• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lets have a debate! Tap jump on or off?

AkashSky

Smash Apprentice
Terms:
-------------
Tap Jump: The act of jumping using the analog stick

Currently, I am of the opinion that playing with Tap jump On is more optimal than playing with tap jump off.

The reasoning behind this is that using any control setup that takes away a control option on the controller lowers your options in game. For example, if you have tap jump off, you lose the ability to jump with the analog stick, while retaining the ability to jump with x or y.

A small case where this can come into play is attempting to do a rising dair. When doing a rising dair, you must jump and then C-stick down (or else you risk fast falling to your death). You could just jump using x or y and then C-stick down, but this is inefficient movement because it requires you to use your thumb twice. A more efficient way to perform this move would be to tap jump with the analog stick using the left thumb while C-stick dair with the right thumb.

Anything that adds more options to your gameplay should be kept.

However, a lot of people take tap jump off mainly so that they do not accidentally use their jump while doing something like an uptilt or up special or up air.

This can be avoided by spacing the analog stick precisely for each intended move. This will prevent the use of the jump, while retaining the up priority on the analog stick.

Do you play with tap jump off or on? Why or why not?

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
tap jump off. I don't like accidental jumps. I'll argue playing with things missing makes you use other things better. I don't have a down c stick either so i play in a way that doesn't need it too much . I use wii mote and nun chuck btw.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
There are more options than just "tap jump on/off" in controller settings.

Tap jump on carries a miniscule but nonetheless ever-present risk of error. You can accept and adapt to it, or you can optimize your controller configuration and never have to worry about it while simultaneously accruing marginal benefits in other areas.

Last edited:

Alderwin

Smash Rookie
I play with it off. I do that so it is much easier for me to dash closer to the ledge and ledge hog with ES from the stage. WIth tap jump on it's not impossible to go from dash to es without jumping but it is considerably easier with it off.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
i also play with it off. as for ur "rising dair" situation. I simply press X to jump while holding down and then press Z while im in the air for the dair to come out =P I'm use to using Z for atks and L cancels. pretty weird but its w/e.

like @ Alderwin Alderwin said, i prefer tap jump off for ledge hog with ES. i find it much more consistent that way

( i also have L as my jump so... yeah)

Mean Green

Smash Lord
They mentioned onstage Up-B ledge grabs, I can't really argue there. I learned pikachu's version already so to me lucario's doesn't even feel dangerous or worth the tap jump off.

I use tap jump off for people like Roy/Link who use dacus or grounded up-B. I don't see the point in requiring button jumping while using Lucario who can rely on jumping out of his up-smashes.

Last edited:

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
You cannot UpB or Shoryuken OoS without tap jump (unless you want to press another button), so keep that in mind.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
You cannot UpB or Shoryuken OoS without tap jump (unless you want to press another button), so keep that in mind.
Yeah but ES is super laggy and a terrible OOS option.

Setting one of your bumpers to A helps in loads of situations across all characters. Usmash OOS without TJ is one example.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
Yeah but ES is super laggy and a terrible OOS option.

Setting one of your bumpers to A helps in loads of situations across all characters. Usmash OOS without TJ is one example.
If only GameCube controllers had a 2nd Z button. Damn you muscle memory. Also you can shoryuken OoS by pressing X a frame or two before A + Up, so that certainly helps.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
If only GameCube controllers had a 2nd Z button. Damn you muscle memory. Also you can shoryuken OoS by pressing X a frame or two before A + Up, so that certainly helps.
Or just switch to Z jump which is by far the superior setup.

Top Bottom