• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lets talk Online for Smash

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Kid Icarus Uprising's Multiplayer is the best indicator we have right now for predicting what the next Super Smash Bros will be like online. And that's pretty unfortunate;

1) Complete segregation between With-Friends and With-Anyone; You can play with friends, or you can play with randoms. You cannot play with friends AND randoms
2) No options for other match types in With-Anyone. Timed only, with no stage select, and all items switched on.
3) No lobby system at all.

Of course, I really want to be wrong here. Because otherwise we'd be dealing with a pretty throwaway online component.
Well for one that's early 3DS and 2nd it was there first 3DS game. For actual matches the game plays well, though yes the options are limited. Still it's hardly an indicator for Smash Bros, they are 2 completely different types of games. Choosing the stages in Uprising is hardly crucial and barely affects anything as apposed to Smash Bros. And the combat is completely centered around the items and main weapon. I doubt item less Kid Icarus was considered as a strong possibility since the main strategy comes from using them creatively.

Here is the thing we all have to consider. The Miiverse will be a major part of the Wii U and 3DS. As far as communicating with friends, we can do it through text message or video chat while the main game still runs. That is huge for match making and set up! Chances are there will be some in game option to choose these features from the OS, but it's essentially a guarantee.

Even Brawl gives an indication that we will still be able to customize the game as we see fit with friends. Chances are we will have much more options with randoms as well. The Wii U just lends it's self better to these types of things. Smash is all about complete customization, and along with Namco I don't doubt that playing with anyone will allow stock, item control, time, etc. Unlike Kid Icarus where the main customization from your only your character.

The fact is they have freedom now because of the hardware. And I am certain we will all be very content.

dengel

Smash Cadet
Okay. I have this really good idea for smash online when it comes to friends its not perfect but I just thought of it okay cocking on the online feature of smash 4 to see that you have a challenger (someone online ) attempting to steal your in order to save your rank you can either accept or decline but it you decline you lose rank points if you accept you battle

What do you think its a work in progress.
Problem. If some random person online challenges you, you can't say no if you care about your rank. What if you wanted to brawl one of your friends or you were just getting off? It would be better to keep it less obligatory, so you don't have to stay on to defend your rank. Players can brawl other people to increase their rank and pass you. Though, it would be cool to integrate the whole "Challenge Approaching!" thing online...

I don't know if anyone's said this before, but online play should be split between ranked and unranked like other games. And for ranked matches, their should be a way to test the lag before you become devoted to playing someone. It would be bad to join a match that's very laggy and lose rank because you leave or lose due to extreme lag. Perhaps the ability to leave within the first 10 seconds of a match would work. Then it would become an online courtesy to allow the other player to test the lag before starting.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
Problem. If some random person online challenges you, you can't say no if you care about your rank. What if you wanted to brawl one of your friends or you were just getting off? It would be better to keep it less obligatory, so you don't have to stay on to defend your rank. Players can brawl other people to increase their rank and pass you. Though, it would be cool to integrate the whole "Challenge Approaching!" thing online...

Nice catch.the idea just popped up in my mind while I was eating so I just wrote down what came to mind I suppose the Challenger approaching screen will only matter in ranked battles.

If you were to quit or stop playing your rank wouldn't be lost because its based off a win -lose -tie ratio.as for friends battles they'll remain friend battles not for rank

dengel

Smash Cadet
If you were to quit or stop playing your rank wouldn't be lost because its based off a win -lose -tie ratio.as for friends battles they'll remain friend battles not for rank
Okay, so you're making the Challenger Approaching thing just a way to send an offer to play someone, but saying no has no effect on your rank.

And that makes sense that friend battles don't count for rank, because otherwise, you could build up rank quickly by them letting you win.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Online Match Settings

One of the biggest problems with Brawl's online, aside from the horrendous netcode, was how little freedom you had over the match conditions playing "With Anyone". It made sense not to splinter it into too many modes, but a lot of freedom was lost in the process. I think a good way to address both would be a similar system to the Music selection in Brawl. Let the players adjust what they find enjoyable and use that to the best ability with matchmaking and setting rules.

The great thing is if a player doesn't get exactly what they wanted, it just means no one else was available with similar preferences. After all there is nothing more frustrating than jumping between modes just to find players.

How would you improve SSB4's online match settings from Brawl, or does it need fixing at all?

dengel

Smash Cadet
One of the biggest problems with Brawl's online, aside from the horrendous netcode, was how little freedom you had over the match conditions playing "With Anyone". It made sense not to splinter it into too many modes, but a lot of freedom was lost in the process. I think a good way to address both would be a similar system to the Music selection in Brawl. Let the players adjust what they find enjoyable and use that to the best ability with matchmaking and setting rules.

The great thing is if a player doesn't get exactly what they wanted, it just means no one else was available with similar preferences. After all there is nothing more frustrating than jumping between modes just to find players.
I like this idea.

Naisora

Smash Apprentice
Hey I didn't see this thread before, but imo what they should do with online is scrap the whole FC system altogether and make a sort of "statistic interface" like how FPS games like Battlefield have. Also, assuming the Wii U will have it's own "Network" where you can add friends and etc, you can add them through that. Finally, "With Anyone" should have an option that if you're a host you can set any rules you like, and "with anyone" should also have a matchmaking interface where you can see all the rooms created by players and join them as you wish. You should also have the option that if you host a room to "ban" whatever character you wish, but I doubt that-that would be implemented since it's pretty obvious with the things that have happened with the past with competitive play (Remember Nintendo disallowing MLG streams?) Nintendo hates competitive play. And well to sum this all up...Nintendo should loosen up more. Not everyone who plays Smash is a 5 year old baby who gets upset over messages, not everyone is insecure, having ******** digit "friend codes" won't make those baby's safe...And for a fighting game this series should be public online, and not so private the way it is now. Anyway, sorry if I sound jumbled, but those are my 2 cents.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Hey I didn't see this thread before, but imo what they should do with online is scrap the whole FC system altogether and make a sort of "statistic interface" like how FPS games like Battlefield have. Also, assuming the Wii U will have it's own "Network" where you can add friends and etc, you can add them through that. Finally, "With Anyone" should have an option that if you're a host you can set any rules you like, and "with anyone" should also have a matchmaking interface where you can see all the rooms created by players and join them as you wish. You should also have the option that if you host a room to "ban" whatever character you wish, but I doubt that-that would be implemented since it's pretty obvious with the things that have happened with the past with competitive play (Remember Nintendo disallowing MLG streams?) Nintendo hates competitive play. And well to sum this all up...Nintendo should loosen up more. Not everyone who plays Smash is a 5 year old baby who gets upset over messages, not everyone is insecure, having ******** digit "friend codes" won't make those baby's safe...And for a fighting game this series should be public online, and not so private the way it is now. Anyway, sorry if I sound jumbled, but those are my 2 cents.
Nintendo already said they are getting rid of Friend Codes.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Oh, didn't know about that sorry to get your hopes up, they said no friend codes at Nintendo Direct but it looks like they changed their minds or something a week later. Hopefully they will be better like they claim they'll be.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Friend codes are going to be the whole reason Smash 4 online wont succeed. This game has too much potiential, but Nintendo is so out of date on how online play should be done.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
Don't draw conclusions so fast they did say they'd be better and unified and with Nintendo network I'm sure smash will be fine I mean you saw the non-specific action figure commercial we'll be a-okay

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Friend codes are going to be the whole reason Smash 4 online wont succeed. This game has too much potiential, but Nintendo is so out of date on how online play should be done.
Just because you have to type in a few numbers to add a person, the online for the game will fail? The way you register friends online has nothing to do with the gameplay experience. Brawl's online is consindered a fail because of massive lag and lack of game modes, not friend codes.

Also, i'm wondering if mic chat for online Sm4sh is a possibility now. I remember playing Brawl online while Skyping, caused massive lag and disconnections, so a built-in mic chat system for next Smash online would be nice.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Ok just take it from me with no follow up sources. Yes there will be friend codes. I can guarantee you friend codes are more or less the name for Nintendo's Gamer Tag when it comes to Wii U.

The system is account based with up to 12 accounts per system. We will be able to find each other like adults when Wii U arrives and not be treated like babies. What I mean by that is we will be able to have our own user names. Just trust me when I say the friend codes of the past will not be an issue, at least on the Wii U version.

2nd, friend codes wouldn't be the end of the game unless they were done exactly like the Wii. In the 3DSs case it's one per system which is a major step up from the Wii already. But with the social aspect of like built in text and voice chat and an account based system there are no worries aside from what Sakurai chooses to do.

Now the biggest problem with Nintendo's upcoming console for online gaming is that so far there are no ethernet ports. You want to cut lag down even with super good connections? We need a hard wired alternative to wifi. I don't know if converters exist but that's what I'm hoping for.

Just trust me about this and ease your worries. I talked to Reggie personally! Well in passing and not specifically about these topics...

:phone:

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Wireless isn't too bad, the connection is better nowadays...

The real problem is friend codes. They feel so outdated...

Mulecc

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0173-1788-6477
Although they've already been mentioned I would very much like to see
1) Better connection (of course)
2) More modes for basic brawl (stock and 1v1 options)
3) send friend requests after basic brawl
4) voice chat (even if just in private)
5) Multiplayer ranking (matches won, kill to death ratio)

---
Oh and similar to the above post

6) Friend codes replaced with unique usernames.

GetBentSaggy

Smash Apprentice
Ok just take it from me with no follow up sources. Yes there will be friend codes. I can guarantee you friend codes are more or less the name for Nintendo's Gamer Tag when it comes to Wii U.

The system is account based with up to 12 accounts per system. We will be able to find each other like adults when Wii U arrives and not be treated like babies. What I mean by that is we will be able to have our own user names. Just trust me when I say the friend codes of the past will not be an issue, at least on the Wii U version.

2nd, friend codes wouldn't be the end of the game unless they were done exactly like the Wii. In the 3DSs case it's one per system which is a major step up from the Wii already. But with the social aspect of like built in text and voice chat and an account based system there are no worries aside from what Sakurai chooses to do.

Now the biggest problem with Nintendo's upcoming console for online gaming is that so far there are no ethernet ports. You want to cut lag down even with super good connections? We need a hard wired alternative to wifi. I don't know if converters exist but that's what I'm hoping for.

Just trust me about this and ease your worries. I talked to Reggie personally! Well in passing and not specifically about these topics...
You were wrong.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
You were wrong.
About what? As far as I can tell everything I said was absolutely right except instead of the system being CALLED Friend Codes they are called Nintendo Network ID's. But it functions exactly as I said it would does it not?
I used the term Friend Code because way back when I posted this Reggie used that term before the official reveal of the NNID. So when Reggie used the term of course everyone was getting up in arms and I was trying to assure everyone the term friend code was just that a random term and it would not carry the same negativity that the Wii and DS versions did.

Or is it the voice chat thing? Universal voice chat, ok I got that half wrong, I just assumed with video chat the voice chat option would be a given. Besides that feature could be included in Smash or patched into the OS later.

As far as I can tell you didn't read what I typed up properly and waited months in an attempt to prove me wrong. Only you more or less demonstrated below average reading comprehension. Good job.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Well, if you guys haven't heard, if you want to voice chat, you'll need to buy a 3rd party accessory, which (if I remember correctly) will only be compatible with the Wii U game pad. I doubt they'll implement a standalone voice chat feature without those. I got this from some Nintendo Direct a while back, before the Wii U launched.

It would be nice though. I'd love to talk to my friends while playing, but DEFINITELY NOT THROUGH THE GAME PAD.

@RomanceDawn: I find it hard to believe you spoke to reggie personally, but why would someone lie about that? You don't seem like one who would.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
It's been discovered that any old head phones and mic plugged into the Wii U gamepad will work so don't waist money on the high priced 3rd party sets. I know Nintendo advertised it otherwise but it was discovered at launch.

Wish I didn't buy my headset.

Still we have to either wait for an OS update with universal voice chat or Sakurai's team has to implement themselves.

About Reggie, I was at E3 last year since I did mocap for a few games. But the joke is I only spoke in passing shooting the breeze. We didn't actually have an in depth industry conversation hahaha. If you look at my statement above its pretty obvious. We shook hands, talked about what was shown that day and said our good byes as everyone tried to stop him for a picture.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Well, sucks that I don't have any mic to plug in, and still, the gamepad is only compatible with such accessories. (correct me if I am wrong) I would love to play WITHOUT the gamepad. When I am brawling, I don't expect to play on the gamepad, I expect to play on the Wii U Pro Controller.

don't waist money on the high priced 3rd party sets.
:glare:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
For some reason games haven't taken advantage of the WiiU gamepad's built in mic.
I expect that Smash Bros WiiU will be able to be played completely on the Gamepad screen alone. It would be amazing if they used the mic feature and then we could jack in headphones.

I imagine there would be alot of WOMBO COMBOOOOOOOOO shouts.

grizby2

Smash Lord
hmm.. we're all confident about the console. but.. what about the 3DS? thats just something i cant see happening for the life of me. i dont like thinking about the 3DS version period. would it be limited to just local wi-fi matches? :glare:
i cant help but feel that the 3DS ... well... something wierd is gonna happen to the 3DS. :|

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Unless something goes horribly wrong with the 3DS version, there is no reason to believe the netcode on it will be any different. The real crux is if that netcode will work well in the first place.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Better netcode (obviously)
More modes (1v1, Leaderboards, Ranked Matches)
Lobbies up to 8 people
Can send Snapshots to your firends
Let Custom Stages be played online
A better Spectator Mode
Tournament Mode should be online only (have no idea why they kept it offline)
Replays should have a longer length and should have the option to upload it to YouTube

If they can at least get half of these right then I'm satisfied. But then again looking at Soul Calibur V Tag 2, Namco might just deliver.

Top Bottom