• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Talk Controllers!

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
I've never owned a Gamecube and am not excited to get used to the different button layout, so I'm probably going to go with a Pro Controller yet again.

However, I know a lot of competitive players dislike wireless controllers, supposedly because of interference. I might be moving to a place with an actual tournament scene in the upcoming year, and I want to know if that's a real issue people have troubles with at a local level or if it's actually not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. I've personally never had issues with at the couple small convention tournaments I've been to, so I'm a bit doubtful it's really a huge issue.
You can just plug the Pro Controller into the switch dock and it functions just like a wired controller.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
I love the gamecube controller, and I've been using it since Melee, but I think I'm really ready to move on to something else, mainly because of the damn shoulder buttons. Z is a mess, too mushy, small, and overall unreliable for me. L & R I really want analog instead of digital, to avoid having to travel halfway down before the press is registered.

I don't know if switch pro is gonna cut it, because that octagonal gate is so good. I'm sure I can eventually adjust without it, but it really helps over a circle-gate for me.

What does that leave me with? There's the PDP controller, but from reviews I can find, it looks like it's kinda bulky and the sticks aren't really as good quality as the original GC.

Hori battlepad is the last option that looks REALLY good, but I've yet to find anyone who's actually used it and tested out how well it works.

MufN Man

Smash Cadet
I love the gamecube controller, and I've been using it since Melee, but I think I'm really ready to move on to something else, mainly because of the damn shoulder buttons. Z is a mess, too mushy, small, and overall unreliable for me. L & R I really want analog instead of digital, to avoid having to travel halfway down before the press is registered.

I don't know if switch pro is gonna cut it, because that octagonal gate is so good. I'm sure I can eventually adjust without it, but it really helps over a circle-gate for me.

What does that leave me with? There's the PDP controller, but from reviews I can find, it looks like it's kinda bulky and the sticks aren't really as good quality as the original GC.

Hori battlepad is the last option that looks REALLY good, but I've yet to find anyone who's actually used it and tested out how well it works.
Here is some footage with PB&J testing the Hori Battle Pad:

https://youtu.be/5kwPngklJig

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
Pro controller all the way. Paid the crazy price for the Smash themed one too. GC controllers I can still use in a pinch if I forget to bring my own to a friend's or a work Smash event.

Top Bottom