• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lets talk stages

MiloniVanili

Smash Apprentice
There are plenty of threads on combos and match ups but we don't have any on stages to go to, stages to avoid, stage specific tech or anything like that. lets fix it. i'll start by sharing my opinions on some of the stages and how they affect roy.

Battlefield: Pretty average, nothing especially good or bad for roy from what i can tell. however it can be very bad for roy if he forgets to ban it against the likes of pikachu and maybe sheik

FD: Possibly roys worst neutral stage, i personally suggest banning it every time especially against projectile characters

Dreamland: same as battlefield but you get some cheezy up B kills a little bit earlier

TnC: Pretty good, correct me if im wrong but it has lower than average ceiling similar to dreamland so up b out of shield can be especially potent here. note that if you up b from the ground you can land on the platforms on the left and right sides of the stage during the 3 platform transition similar to marth landing on the top platform of battlefield with up b making it a lot safer.

Smashville: the classic neutral stage, everyone loves it and gentlemans to it quite often, and most often thats fine. however one important note is you should always try to ban this stage against sheik, the platform is too good for her to continue strings, help edge guard, retreat to it with her speed, or just charge needles for free

Lylat: as long as you are careful with your recovery there isnt really anything wrong with it, it can be a useful counterpick to ness because of the stage tilting messing up PK fire and his recovery

Halberd: Not a bad stage for roy in itself, up B out of shield can be devastating on this stage, however i still recommend banning it against all the characters that want to go to it, especially rosalina

Delfino: i think its a pretty good stage to pick if you are against an edge guardy character like pikachu or sheik but you have to watch out for sheik fair strings on the walk off sections, up B during transitions is devastating, i've seen it kill as early as 60%

thats all i've got, anyone else got some input?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I honestly never found any stage to be overly bad or good for Roy, so my stage picks would normally be determined by the character I'm facing. If it's against Sonic I'd ban Duck Hunt and FD and never go to them, if it's against projectile spammers then SV and FD (same for Sheik), etc.

That being said I prefer low ceiling stages for early utilt/up b kills, so I'd prefer DL, T&C, halberd, and delfino.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm honestly thinking the stage picking game is all about the character you're facing at this point. Nothing is overly good, nothing is horribly bad. I mean, the one stage you should probably avoid most of the time is FD, but even then it isn't un-winnable. However, then it would be important to study up on other characters' best stages. It'll be all about the ban hammer when it comes to stages. And I love me some ban hammering >:D

FairyLip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SmoothJazz
How do you feel on Peach's Castle? I'm iffy about it, can't place my finger on why.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
How do you feel on Peach's Castle? I'm iffy about it, can't place my finger on why.
It's not tournament legal so far so it's irrelevant...

..and I don't have it yet ;-;

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Out of all legal stages (and despite me saying Roy goes with any stage) I think I like Dream Land the best. The platforms are conveniently placed to pressure with uair or usmash, and against characters with bad platform pressure you can camp a platform and fish for up b OoS kills. The ceiling is also pretty low so utilt and up b kill pretty early.

T&C is also nice for the same reasons basically, low ceiling and good platforms. But it's wide and open so I wouldn't take Sheik or any character with a good projectile to that stage.

Battlefield is my next favourite, exact same reasons as DL but minus the lower ceiling.

Smashville is fine but it wouldn't be my first pick.

I like FD against characters with no projectile at all; the wide space allows for some cool dance trotting mixups and baits and with Roy's speed you can run to punish people pretty quickly, it's nice against opposing sword users and Bowser. NEVER take Bowser to a stage with too many platforms because his side b is ****ing annoying and an extremely good kill move, with platforms it kills way earlier.

Last edited:

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
I think it should be noted that Roy's up tilt and up smash go through the bottom platforms on battlefield and his down throw below those platforms puts them in a hard to tech situation at certain percent's where they can eat a hard punish.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
For Roy I just pick the stages that have the music I like the best lol. Stage pick doesn't bug Roy very much. He does well on all of them. Just pick based on who you're fighting IE don't take Sheik to Smashville if you can help it and don't take Rosa to Halberd.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Should we discuss a different stage every couple of days like other forums do? @ MiloniVanili MiloniVanili

We don't have to, I was just wondering. Plus, every stage has to have some upsides and downsides for Roy. Or at the very least we could talk about what characters to not bring to that stage and why... It would just make this thread more organized, but anyway that's just my opinion. Disregard it if you wish.

Last edited:

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Should we discuss a different stage every couple of days like other forums do? @ MiloniVanili MiloniVanili

We don't have to, I was just wondering. Plus, every stage has to have some upsides and downsides for Roy. Or at the very least we could talk about what characters to not bring to that stage and why... It would just make this thread more organized, but anyway that's just my opinion. Disregard it if you wish.
I like that idea, I also agree with most people where any stage works for Roy. Personally I prefer the air.... I meant Lylat

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Methinks this thread isn't doing so well...
I like that idea, I also agree with most people where any stage works for Roy. Personally I prefer the air.... I meant Lylat
What about Battlefield and Smashville? I feel that Battlefield is a good Roy stage on account of being able to SH Uair and fair people on the lower platforms and as well as being able to recover high easier. But that doesn't really matter, because his recovery puts villagers to shame...kappa

And Smashville is pretty good because of the moving platform and the flatness of the stage, allowing for increased movement options and the occasional platform pressure.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman

What about Battlefield and Smashville? I feel that Battlefield is a good Roy stage on account of being able to SH Uair and fair people on the lower platforms and as well as being able to recover high easier. But that doesn't really matter, because his recovery puts villagers to shame...kappa

And Smashville is pretty good because of the moving platform and the flatness of the stage, allowing for increased movement options and the occasional platform pressure.
Both stages are great for Roy especially battlefield which allows for better juggling and mobility.

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898

I think that both of this stages should be avoided if you're fighting either Sheik or Captain Falcon, specially against Sheik she has a lot of advantage with platforms specially on battlefield, you give her a lot to string from and recover.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I think that both of this stages should be avoided if you're fighting either Sheik or Captain Falcon, specially against Sheik she has a lot of advantage with platforms specially on battlefield, you give her a lot to string from and recover.
I'm gonna second this, don't take Falcon to Battlefield if you can help it. He will have a much easier time recovering here and he can really, REALLY hurt Roy with the platforms and Roy can't really do as much off of them since most of Roy's combos go forwards. Smashville is actually I think pretty okay for the Falcon matchup. They're both bad vs Sheik but Smashville is definitely worse.

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
I actually find platform stages are great for my Roy, Castle Siege being the best (Is that still a legal stage?)
I was versing this pretty beast DK last night, FD and Smashville and getting destroyed, counter picked to Castle Siege and the platforms helped me mix up my approach on DK.
I love Town & City for Roy as well

Top Bottom