• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

let's be honest.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
we pretty much need to optimize our options with all our moves; build a solid fortress with the tools we have.

straight lunge, counter, aerials, up b and grabs are probably our least used/explored moves overall in that order.
Finding more options with straight lunge would be more ideal. When you space it real well your opponent won't have the time to shield grab you or walk grab you before your jab coming to pop them in the face. It has some underestimated shield push back we don't look at.

MarkedRaptor

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0233-0881-8840
Switch FC
SW-4669-5955-8279
The only use I can think of Straight lunge is a potential landing from the air. You can potentially trade if they jump in the air after you? (I think it still has super armor in the air, I never tried?).

Still, you could just counter instead.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
The only use I can think of Straight lunge is a potential landing from the air. You can potentially trade if they jump in the air after you? (I think it still has super armor in the air, I never tried?).

Still, you could just counter instead.
Yeah he has armor in the air, and sometimes if you counter in the air you don't even hit the opponent.

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
welp was messing around with straight lunge i figured out it pretty much eats up ike's up b and side b (uncharged).

gimp him a few times with this and he'll be forced side b onto stage or try and space out to reach perfect snap distance

probably same with peach's upb since she cant snap until she drops the parasol

Last edited:

MarkedRaptor

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0233-0881-8840
Switch FC
SW-4669-5955-8279
welp was messing around with straight lunge i figured out it pretty much eats up ike's up b and side b (uncharged).

gimp him a few times with this and he'll be forced side b onto stage or try and space out to reach perfect snap distance

Phyto that is an interesting thought. It could be used if timed properly to kill an Ike or a Kirby that is attempting to Up B back on the stage.

How many hits can you absorb though, cuz that would affect the time you need to do it. I assume one.

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
Phyto that is an interesting thought. It could be used if timed properly to kill an Ike or a Kirby that is attempting to Up B back on the stage.

How many hits can you absorb though, cuz that would affect the time you need to do it. I assume one.
all, any, as long as an individual move does 7% or less.

yes it is easy/good for killing ike. if he tries to space his upb lower to avoid you , you can just dsmash him then.

for kirby well i assumed this would work but kirby rarely uses upb anyhow

this might also work with fox/falcos side b . gonna test it

edit: nah not as good as i imagined. sure it catches them, but they can still snap without getting hit by it

Last edited:

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
all, any, as long as an individual move does 7% or less.

yes it is easy/good for killing ike. if he tries to space his upb lower to avoid you , you can just dsmash him then.

for kirby well i assumed this would work but kirby rarely uses upb anyhow

this might also work with fox/falcos side b . gonna test it
i just traded a dark pit sideB with a fully charged lunge on fg. so satisfying. not really useful, i'd imagine.

itsmeMOB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
itsmeMOB
Not really. You have to learn how to play him. I've won games where all I had left was 1 stock as opposed to my opponent having a full 3 or 4 stock.

I don't think LM is easy to just pick up and learn, he's hard because you have to train yourself to fight with his awful air game and recovery. His attacks are very offensive, but to me, you have to play Mac defensive or literally like you're playing Punch Out. Punish off of mistakes and mix up your moves in combos so you make it look less predictable for your opponent. I rarely ever grab with him either, but my favorite option off grab is Dthrow into a Utilt, Usmash or Up B.

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
Would Little Mac's custom neutral lunges be better for the super armor? At least the flame one. I don't recall if it even has super armor, but that one comes out faster than the regular B. The electric one probably won't be good for this at all.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Would Little Mac's custom neutral lunges be better for the super armor? At least the flame one. I don't recall if it even has super armor, but that one comes out faster than the regular B. The electric one probably won't be good for this at all.
Fire Lunge has the same damage armor as regular Neutral-B. I think Fire lets you throw the punch out earlier.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace

You can also do that on Shulks UP B. I know you can tank first hit, but I dunno about 2nd hit. I think if he's in speed/jump/Smash monado Art you can bust through... I SAY Smash because he does less percent knock back. Actually I'm interested if it's low percent damage but huge knock back will that knock lil mac out of his armor from Neutral B?

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
You can also do that on Shulks UP B. I know you can tank first hit, but I dunno about 2nd hit. I think if he's in speed/jump/Smash monado Art you can bust through... I SAY Smash because he does less percent knock back. Actually I'm interested if it's low percent damage but huge knock back will that knock lil mac out of his armor from Neutral B?
just %.

for shulks up B i just use counter , not sure if its better than straight lunge

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
Fire Lunge has the same damage armor as regular Neutral-B. I think Fire lets you throw the punch out earlier.
So the armor doesn't come any sooner? Eh, I figured I'd try to contribute something.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
http://www.twitch.tv/newgameplustv/v/4118870 36:00

from 2nd game onward opponents starts to adopt that play to win mindset against mac. extremely hard to deal with. i got a read at the end of game 5 to win the set but that's hardly reliable?

thoughts? advice? criticism :)?
at 40:37 when Pit stats rapid jabbing you. DI UP and mash neutral B. That's what I do against dark pit and pit if they ever decide to do their rapid jabs.

Also what it seems other then the whole camping away to win vs mac. You aren't aware of how to properly punish certain characters. If pit Side B's and you block, You can charge Up smash and get a very nice Punish. If Meta Knight Side B's and goes into the ground he will always pop up backwards and if he doesn't he will stay there.

Any mistakes the opponent makes punish with up smash, any character that tries to quickly get back on stage, use dash attack. But to be effective with lil mac you have to know each and every character in the game on what can punish what so when they make a mistake you'll know what to hit them with.

Last edited:

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
@ Venks Venks that 2nd one... 18m3s on BF, what would you have done?

EDIT: commented prematurely. lol. good stuff @ earla earla , that ending was hype. still, that's such an annoying fight -- i've done that exact thing before, mac vs pit on BF's top plat. venks i've gotta see how you would deal with that cuz it's honestly stupid.
Wow. Earl is just too good at this game. His decisions are just so smart. I really love how much thought he puts into every single choice. Great stuff on him taking that set. It was a shame he was on Villyness's side of the bracket at Battle Arena Melbourne. If he had been on the other side I'm positive he would at least take 2nd. Really thought the seeding would of made it that way. :/

But yeah I don't have any secrets to beating this. Personally all the games I've had against Attila back in the old days he never had a percentage advantage so I've never had him camp me like that. So it's hard to say how I'd do against Attila's Pit in that situation.

It's just all reads. Personally I would sit underneath the center of the platform and stand idle until I felt I could find my opponent's pattern. If my opponent also stands idle on the top platform then I would have to jump to bait a response like Earl was doing. As soon as I think I've found a pattern than I'll go for the Rising Uppercut. And yeah given the chance I'd do the same thing Earl did following with a Rising Uppercut if my opponent is that close to the top blast zone. I especially do that a lot on Duck Hunt because of how high the top platform is. I've gotten KOs around 20~30%

But yeah it's always different depending on your opponent and their platform camping style. You make the wrong read and that's possibly a stock gone. Stuff is lame.

Last edited:

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Wow. Earl is just too good at this game. His decisions are just so smart. I really love how much thought he puts into every single choice. Great stuff on him taking that set. It was a shame he was on Villyness's side of the bracket at Battle Arena Melbourne. If he had been on the other side I'm positive he would at least take 2nd. Really thought the seeding would of made it that way. :/

But yeah I don't have any secrets to beating this. Personally all the games I've had against Attila back in the old days he never had a percentage advantage so I've never had him camp me like that. So it's hard to say how I'd do against Attila's Pit in that situation.

It's just all reads. Personally I would sit underneath the center of the platform and stand idle until I felt I could find my opponent's pattern. If my opponent also stands idle on the top platform then I would have to jump to bait a response like Earl was doing. As soon as I think I've found a pattern than I'll go for the Rising Uppercut. And yeah given the chance I'd do the same thing Earl did following with a Rising Uppercut if my opponent is that close to the top blast zone. I especially do that a lot on Duck Hunt because of how high the top platform is. I've gotten KOs around 20~30%

But yeah it's always different depending on your opponent and their platform camping style. You make the wrong read and that's possibly a stock gone. Stuff is lame.
You only played me on 3ds... And I didn't even use pit back then.

Also, I could've actually camped a lot harder. I lost on bf because I went for a kill with fair; I didn't have to do this. Earl needed me to get inpatient and try to finish the game, and, well, I did. Buuuuut it won't happen again. I've never played like that before; I made the strategy work on the fly.

I truly believe little mac is a bad character, but Earl is just bloody amazing.

Last edited:

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman

Also, I could've actually camped a lot harder. I lost on bf because I went for a kill with fair; I didn't have to do this. Earl needed me to get inpatient and try to finish the game, and, well, I did. Buuuuut it won't happen again. I've never played like that before; I made the strategy work on the fly.

well, i mean, camping is how you increase your chances of winning against mac on BF, SV, and DH. i honestly don't think the mac boards have a decent answer to it beyond venks' post up there.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA

I remember your Falco. Got a 30% jab combo on you because you insisted on DIing in. The jabs went on for so long I told you that you were supposed to DI out. But then you kept DIing in anyways. xD

I also believe Little Mac pales in comparison to Top and High tier characters. He's a character that capitalizes on mistakes, so he struggles at top level play where everyone is much safer and optimal. So any Little Mac that continually wins tournaments is very impressive given his limited options and necessity to be inside his opponent's mind. Earl is just too good.

Little Mac has no real anti-camp strat. All we have is reads.

Top Bottom