• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let Victory be Your Destiny

Let Victory be Your Destiny

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
MurphyPrime submitted a new guide:

Let Victory be Your Destiny - A guide to Kirby's Rival/Ally (?), and other useful information

Meta Knight wanted to be ready for Brawl, so he took performance-enhancing drugs to dominate the competition. However, he was found out by the community, and was banned from all Brawl tournaments. Now in Smash 4 he has given up the steroids, showing his true abilities (or lack thereof).

Overview:

It's probably pretty clear to anybody who has played as Meta Knight in Brawl and Smash 4, but Meta Knight has been nerfed A LOT. This shouldn't discourage people from using him, since he isn't...
Read more about this guide...

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Stuff:
  • Meta Knight is heavier than: Fox, Olimar, Pikachu, Rosalina, Kirby, G&W, Jigglypuff
  • Dtilt doesn't have a sweetspot; the entire thing has a 25% trip rate.
  • Fsmash's end lag is actually quite low, making it useful for frametraps (and a really strong hit if you get lucky enough to connect it). It can hit opponents hanging on the ledge as well, though I don't think it can hit ledgesnaps.
  • Only usmash's last hit hits opponents on Battlefield platforms iirc, utilt is generally safer/more useful in this regard.
  • Fthrow>upB works for a surprisingly decent percent range if you use it with the slide from a dash grab, and it executes much more quickly than dthrow so the opponent has less time to DI it. Also does 2% extra damage as icing. Dthrow is usually better though, imo
  • Uthrow's descent does heavy knockback (and damage?) to anything in the way. Useful in the Rosalina and Olimar matchups in particular, as you can slam into their Luma/Pikmin to kill them easily. Also worth noting this will land on platforms above you and can be used as a kill throw in such situations.
  • Mach Tornado does a lot of shield damage. Against tall characters like Rosalina, if they block you can sit on their shield and likely shieldstab them near the end of the tornado.
  • Drill Rush's ledgesnap will actually cut the attack short and stagespike opponents you've caught in it, regardless of their percent. It makes Meta Knight scary to try and edgeguard for characters with poor vertical recovery!
  • Dimensional Cape's intangibility extends a decent ways into the reappearing animation if you don't attack during it. Also, the attack you get with it is based on the direction you move before reappearing (forward: turnaround slash, 16%; no horizontal movement: 15%; no horizontal movement (air): 16%; backward: retreating slash, 14%)
I also feel I should add that if you're using dsmash to punish an expected roll, charge it. People complain about it being too "fast" to punish rolls properly, when they should actually be thrilled that they get time to charge it for a stronger punish.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Stuff:
  • Meta Knight is heavier than: Fox, Olimar, Pikachu, Rosalina, Kirby, G&W, Jigglypuff
  • Dtilt doesn't have a sweetspot; the entire thing has a 25% trip rate.
  • Fsmash's end lag is actually quite low, making it useful for frametraps (and a really strong hit if you get lucky enough to connect it). It can hit opponents hanging on the ledge as well, though I don't think it can hit ledgesnaps.
  • Only usmash's last hit hits opponents on Battlefield platforms iirc, utilt is generally safer/more useful in this regard.
  • Fthrow>upB works for a surprisingly decent percent range if you use it with the slide from a dash grab, and it executes much more quickly than dthrow so the opponent has less time to DI it. Also does 2% extra damage as icing. Dthrow is usually better though, imo
  • Uthrow's descent does heavy knockback (and damage?) to anything in the way. Useful in the Rosalina and Olimar matchups in particular, as you can slam into their Luma/Pikmin to kill them easily. Also worth noting this will land on platforms above you and can be used as a kill throw in such situations.
  • Mach Tornado does a lot of shield damage. Against tall characters like Rosalina, if they block you can sit on their shield and likely shieldstab them near the end of the tornado.
  • Drill Rush's ledgesnap will actually cut the attack short and stagespike opponents you've caught in it, regardless of their percent. It makes Meta Knight scary to try and edgeguard for characters with poor vertical recovery!
  • Dimensional Cape's intangibility extends a decent ways into the reappearing animation if you don't attack during it. Also, the attack you get with it is based on the direction you move before reappearing (forward: turnaround slash, 16%; no horizontal movement: 15%; no horizontal movement (air): 16%; backward: retreating slash, 14%)
I also feel I should add that if you're using dsmash to punish an expected roll, charge it. People complain about it being too "fast" to punish rolls properly, when they should actually be thrilled that they get time to charge it for a stronger punish.
Lots of great stuff, thanks for the info. Some of that I knew about but didn't incorporate. Like the up throw suggestion. I play on Final Destination almost exclusively so I didn't test some of that out. Most of the stuff you commented about I didn't really think of while writing the guide, but you're right. I will also say that I spent 10 minutes down tilting Mario to test it, and it always did it at the tip. But I just checked and you're right, so weird I guess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom