• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about Pikachu at Apex (and in tournament settings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Okay guys, so I know everyone is always saying how good pikachu is, but just look at the top 8 at Apex. Pikachu went 2-5, even with boom using pikachu for the plurality of his top 8 matches. Some of the great pikachu players, like kefit, banze, and dexter were dethroned by the yoshi's of wizzrobe, star king, and tacos respectively. Other pikachu players, such as Sensei and Mariguas, were slightly ahead of the curve and abandoned Pikachu for Falcon for most of the tournament. Jam was lucky enough to play another pikachu main in Kero twice in bracket, avoiding all of these obvious bad matchups but then he had to play Falcon who is a superior character.

Hell, even ISAI dropped pikachu for mid tier jigglypuff. What is going on guys?

Seriously the last 3 apex top 3 have been dominated by falcon's, link's, mario's, kirby's, and puffs. I thought pikachu was the best character in the game what gives? Pika can't even beat kirby anymore as evidence by boom losing the last 2 years to japanese kirbies. And we all know falcon already beats pikachu. So all pikachu has left is beating up on the worst characters in the game like link and fox. Pikachu is just not that good guys.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Um....doesn't Isai just play whatever the hell he wants? It's generally agreed that his Chu is a god among us so he dabbles with others all the time.

Also if I recall Chu isn't nearly as dominant on Dream land as other stages(even going 50/50 with others like Cap there), and since that was the (generally) only legal stage that may have had an effect on play, just like the lack of Fox this year.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
no i'm serious pikachu sucks. Not as bad as fox obviously but not top 5 for sure

prisonchild

Smash Ace
srs though, is it just me or are people slowly knowing how to use Kirby better than pika? I think people 'explored' pika's options earlier and just wrote Kirby off as 'lol utilt' but I've seen some very high-level and technical Kirby's come out lately. kikoushi and moyashi might have started a trend in NA...

i'm not saying that Kirby is better than pika now, just that the gap is slowly closing

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
The age of Pikachu's top tier is coming to a close end; with a new tier list, he will probably be second.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom