• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Figure out how to beat the Marth MU!

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
Ok guys, so all of you know it to be true: fighting Marth with Luigi is by far, the hardest matchup for the man in green. At least, that's how it's been for me ever since I've gotten in the competitive scene. Your attacks get grabbed or Down DIed to DTilted, your offensive combos can be C-C-C-Combo Breaker!!!-ed, and let's face it, you're dead as soon as you're off ledge or in the air.

Can anyone share their insights on how to conquer this matchup? The best I can think of is to pull off a grab and do a really amazing combo/chase afterwards to death. Although, problem is...grabbing Marth is pretty hard to do since he's really good at grabbing you.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Marth definitely wins the spacing game, but many of his moves are punishable if he whiffs, the key to winning this MU is baiting, try to bait Marth into picking laggy options and then go in and punish, fireball zoning doesn't hurt either. If you get grabbed always DI away from Marth to avoid getting tippered, and don't try to challenge Marth when you're above him.

SuperNova!

Smash Apprentice
Marth definitely wins the spacing game, but many of his moves are punishable if he whiffs, the key to winning this MU is baiting, try to bait Marth into picking laggy options and then go in and punish, fireball zoning doesn't hurt either. If you get grabbed always DI away from Marth to avoid getting tippered, and don't try to challenge Marth when you're above him.
What do you mean exactly by "laggy options"?

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Stuff with high endlag/recovery. Things that would basically be unsafe to throw out normally and if you can bait that out, you essentially go in and hit him with good stuff(combos, etc.). Luigi has plenty of those at least.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
I guess the better question is: how one should punish Marth? My best guess is to go with grabs since you can chain grab til around 20%, from there hopefully an aerial combo can be started.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Marth can escape the CG with a fair/bair if I'm not mistaken. A grab is a good way to punish though because it can start a combo, and Luigi combos last for days.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it seems that's the best way to go deadjames, that route has been working quite for me as of recently haha

TFO

Smash Cadet
How do I get away from Marth when I'm in the air? I always seem to be falling into attacks and there's too much ending lag after the side-B. Also, how do I approach when my "only" option is to come at him? Whenever I use fireballs, he just side tilt-cancels the fireballs and there's no ending lag to punish. AKA how do I beat a campy Marth?!

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
First of all, try your best to never be above Marth as for approaching, the best option imo is the bait something and then WD OoS in to punish the lag.

Last edited:

TFO

Smash Cadet
Thanks! I also noticed that when I spaced by using tons of fireballs, I actually was playing worse because they slowed me down!

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Yeah, Luigi's fireballs are pretty bad for zoning if the Marth knows what moves can eat them, you have to get in as Luigi, if you want to play keep away with fireballs you should play Mario, but even then the Marth MU isn't that great for him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom