• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's go over the stage options again...

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
Okay so as you know when it comes to competitive play of any type you have your bans/neutrals/counterpicks... What stages do you guys swipe off when it comes to the neutrals? and what stages do you ban when it comes to counterpicks?

Honestly I ban any stage that gives the opponent time to stall out or give them time to process on what to do next.

That being Battlefield, "The top platform" and the duck hunt stage "That damn tree". EDIT:: Forgot to mention Dk 64 stage, you will auto lose there lol that stage ia a must ban

Neutrals:

• Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Smashville
  • Town and City
Counterpicks:
  • Duck Hunt
  • Skyloft
  • Halberd
  • Castle Siege
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Omega Version of any stage

From looking at this, right off the bat i'm gonna swipe battle field, town and city. "my opinion"

For bans I'm getting rid of Duck hunt and Donkey Kong 64.

All the other stages you can wait it out for it to go neutral or to take advantage of the stage change. Same with town and city but I got options with that one lol Mac prefers Lylat over battlefield just because of the platforms being so low. Harder to time him out.

Oh yeah, I don't mind smashville because it's just 1 platform to deal with and sometimes it does save you quite a bit from dying.

So what stages do you prefer?

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Strike Battlefield and Smashville.

Final Destination gives them no area to change it up vertically, keeping the fight on your own terms.

Town and City is "Final Destination with a small ceiling" half the time, and the platforms can actually help you recover (and give you some early Up-B KOs at times). They're significantly less negative than the Smashville platform, that's for sure.

Lylat Cruise's platforms let you harass people with Forward-B, Up-B, U-Smash...They're not nearly as detrimental as platforms that are higher up.

As a Wario player, I -dare- people to take me to DK64 or Duck Hunt. I personally dislike Halberd as a stage, but I think it works well for Mac in many matchups due to the low ceiling and "useful" platform.

Last edited:

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
Strike Battlefield and Smashville.

Final Destination gives them no area to change it up vertically, keeping the fight on your own terms.

Town and City is "Final Destination with a small ceiling" half the time, and the platforms can actually help you recover (and give you some early Up-B KOs at times). They're significantly less negative than the Smashville platform, that's for sure.

Lylat Cruise's platforms let you harass people with Forward-B, Up-B, U-Smash...They're not nearly as detrimental as platforms that are higher up.

As a Wario player, I -dare- people to take me to DK64 or Duck Hunt. I personally dislike Halberd as a stage, but I think it works well for Mac in many matchups due to the low ceiling and "useful" platform.
If I ever go to DK64 I'm going falcon

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
glad someone started this thread.

i think it definitely depends on who you're facing, but smashville is one of the worst stages for mac imo. once faced a pit on the ladder that camped the moving platform spamming arrows. sounds stupid, but mac doesn't have a good answer to the height of smashville's platform outside of sideB and upB. i was able to take two stocks out of three, but it was only because i think he got tired of playing stupid to win for 8 minutes. also, against sheik/ness/luigi, you can get faired all the way to the blast zone when the conditions are right. i ban smashville against most opponents. but mac dittos i'm okay with it.

i've heard that duck hunt is a terrible stage for mac because he can't get up the tree without his upB or the dog or the ledgejump, and once in the tree he still has limited options to fight the higher branches (and the opponent could theoretically run away the whole match), but i haven't actually been camped out on the stage on the ladder (yet).

i still like battlefield, even though i've been camped on the top platform like smashville. the ability to shark the bottom platforms with upsmash is useful. but now that lylat's edges are fixed, i think that would be a better choice than battlefield and i may just start striking battlefield in favour of lylat.

my top counterpick when FD is struck is castle siege. mac can shark the higher plat on the first transformation, can't get gimped and is 'safe' from projectiles in the center on the second, and has a tilting FD on the third. also the in-between stage transformations have saved me way more often than they should have.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
glad someone started this thread.

i think it definitely depends on who you're facing, but smashville is one of the worst stages for mac imo. once faced a pit on the ladder that camped the moving platform spamming arrows. sounds stupid, but mac doesn't have a good answer to the height of smashville's platform outside of sideB and upB. i was able to take two stocks out of three, but it was only because i think he got tired of playing stupid to win for 8 minutes. also, against sheik/ness/luigi, you can get faired all the way to the blast zone when the conditions are right. i ban smashville against most opponents. but mac dittos i'm okay with it.

i've heard that duck hunt is a terrible stage for mac because he can't get up the tree without his upB or the dog or the ledgejump, and once in the tree he still has limited options to fight the higher branches (and the opponent could theoretically run away the whole match), but i haven't actually been camped out on the stage on the ladder (yet).

i still like battlefield, even though i've been camped on the top platform like smashville. the ability to shark the bottom platforms with upsmash is useful. but now that lylat's edges are fixed, i think that would be a better choice than battlefield and i may just start striking battlefield in favour of lylat.

my top counterpick when FD is struck is castle siege. mac can shark the higher plat on the first transformation, can't get gimped and is 'safe' from projectiles in the center on the second, and has a tilting FD on the third. also the in-between stage transformations have saved me way more often than they should have.

I see. Guess I'm going to start striking BF and Smashville from now on... hahaha i'm 2-1 right now on that decision =-d

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Personally Battlefield is my favorite stage to play Little Mac on.
I've written why a few times: http://berathen.com/learntosmash/little-mac-stage-choice-battlefield.php

Basically I feel the platforms help Little Mac much more than hurt him. At my weekly locals anyone who plays me regularly will strike/ban Battlefield because of how well my Little Mac performs there. I usually always strike Smashville because LM has no answer to the mobile platform, but the 2nd strike changes depending on my opponent. Delfino Plaza is probably LM's 2nd worst stage in theory, but I've seen plenty of Little Macs perform well there.

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
I've written why a few times: http://berathen.com/learntosmash/little-mac-stage-choice-battlefield.php

Basically I feel the platforms help Little Mac much more than hurt him. At my weekly locals anyone who plays me regularly will strike/ban Battlefield because of how well my Little Mac performs there. I usually always strike Smashville because LM has no answer to the mobile platform, but the 2nd strike changes depending on my opponent. Delfino Plaza is probably LM's 2nd worst stage in theory, but I've seen plenty of Little Macs perform well there.
yeah you're the reason i started liking BF in the first place. but getting camped on that top platform is a problem. i think on lylat that wouldn't even be an issue, and now that the edges are sloped, i think it's a better choice. but maybe you can change my mind -- i know the upB can reach the top plat, but if they're shielding and you don't hold down to go back through the stage, you're getting punished. what do you do to someone that's camping the top platform? or do you just hope to get the stock lead?

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
yeah you're the reason i started liking BF in the first place. but getting camped on that top platform is a problem. i think on lylat that wouldn't even be an issue, and now that the edges are sloped, i think it's a better choice. but maybe you can change my mind -- i know the upB can reach the top plat, but if they're shielding and you don't hold down to go back through the stage, you're getting punished. what do you do to someone that's camping the top platform? or do you just hope to get the stock lead?
Lylat may be the better choice in the long run, but to be honest I don't have as much experience with the stage so I tend to choose Battlefield given the option. I'll definitely have to play on Lylat more to get a better feel for it.

As for platform camping on Battlefield, how I play against it definitely depends on my opponent. I usually wait directly underneath the platform and just stand idle for a second. I want to see what my opponent is doing. Are they standing idle as well? Do they walk back and forth on the platform? Do they roll, jump, or throw out attacks?

You need your opponent to do something. Throwing out Rising Uppercut against an opponent who is idling will result in your attack being shielded on reaction. If my opponent is idling then I will jump or double jump directly under the platform. In my experience, this usually gets a response, be it a shield, roll, or jump. If that doesn't work I'll jump onto one of the lower platforms and act like I'm about to jump onto the top platform. That almost always gets a response.

Many of my opponents usually give up on the top platform after being hit by one or two Rising Uppercuts. Though I have had opponents that were very stubborn about camping up there and I ended up KOing them with two consecutive Rising Uppercuts by guessing how they were going to DI after the first RU.

This is the same strategy I use on players that camp the top of Duck Hunt's tree and I've personally never lost a game to anyone that uses that strategy.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace

I like it, we should try and find a way to do that with all the tourney viable stages.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I've been brainstorming Castle Siege as a potential Little Mac stage.

Can he punch through the platforms of the 1st transformation?

During the 2nd transformation (inside the castle), many players are tempted to camp Mac by just standing on the top. I know he suffers from this in Battlefield, T&C, and Smashville, but I don't think it's terrible in Siege.

I noticed this just the past weekend, but punching / destroying the statues builds KO meter, so your opponent essentially gives you free time to get your KO punch if they choose to camp on the top, letting you come in more dangerous in the 3rd transformation which is flat and has no platforms.

Edit: I'm a fuccboi, nvm me.

What do Mac mains think of Siege as a stage?

Last edited:

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman

During the 2nd transformation (inside the castle), many players are tempted to camp Mac by just standing on the top. I know he suffers from this in Battlefield, T&C, and Smashville, but I don't think it's terrible in Siege.

I noticed this just the past weekend, but punching / destroying the statues builds KO meter, so your opponent essentially gives you free time to get your KO punch if they choose to camp on the top, letting you come in more dangerous in the 3rd transformation which is flat and has no platforms.

CS is my main counterpick if it's still available after strikes.

1st transformation: he can shark usmashes through the higher plat, his recovery is predictable better because of the walljump (in most cases he will only need a walljump and upB to recover), the middle slope can give ftilt access against characters who could normally duck underneath (i.e. pikachu, kirby, g&w etc.). the only 'con' is that lower platform, as you can't really shark it, but it's still low enough to the ground to pressure without having to 'chase it' like the smashville plat.

2nd transformation: no gimps. i didn't know about the statue-building-KO-meter thing, so there's that. [EDIT: confirmed, not a thing.] if you keep the statues alive though, you're safe from projectiles/spam. also, if you time your smashes against the statues correctly, the freeze-frames allow your hitboxes to stay out a little longer than usual (but don't rely on that, it's pretty janky). upB reaches the higher statue plat.

3rd transformation: tilting allows ftilt access again. basically a tilting FD, which is mac's jam. sometimes this tilting will screw with mac's recovery though, so be careful. also, note that pikachu can QAC all over this transformation, so watch out for that if you're facing a smart pikachu.

mid-transformations: saves mac from gimps. could be counter-intuitive, but if you know you're going to be gimped and you still have your second jump, you could try not going for the ledge and instead, stretching out your fall via counter, double jump, walljump, upB. gotta make sure the screen is shaking though. lol.

Last edited:

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace

That can be a thing... Might have to look into that. Especially since that 2nd transformation grants us K.O. punch leading into a flat spot during 3rd transformation.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
if you time your smashes against the statues correctly, the freeze-frames allow your hitboxes to stay out a little longer than usual (but don't rely on that, it's pretty janky).
Oh well, this is embarassing. So this is actually what happened then in the match I watched. Mac charged an fsmash, hit the statue, and then hit his opponent through the freeze frames. That's what built the KO meter, not the statue.

My apologies about that, I thought Mac had a legit cp, he still gets camped in some form there.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Some questions we should answer that will help with a Mac Stage Guide of some sort:

• which platforms on which stages can Mac get unto with ONE jump
• which platforms can Mac reach with utilt/uair/usmash/up-b

Honestly the reason SV sucks so much is that we CAN'T REACH IT WITH SINGLE JUMP. This is a small but crucial detail, since getting hit out of our second jump is usually death. Knowing the stages we can maneuver and interact with would be invaluable.

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
so, i just watched the stage video on the front page.

dreamland:
seems dreamland is not a good stage for mac. fullhop doesn't reach the lower platforms, not sure if you can shark them with an upsmash, but i doubt it. someone with more money than me, pls confirm, thanks.

miiverse:
longer stage, apparently. almost the same as BF, but no wall jumping. then again, who wall jumps on battlefield? also, less forgiving 'slope' if you don't upB at an angle and get caught by the flat underside.

tl;dr: BF>MV>DL64

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
so, i just watched the stage video on the front page.

dreamland:
seems dreamland is not a good stage for mac. fullhop doesn't reach the lower platforms, not sure if you can shark them with an upsmash, but i doubt it. someone with more money than me, pls confirm, thanks.

miiverse:
longer stage, apparently. almost the same as BF, but no wall jumping. then again, who wall jumps on battlefield? also, less forgiving 'slope' if you don't upB at an angle and get caught by the flat underside.

tl;dr: BF>MV>DL64
Little Mac can hit characters standing on the platforms on Dreamland, but it requires you to be directly under them. The precision required is definitely more than you would see on Battlefield. But yeah with the wind on this stage I'm not getting any good vibes for Little Mac.

Top Bottom