• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's list all the Link tech

Brash Candihoot

Smash Cadet
I thought it would be useful to have a thread that croudsourced every single thing link was capable of. From the most useless to the essential to the flashiest. Basically a trials list for Link to practice.

A few rules to help make the thread efficient :

1. Don't repeat any previous listed tech (so make sure you read everything before you post if you aren't following from start)

2. List at least one tech, up to as many as you like (including minor variations)

3. Try and use standard melee terminology, if you have abbreviations or acronyms explain them sufficiently if they aren't common knowledge. Of course feel free to explain the tech and it's utility.

:linkmelee::linkmelee::linkmelee::linkmelee::linkmelee::linkmelee::linkmelee:

I'll start-

Bomb pull > walk > Moon walk > back SH > bomb throw > WL > bomb catch

Last edited:

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Bombchu: Lay a bomb on the ground > hit bomb's fuse with an arrow or another bomb > style like n0ne https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iglL1bVNqT0&t=1m21s (there was a video where he used it and it actually hit, but idr where to find it)

Super Jump (1.00 only): Angled boomerang > jump off stage > hookshot stage > wait > ????

Hookshot cancel (1.00 only): Boomerang > air dodge > hookshot (timed just before boomerang returns) > catch boomerang > more recovery

Jab cancel: Hold crouch diagonal + away > hit A in a certain rhythm (I personally do 2 jabs normally, as I'm doing the jab animations I tilt the control stick diagonal away, then I continue hitting A without letting myself do the third jab)

Aerial to grab: Nair/Fair > L cancel > grab (turn around before grabbing if you used a bair with your back towards the opponent. Easiest to perform on Falcon at mid percent, spacies around 30-50ish percent, floaties at an earlier percent)

Bomb lay: Jump > press Z while airborne while close to the platform OR Short hop > press Z right before you land (easiest when short hopping backwards)

Up B OoS: Hold shield > Up B

Brash Candihoot

Smash Cadet
I discovered something new today and I'm unsure if it's been used before -

Its multipurpose and easy to execute IMO

So you SH backwards a bit (half max distance) with bomb in hand
Drop bomb mid jump
FF to ground
Jab the bomb at max range

The bomb is now laying on the ground

Do it by the edge the jab will send the bomb over the lip

Pretty neat and fun.

Standard Stuff -

Spinhogs - Ground Up-B as you approach any ledge
Can be done from moonwalk, run, walk, or backwards WD (and forward PWL but its risky)

Bomb juggling - Link can smash throw a bomb upwards, pull another, move a bit, smash up throw that one, and continue catching and throwing the 2 bombs upwards

Bombchu: Lay a bomb on the ground > hit bomb's fuse with an arrow or another bomb > style like n0ne https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iglL1bVNqT0&t=1m21s (there was a video where he used it and it actually hit, but idr where to find it)

Super Jump (1.00 only): Angled boomerang > jump off stage > hookshot stage > wait > ????

Hookshot cancel (1.00 only): Boomerang > air dodge > hookshot (timed just before boomerang returns) > catch boomerang > more recovery

Jab cancel: Hold crouch diagonal + away > hit A in a certain rhythm (I personally do 2 jabs normally, as I'm doing the jab animations I tilt the control stick diagonal away, then I continue hitting A without letting myself do the third jab)

Aerial to grab: Nair/Fair > L cancel > grab (turn around before grabbing if you used a bair with your back towards the opponent. Easiest to perform on Falcon at mid percent, spacies around 30-50ish percent, floaties at an earlier percent)

Bomb lay: Jump > press Z while airborne while close to the platform OR Short hop > press Z right before you land (easiest when short hopping backwards)

Up B OoS: Hold shield > Up B

On the bombchu I'm still quite certain it has nothing to do with the fuse exactly

And on the bomb lays you can also do them from full hops and even fastfalls

Last edited:

squirrels4ev

Smash Apprentice
There's a whole thread on bomb jumping already so I'll just leave it at that. There's also an old thread in a similar vein to this one but the formatting is all broken. You could look through it and update the formatting in here if you have the time. The most important techs I learned from that thread that aren't already listed were as follows.

1.) JC Bomb Throw. Allows you to throw or smash throw a bomb in any direction (possibly not downwards, I never use it to throw down) out of a run. I find it most useful right after my opponent's respawn invincibility dies out, because they tend to be in chasedown mode during their invincibility. Run away > JC smash throw behind you can catch a lot of Fox, Falcon, and Sheik players who are trying to grab you with their invincibility.
How-to: (With bomb in hand) Jump>cancel jumpsquat animation with a normal or smash throw. Note that you can throw bombs with Z, so it's almost as easy as JC grabbing. You just have to input the control stick direction of the throw.

2.) Bomb Dashing. I'm not sure where I read about this initially but I didn't see it in that old thread. I might have missed it in the formatting mess, Bomb Dashing is the simple act of wavelanding after you throw a bomb. I get the most use out of this as an edgehogging tool. It's well known that you can use the c-stick in midair to throw an item backwards, thus turning around your character. Many Links and Peaches (maybe YLs do too) use this technique to run at the ledge and grab it out of a short hop. It is less known that you can grab edge from even further away by jumping earlier, turning in midair with the item throw, and then immediately wavelanding offstage before you fall to the ground. The best use of this technique I've witnessed is on the neutral PS stage. Link can Run> FJ> edge cancel on the side platform Bomb Pull> midair backwards bomb throw> waveland> grab ledge. I don't remember what set it was in. I was thinking it was the Kzhu set but it wasn't.

3.) ??? - This technique didn't have a name but SAUS mentioned it in the old thread. As far as I know he discovered it. If you hookshot close enough to a wall, Link's hookshot will "break" or "fizzle" and won't attach to the wall, leaving Link in a helpless falling state. If you perform this sort of hookshot close enough to the edge of the stage, Link's hookshot will fizzle and he will go into that helpless fall, but he will immediately grab ledge out of that helpless fall if he is in range to grab the ledge, much like how Luigi grabs ledge out of an airdodge, only Link doesn't have to airdodge above the ledge and fall to it, and he can grab ledge faster with this technique because he grabs as soon as his hookshot hits the wall, which is an input we can press before the airdodge ends.

SAUS

Smash Ace
There's a whole thread on bomb jumping already so I'll just leave it at that. There's also an old thread in a similar vein to this one but the formatting is all broken. You could look through it and update the formatting in here if you have the time. The most important techs I learned from that thread that aren't already listed were as follows.

1.) JC Bomb Throw. Allows you to throw or smash throw a bomb in any direction (possibly not downwards, I never use it to throw down) out of a run. I find it most useful right after my opponent's respawn invincibility dies out, because they tend to be in chasedown mode during their invincibility. Run away > JC smash throw behind you can catch a lot of Fox, Falcon, and Sheik players who are trying to grab you with their invincibility.
How-to: (With bomb in hand) Jump>cancel jumpsquat animation with a normal or smash throw. Note that you can throw bombs with Z, so it's almost as easy as JC grabbing. You just have to input the control stick direction of the throw.

2.) Bomb Dashing. I'm not sure where I read about this initially but I didn't see it in that old thread. I might have missed it in the formatting mess, Bomb Dashing is the simple act of wavelanding after you throw a bomb. I get the most use out of this as an edgehogging tool. It's well known that you can use the c-stick in midair to throw an item backwards, thus turning around your character. Many Links and Peaches (maybe YLs do too) use this technique to run at the ledge and grab it out of a short hop. It is less known that you can grab edge from even further away by jumping earlier, turning in midair with the item throw, and then immediately wavelanding offstage before you fall to the ground. The best use of this technique I've witnessed is on the neutral PS stage. Link can Run> FJ> edge cancel on the side platform Bomb Pull> midair backwards bomb throw> waveland> grab ledge. I don't remember what set it was in. I was thinking it was the Kzhu set but it wasn't.

3.) ??? - This technique didn't have a name but SAUS mentioned it in the old thread. As far as I know he discovered it. If you hookshot close enough to a wall, Link's hookshot will "break" or "fizzle" and won't attach to the wall, leaving Link in a helpless falling state. If you perform this sort of hookshot close enough to the edge of the stage, Link's hookshot will fizzle and he will go into that helpless fall, but he will immediately grab ledge out of that helpless fall if he is in range to grab the ledge, much like how Luigi grabs ledge out of an airdodge, only Link doesn't have to airdodge above the ledge and fall to it, and he can grab ledge faster with this technique because he grabs as soon as his hookshot hits the wall, which is an input we can press before the airdodge ends.
I don't really have a name for it, but it is as you describe. I think it is also really useful :D Just gotta watch out since you can get yourself killed if you do it at the wrong times (where they will hit you or can steal the edge too quickly). It's notable that you can drop a bit and hookshot a lower part of the stage if you realise you did it at a bad time, but you are in a bad spot at that point.

You can also throw bombs any direction out of shield. You can use that in place of the JC bomb throw, but it will still get the running throw (which sucks) if you throw it forwards.

squirrels4ev

Smash Apprentice
You can also throw bombs any direction out of shield. You can use that in place of the JC bomb throw, but it will still get the running throw (which sucks) if you throw it forwards.
Throwing forward in shield gives you the running throw? I never noticed that. It seems like a lot of the time when I have someone short (like Fox) close in front of my shield and I press A to just throw the bomb forward at them it drifts over their head, so I guess that makes sense. Lately I've been jumping out and z dropping in that situation instead because the bomb never seems to connect if I throw it. I guess if that's the case you can glide toss it forward by starting a roll in the direction you want to throw and pressing A during the startup frames to get a smash throw too, If that's more comfortable than JC throwing OoS.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Throwing forward in shield gives you the running throw? I never noticed that. It seems like a lot of the time when I have someone short (like Fox) close in front of my shield and I press A to just throw the bomb forward at them it drifts over their head, so I guess that makes sense. Lately I've been jumping out and z dropping in that situation instead because the bomb never seems to connect if I throw it. I guess if that's the case you can glide toss it forward by starting a roll in the direction you want to throw and pressing A during the startup frames to get a smash throw too, If that's more comfortable than JC throwing OoS.
I meant in the case where you are running and then shield -> throw the bomb. If you throw it back, up, or down, you stop very much like if you do a JC bomb throw, but if you throw it forward, you still get the running throw. It is much like if you shield and then grab out of run. Unless you wait quite a while, you will still get the running grab.

I think the reason it is not a big deal is because it is uncommon for you to want to run at the enemy and then throw a bomb. You'd either run back and throw it or do some kind of jump throw most of the time.

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
Ledge cancelled Zair is also a good one, it's just grabbing a ledge after Zair to cancel your endlag.

Also, platform cancelled Dair can be useful on occasion.

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
Platform canceled Nair and Bair are so good, even on fadebacks. Especially if the opponent DI's back in at lowish-mid percents, jump through a platform on a tech read, Nair (fading or pushing), ledge cancel and then DJ or waveland jump to follow and Nair again. It's so fast and seamless.

The Carpenter

Smash Apprentice
It's very situational but never forget we have auto cancel Dair into UpB. I catch people with this when I see an opportunity because no one but us knows it exists but sadly the chances of ever fooling someone with it more than once in a set is unlikely. Pulled this to take a stock in a friendly with Fuzzyness and was more than a little pleased with myself haha

It's very situational but never forget we have auto cancel Dair into UpB. I catch people with this when I see an opportunity because no one but us knows it exists but sadly the chances of ever fooling someone with it more than once in a set is unlikely. Pulled this to take a stock in a friendly with Fuzzyness and was more than a little pleased with myself haha
Lovely trick, keep it hidden, ;)

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
Lol, nice! I've done that before, and it can lead to an Up-B kill if you do it just right.

On a side note, how about edgecanceled Up-B to an aerial like N-Air, B-Air or F-Air? I've tried doing an edgecanceled Up-B on the top platform of DreamLand from below to F-Air and the two connected well, althrough I got lucky.

Last edited:

squirrels4ev

Smash Apprentice
On a side note, how about edgecanceled Up-B to an aerial like N-Air, B-Air or F-Air? I've tried doing an edgecanceled Up-B on the top platform of DreamLand from below to F-Air and the two connected well, althrough I got lucky.
Not sure about how guaranteed edgecancel up-B fair is but nair, bair, and uair can all be used because of how quickly they come out. There's a sick combo towards the end of "Don't Sleep on the Link" by Beau on a Marth that involves edgecancel up-B nair and then it goes into something else like dair or uair after he lands from nair. Fair comes out slowly and the edge-canceled up-B has the hitstun and knockback properties of an aerial up-B so you can't hold them in stun for the slower aerials like dair and fair directly off of up-B or they can jump out. Some characters could even hit you with faster aerials like most nairs or marth's fair.

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
Not sure about how guaranteed edgecancel up-B fair is but nair, bair, and uair can all be used because of how quickly they come out. There's a sick combo towards the end of "Don't Sleep on the Link" by Beau on a Marth that involves edgecancel up-B nair and then it goes into something else like dair or uair after he lands from nair. Fair comes out slowly and the edge-canceled up-B has the hitstun and knockback properties of an aerial up-B so you can't hold them in stun for the slower aerials like dair and fair directly off of up-B or they can jump out. Some characters could even hit you with faster aerials like most nairs or marth's fair.
I see. That's pretty neat. I said F-Air because I accidentaly did a F-Air, but I figured others would work better. Thank you!

Top Bottom