• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's just get this outta the way: Should Sonic's Sonic Boom redesign be an alternate skin

McDuckletts

Smash Ace
NNID
JaredandCompany
3DS FC
2105-8715-5535
I wouldn't get my hopes up. I mean, Sonic Boom was just revealed today, so Sakurai probably knew very little, if not nothing about it. As for whether or not I would like to see this as an alt...eh? It's not awful, but I think his Lost World/Sm4sh design just looks better.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I wouldn't get my hopes up. I mean, Sonic Boom was just revealed today, so Sakurai probably knew very little, if not nothing about it. As for whether or not I would like to see this as an alt...eh? It's not awful, but I think his Lost World/Sm4sh design just looks better.
I agree, but at the same time, adding a scarf doesn't seem like it would be too hard...

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure we won't really get Sonic Boom representation in terms of Alts.

Farthest I could see us getting is Stickers or a Trophy. But otherwise Smash has been in development longer then the Sonic Boom TV series or the game has.

Also in case people are worried that this is going to be Sonic's design from now on. The Sonic Boom thing in both games and cartoon is it's own thing. A higher-up in Sega already said this isn't replacing the current franchise.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I wouldn't mind his Sonic Boom outfit as an alternate costume. I would hope they don't change his current proportions though, just give him the clothes. It's the only thing I really dislike about this version.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm pretty sure we won't really get Sonic Boom representation in terms of Alts.

Farthest I could see us getting is Stickers or a Trophy. But otherwise Smash has been in development longer then the Sonic Boom TV series or the game has.

Also in case people are worried that this is going to be Sonic's design from now on. The Sonic Boom thing in both games and cartoon is it's own thing. A higher-up in Sega already said this isn't replacing the current franchise.
Actually, the Boom game has been in development for nearly as long as Smash. If you look at a certain old Cryengine 3 showcase from 2012, you can see the environments in Sonic Boom were actually showcased in that. We just didn't know they were Sonic related at that time.

As for the design, I think it would be cool if they just took the accessories from the new design and made them an alt costume. It'd be easier to do than making Classic Sonic an alt costume, and would help promote Sonic Boom. However, the Sonic Boom show and game are not coming to Japan, so I doubt we'll get the redesign as an alt.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Actually, the Boom game has been in development for nearly as long as Smash. If you look at a certain old Cryengine 3 showcase from 2012, you can see the environments in Sonic Boom were actually showcased in that. We just didn't know they were Sonic related at that time.

As for the design, I think it would be cool if they just took the accessories from the new design and made them an alt costume. It'd be easier to do than making Classic Sonic an alt costume, and would help promote Sonic Boom. However, the Sonic Boom show and game are not coming to Japan, so I doubt we'll get the redesign as an alt.
It's been in development for over 2 years
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/02/07/sonic-boom-has-been-in-the-works-for-two-years/
and it basically got announced alongside lost world and winter olympics

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It wasn't announced alongside Lost World. Sonic Boom the cartoon was announced soon after Lost World released, but the game was not. I have also heard that apparently M&S at the Sochi Olympics is being "discounted" from the Nintendo deal. The Sonic Boom game might be the new second Nintendo exclusive.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
It wasn't announced alongside Lost World. Sonic Boom the cartoon was announced soon after Lost World released, but the game was not. I have also heard that apparently M&S at the Sochi Olympics is being "discounted" from the Nintendo deal. The Sonic Boom game might be the new second Nintendo exclusive.
What I meant by that is that they said there would be 3 exclusives back in january last year, sakuari probably would've looked into that

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
It's certainly not horrible, I'd enjoy it.

Except for Knuckles, who still looks weird.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
No, I don't think I'd like that. If anything, they can have Sonic wear a scarf and have that be another color.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I'd be down for it, just not so tall.

Yes, I'd take the scarf, only if Link gets a scarf too. I liek scarfed Link.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Wouldn't be a bad idea, all they'd have to do is add some extra spikes, make his arms blue, and add sports tape.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Seeing as it's a western only thing we probably won't get anything from it in game.

Also I'm pretty sure the consultant for Sonic is the same guy who wept when he went to visit the studio to review the redesigns.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Id rather Sonic in Link's outfit as an Alt

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
A Riders and Link outfit would be great, but seeing as Sega is pushing Sonic Boom like no tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised if Sega asked for the Boom design to be used.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I really dislike the boom design. Like... REALLY dislike it.

But for the sake of those who like it, I wouldn't mind it as an alt. but the height difference is noticeable. Boom Sonic is TALL. Taller than 06 Sonic. So I don't think it's likely.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I really dislike the boom design. Like... REALLY dislike it.

But for the sake of those who like it, I wouldn't mind it as an alt. but the height difference is noticeable. Boom Sonic is TALL. Taller than 06 Sonic. So I don't think it's likely.
They don't have to make him taller, just add the sports tape, scarf, blue arms, extra spikes, different shoes, and boom, there you have (pun entirely intended)

EDIT: I used my "amazing" Photoshop skills to show how a Sonic Boom costume could look.

Last edited:
They don't have to make him taller, just add the sports tape, scarf, blue arms, extra spikes, different shoes, and boom, there you have (pun entirely intended)

EDIT: I used my "amazing" Photoshop skills to show how a Sonic Boom costume could look.
I would be okay with this. I would much rather Classic Sonic or Metal Sonic, but this isn't that bad.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

One, sick job

Two, I'd say if Sonic has an alt costume (which I kinda doubt but it would be cool) I think it's most likely to be this one, simply because its most likely what Sega would want to push to the masses.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
One, sick job

Two, I'd say if Sonic has an alt costume (which I kinda doubt but it would be cool) I think it's most likely to be this one, simply because its most likely what Sega would want to push to the masses.
He also doesn't have many other options, classic sonic might not work cause he's shorter, metal sonic is a different character so I would hate that, riders is just glasses and different shoes so there's no real point so Boom is probably the best option

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a fan of the Boom redesign at all and dislike the idea of promoting it. Though I agree that if he is to get one it would probably be Boom. However, I would prefer it be Metal Sonic. Even though they're different characters I'd still prefer being able to play as Metal Sonic over Boom Sonic.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Nice one! That looks pretty good!

I also don't think Classic Sonic would be THAT much of an issue. After all, Mario and Sonic were always roughly the same size, and this Sonic is only marginally taller than Mario. (Also, Wii Fit Trainer Male is just SLIGHTLY taller than Female, but just enough so it doesn't make a difference in their gameplay).
So I do think Classic could work.
... however, I'm sure Iizuka wouldn't allow it. He hates classic Sonic. :p And has stated that his appearance in Generations was a one time deal type of thing. :(
At least I'm glad how Sonic looks here, so I'm good with default Sonic.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Sonic Boom has been in development for years though

Last edited:
Top Bottom