some people want to think.

Last edited:

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
I mostly use it near the edge or as random shield pressure/spacing. I don't bother using it for kill setups as it's unreliable and if I do fair after it, it's purely a fast reaction to the situation. I prefer jab if I land next to someone, it's faster and multi hit. It's not as bad as some people want to think.
If you do the hold version instead of the tap version, the jab is very nice indeed. I feel like it's lightning-quick into grab if you get the timing down. That said, I cannot at all adapt to an inverted version of The Gentleman and it does not work for me at all. :[

Even so, the multihit jab does sick damage per hit. Even a few hits really knocks 'em.

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
If you do the hold version instead of the tap version, the jab is very nice indeed. I feel like it's lightning-quick into grab if you get the timing down. That said, I cannot at all adapt to an inverted version of The Gentleman and it does not work for me at all. :[

Even so, the multihit jab does sick damage per hit. Even a few hits really knocks 'em.
Most players including pros don't want to deal with taking more damage when trying to SDI up/in to and beat a rapid jab because of its priority and unreliability, so they let it finish or SDI away and out of it and Diddy remains mostly safe because of that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom