• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

lets talk joy con grip

LoPro

Smash Rookie
yea i made the conscious decision that I would be playing smash with the joy con grip/handheld set-up even before buying the game. I play my switch whenever and wherever (on the train, on break at work, when my girl is in the shower LMAO ) just cause I really do have fun when I play & while I don't play competitively I do plan on joining some local tourneys just cause. My thinking is ..if I can play as comfortably as a gamecube control player then why spend the money? besides its about evolving and getting better at playing .. cause if you can play well with any control then THAT is the makings of a really good player, I'm already used to the old way of playing... I wanna see more competitive players use the joy con grip.

now my question for all is...why not the joy con grip/handheld for you?? with enough practice you'll be comfy in no time.. my friend is a beast in smash and he uses either one...he doesn't have the adapter so he just got on with the joy cons..mind you NO GRIP he plays with the joy cons separate and with the bumpers..

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Because it sucks. The joycons need to charge, they de-sync, theyre both too small and uncomfortable to hold and, they feel fragile. I prefer the wii mote nunchuk over joycons. I can play with joycons but theyre not good controllers. I use pro wired. Its bigger, it never dies, doesnt sync, buttons are bigger, c-stick and analogs are bigger therefore more precise.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I use the Pro Controller and it's far superior to the joycons. I don't know how other people treat their controllers when they play Smash, but I really punish my analog sticks with fast and something strong movements that I really think that the joycons can't handle pretty well. Firstly because the joycons analog sticks feels less resistant and I fear I can break them, and secondly because the joycon analog sticks are smaller and they reach the oposite sides (from left and right for example) too quickly, it's a bit harder to be precise about when you wanna walk or run. The pro controller anallog sticks feels really strong, resistant, big and perfect to play Smash.
The other thing are the buttons, the L and R buttons on the joycons doesnt have a good feeling, and the A, B, X, and Y are a bit too small.
I can't compare to the gamecube controller, but comparing to the pro controller, the joycons are really inferior to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom