• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk stages

anikom15

Smash Apprentice
I'm inexperienced and not quite sure about how to pick stages, so I just go by feeling basically. The only hard rule I follow is to avoid Dream Land.

Any tips on stage selection for both matches and practice?

Hobs_

Smash Journeyman
My thought process is to not let spacies go to FD (or PS, I'm told), but always take Falcon and Ganon there if you can. BF is also bad for Falcon and Ganon. Same goes for Yoshi's.

Naturally, don't let floaties go to Dream Land.

Marth will make your life hard everywhere but avoid BF and Yoshis, FD isn't such a bad choice.

Spacies can kinda have their game messed up on FoD with moving platforms.

That's all I really have to contribute.

as;ldh

Smash Rookie
I've always seen taking spacies to FD as not that bad of an idea, since you can have all of the combos and chaingrabs you want there.
About dream land, I usually won't take jiggs and peach there, but I would want to play marth there (its a pretty bad stage for him).
I love facing spacies on FoD, its easier than most stages.

Hobs_

Smash Journeyman
I've always seen taking spacies to FD as not that bad of an idea, since you can have all of the combos and chaingrabs you want there.
About dream land, I usually won't take jiggs and peach there, but I would want to play marth there (its a pretty bad stage for him).
I love facing spacies on FoD, its easier than most stages.
My reasoning is they can combo you hard there too, as well as laser camp if they want. Come to think of it I don't do so badly there vs them though.

Zonak

Smash Cadet
One of the guys I play with a lot is an ICs main named Frycook so I've developed some experience in the MU. The best stage in the MU is definitely Pokemon. Easy to platform camp and no top platform limits their approach mixups. FD isn't terrible in the MU, but be ready to chuck a lot of pills because it's really easy for ICs to abuse your lack of ability to platform camp. Dreamland is probably my least favorite stage in the MU, just because it's so big and they can move around a lot more. I might consider playing another character for this stage just because it sucks. FoD, Battlefield, and Yoshis are all pretty neutral in the MU. My least favorite of those is FoD and I know ICs like that stage but I've won on it before so it's not awful.

as;ldh

Smash Rookie
My reasoning is they can combo you hard there too, as well as laser camp if they want. Come to think of it I don't do so badly there vs them though.
I actually love fox on FD, unless the fox likes to laser camp.
Falco on FD can be absolutely awful if he likes to camp; it ruins your approach and gives him complete control of the neutral.

DeepDish

Smash Apprentice
I'm inexperienced and not quite sure about how to pick stages, so I just go by feeling basically. The only hard rule I follow is to avoid Dream Land.

Any tips on stage selection for both matches and practice?
I actually really like Dream Land for Doc. I'm of the belief that platform placement is very important for Doc. The way the platforms for Dream Land are set up works for Doc's pill game and movement very well.

trusty

Smash Apprentice
I actually really like Dream Land for Doc. I'm of the belief that platform placement is very important for Doc. The way the platforms for Dream Land are set up works for Doc's pill game and movement very well.
I like Dreamland too, but absolutely avoid Battlefield like the plague. Not sure if I have a good reason or if it's just residual anxiety from my Lucas getting rocked there by my friends Marth in Brawl.

Max?

Smash Champion
Wow ok, so much wrong info in this thread.

1.) Doc vs. Marth on FD is def in Marth favor if he is competent. No platforms make it so he has INSANE positional advantage anytime you are above him. A good Marth will make it VERY hard for you to get down. Platforms are your friend, learn them and love them.

2.) Dreamland is your friend! The middle of the stage is super good for cgs and combos, Doc can survive forever, and the top platform is actually LOWER to the ground than on BF, which has the highest top platform of all the neutrals. While you may not want to fight Jiggs or Peach here, it's not super horrible vs. everyone else.

3.) FD vs. Climbers is bad for Doc as well. You NEED platforms to avoid their shenanigans. As long as Wobbling is legal, you do not want to get grabbed at all (especially by someone like Dizz), and FD limits your mobility hardcore. Avoid like the plague.

4.) ALSO, Stadium is one of Climbers best stage because there is no top platform, and they can't get circle/platform camped like they can on other 3 platform stages. Be very careful fighting them here, they will almost certainly CP you here if they like to wobble and you ban FD.

5.) FD vs. Spacies is great because they have no platforms to exploit against you. Pills control a lot of space, they can't escape as easily, you have CGs and super good combos if you catch/grab them. Lots of really good stuff here, plus spacies will almost certainly fear you here, so learn the stage well.

6.) BF is super good for Ganon and Falcon, who said otherwise? I'd be apprehensive about fighting Falcon on FD for the same reasons fighting Marth is scary there; monstrous positional advantage for Falcon when you are above him. He can just uair you for days, and you can't do too much about it. BE CAREFUL.

What else do you guys wanna know?

Max?

Smash Champion
What problems do you have on BF? I don't see what makes it a bad Dr. Mario stage, and the fact that there are platforms allows you to escape Marth's Uthrow shenanigans against you. What do Marth's do that make you think its that bad on that stage?

GhotiTheFish

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-1674-6713-8893
What do you guys think is the best stage to go to against Peach? I've been having trouble deciding but I feel the safest on BF because I can circle camp and spam pills. FD also seems good because of projectile spam.

trusty

Smash Apprentice
It's not that i find it to be had for DR but marth has such a big positional advantage her
What problems do you have on BF? I don't see what makes it a bad Dr. Mario stage, and the fact that there are platforms allows you to escape Marth's Uthrow shenanigans against you. What do Marth's do that make you think its that bad on that stage?
t

Top Bottom