• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about Gyro and how to improve with it.

AceStarThe3rd

SmashTuber
NNID
AceStarThe3rd2
I think we all can agree that ROB's Gyro is an absolutely fantastic move.
Gyro can do many things such as
  • Zone
  • Lead to combos
  • Act as a projectile absorber
  • Gimp
  • Interrupt combos
  • Create ledge traps
  • Give phenomenal stage control
  • Cover rolling and spot dodging options
  • Mindgamesssssss

Because of this, I believe that this is what all ROB users should focus most of their attention on. Simply tossing it out and throwing it left or right simply isn't enough.

What are some better methods you use to control Gyro? What are some advanced ways to use it?

Let's try to get as many methods as possible so that we all can get the most optimal usage of Gyro!

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Mister Eric should have a lot to say about this.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
*I think something more R.O.B mains need to utilize is doing shorthopped aerials with Gyro in hand since you can pressure the opponent with Fairs or Nairs while still having the threat of throwing the Gyro against them.
Without doing this they only thing you can do with Gyro in hand is throw your Gyro or Laser which is very predictable.
To do this simply shorthop with Gyro in hand > drop the Gyro with Z > instantly recatch it with a fastfalled Fair or Nair.

*If the Gyro is on the ground you can pick it up by running up to it and doing a shorthop fastfall Fair/Nair which is the safest way to pick a Gyro up imo since you get a hitbox out.

*Shorthopping slightly backwards while dropping a Gyro bouncing in front of you then picking it up again with a shorthop Fair/Nair before it expires is a good way to shut down grounded approaches and if the opponent would happen to run into the Gyro you can easily followup with a Smash/Tilt attack or Grab.

*Learn how to utilize jumpcancelled throws, to do this simply press the direction you want to slide + jump then quickly throw the gyro in the desired direction.

Anyway, i play extremely offensively with the gyro and almost never let go of it once i have one out constantly picking it up again but that is maybe not the best gamestyle for everyone.

Last edited:

AceStarThe3rd

SmashTuber
NNID
AceStarThe3rd2
*I think something more R.O.B mains need to utilize is doing shorthopped aerials with Gyro in hand since you can pressure the opponent with Fairs or Nairs while still having the threat of throwing the Gyro against them.
Without doing this they only thing you can do with Gyro in hand is throw your Gyro or Laser which is very predictable.

*If the Gyro is on the ground you can pick it up by running up to it and doing a shorthop Fair/Nair which is the safest way to pick a Gyro up imo.

*Shorthopping slightly backwards while dropping a Gyro in front of you then picking it up again with a shorthop Fair/Nair before it expires is a good way to halt grounded approaches and if the opponent would happen to run into the Gyro you can easily followup with a Smash/Tilt attack or Grab.

Anyway, i play extremely offensively with the gyro and almost never let go of it once i have one out constantly picking it up again but that is maybe not the best gamestyle.
How do you do aerials with Gyro in hand? Do you mean pick up the Gyro of off the ground with the aerials?

One cool thing I like to do is Z-Drop Gyro >FF Nair/Fair to grab it in the air again.
Its a good thing for mindgaming!

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
How do you do aerials with Gyro in hand? Do you mean pick up the Gyro of off the ground with the aerials?

One cool thing I like to do is Z-Drop Gyro >FF Nair/Fair to grab it in the air again.
Its a good thing for mindgaming!
Well i was too late editing my post how to do it :p But yeah it's Short hop Zdrop > Fair/Nair recatch.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
He means, Z-drop > Fast Fall nair (this recatches it)
or Z-drop > fair

both work. actually, any aerial out of z drop will catch it if done quick enough

Mister Eric should have a lot to say about this.
sooooooon

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
He means, Z-drop > Fast Fall nair (this recatches it)
or Z-drop > fair

both work. actually, any aerial out of z drop will catch it if done quick enough

sooooooon
Yeah any aerial works but i just said Fair and Nair cause they are the most practical.
Also you can fastfall the Fair without lag if you delay the fastfall slightly, but i guess you know already.

Brazen Rook

Smash Rookie
NNID
Phrymz
What I sometimes like to try and do is, if I'm off stage and have a fully or near full gyro charged, I fire it at the stage, grab it with fair, then grab the ledge. It leaves you kind of vulnerable doing this, but once you are in this position you can do:

Ledge jump and immediately drop the gyro to cover below you.
Let go of ledge and jump back up on to the stage while tossing gyro.
Let go of ledge, jump away from ledge, throw gyro, regrab ledge (kind of risky though).
Ledge get up and immediately throw the gyro down on the floor if the enemy is right in your face and tries to grab you.

The reason why you need a highly charged gyro is because a low charged one will simply fall at a low angle, which makes it harder to get and takes longer. A high charged one fired at, say, the top of FD's ledge will make the gyro fly almost right at you for an instant fair/nair grab.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
I think this was posted in some other thread, but If the opponent is about to grab the ledge and you have a Gyro in hand, R.O.B has a spike setup.

Set the Gyro exactly at the edge and jump offstage above the opponent preparing for a Dair.
If he tries to roll up, ledge getup, ledgejump up or ledge attack he will get hit by the Gyro hitbox right into the Dair for a KO, and if he waits for the Gyro to dissappear the invincibility frames stops so he gets hit by Dair anyway.

Not really anything to rely on as the timing is hard to get down but cool anyway!

EDIT: Found out this was from @ Rodaku Rodaku and his Gyro thread a while back, so creds to him for finding it!

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
You can also use R.O.B'.s Gyro to press buttons and move pillars.

Rodaku

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dallas7174
3DS FC
4554-0450-6263
Do i here discussions about Gyros!? IS THAT GYRO SPEAK! GET ME IN ON THIS!

... er hem anyways a few things i have been doing really is chucking that Gyro straight into the air and stay pretty close to that thing in case if i get the grab or anything really... Another trick i do from time to time is while i am on the ground, Chuck the Gyro downward, roll away from the opponent and then run at them and either grabbing said gyro or going for there face. other then that Z-drops are nice and i had a guide of Gyro stuff so yea.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Yaaas, Gyro speak. It seems appropriate to link @ Rodaku Rodaku 's gyro guide here, if he doesn't mind. http://smashboards.com/threads/gyro-game.374032/#post-18119592

Anyway, One of the simplest and most useful uses of the gyro is simply dropping it between you and your opponent. I've seen many matches where ROB fights a rushdown character like Sheik, and shuts them down by blocking them with gyro. ROB could then get free laser hits, or attempt his side-b and hope they don't shield it all.

Of course, if Sheik approaches with an aerial(or bouncing fish), ROB would not be able to disrupt it with gyro, But ROB really should be expecting it in this case. No way past it but over, so ROB should be prepared to either retreat, or retaliate.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Do i here discussions about Gyros!? IS THAT GYRO SPEAK! GET ME IN ON THIS!

... er hem anyways a few things i have been doing really is chucking that Gyro straight into the air and stay pretty close to that thing in case if i get the grab or anything really... Another trick i do from time to time is while i am on the ground, Chuck the Gyro downward, roll away from the opponent and then run at them and either grabbing said gyro or going for there face. other then that Z-drops are nice and i had a guide of Gyro stuff so yea.
Often when I throw the Gyro in the air and it hits when it comes down it makes me think about Future Sight from Pokemon because it is such a delayed attack.

I used this to edgeguard people by throwing the Gyro upwards just off the edge and sometimes they got hit by the Gyro while it falled down while they were trying to recover.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
One funny and almost not useful thing Ive been doing is edge guarding with foot stools to gyro throw down.

If you predict the opponent to do a simple pull up on the ledge rather than the roll pull up you can footstool them as they get up and throw the gyro down, it'll be impossible for them to avoid this after being footstooled.

Kinda useful very situational but it's something to keep in mind while ledge guarding.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Last edited:

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Whoever mentioned z dropping gyro and catching with aerials. Thank you so much I was too stupid/oblivious to think of that myself and it has benefited my ROB game immensly thank you so much never letting go of gyro again

Sacredden

Smash Cadet
Interestingly if you throw the gyro down while standing, it is impossible to see it on ROB's alternate costume....
Rushdown players will run into the gyro while you smoothly avoid contact by backing up....
There is a slight window if you can figure a way to follow besides the dash or forward tilt.....

Top Bottom