• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lending me a (Master) Hand

Bigg_Official

Smash Rookie
NNID
littlesnowball
Switch FC
SW-3288-0122-4917
Hi, so I've played Smash for a couple years, starting with Melee, and I've been interested in getting involved competitively since Smash 4. With this new iteration of Smash, I naturally wanted to be the best I could with some of my mains (Luigi mainly). However, I'm running into a bit of an issue, and it's a big one.

I can't really play well. Period. I don't know why but for some reason I struggle to pick up on combos or just the basic understandings of certain characters (i.e. any sort of basic Luigi combos I'm unable to pull off). It's not like this is the first time I'm like this, I've had this issue even in Smash 4, it's just that I have a hard time beating even sometimes trolls on online matches.

My W-L record is hovering somewhere around like 30-90, which obviously is terrible. Doesn't seem like there's a character I can easily pick up and perform combos with. Does anyone really have any good tips for a player like me? I don't really care about being good enough to fight the top competitive players, just good enough to get some nice wins in online play.

P.S. Apologies if this is in the wrong category.

LIL ELF

Best Smasher in North Pole
Switch FC
SW-6612-9831-3124
I mean you probably know it already but fighting CPU is always a good way to improve. If I were you I would go in training mode set up an omega map versus an lvl 7 cpu and grind in that training mode for hours. When you feel that you're getting better, up the CPU level until you reach nine. AND THEN when you feel comfortable enough, go fight online so you get use to human player. And dont worry if you lose you can always bounce back with the GPS system!

Bigg_Official

Smash Rookie
NNID
littlesnowball
Switch FC
SW-3288-0122-4917
I mean you probably know it already but fighting CPU is always a good way to improve. If I were you I would go in training mode set up an omega map versus an lvl 7 cpu and grind in that training mode for hours. When you feel that you're getting better, up the CPU level until you reach nine. AND THEN when you feel comfortable enough, go fight online so you get use to human player. And dont worry if you lose you can always bounce back with the GPS system!
Thanks but quick question, how come only level 7? Wouldn't level 9 be the way to go since it's the most difficult and closest to real player skill levels?

LIL ELF

Best Smasher in North Pole
Switch FC
SW-6612-9831-3124
Thanks but quick question, how come only level 7? Wouldn't level 9 be the way to go since it's the most difficult and closest to real player skill levels?
I mean it's like if you wanted to learn how to be good at playing piano. Would you start by learning some basic stuff and gradually learn how to play some master piece or would you start off with trying to learn the hardest possible piano song without knowing how to play? At the end you could always start with lvl 9 cpu but if you're having a hard time playing, it's just gonna be a more frustrating experience and even might make you wanna quit the game. In the other hand starting with lvl 7 is gonna give you a smoother experience.

Bigg_Official

Smash Rookie
NNID
littlesnowball
Switch FC
SW-3288-0122-4917
I mean it's like if you wanted to learn how to be good at playing piano. Would you start by learning some basic stuff and gradually learn how to play some master piece or would you start off with trying to learn the hardest possible piano song without knowing how to play? At the end you could always start with lvl 9 cpu but if you're having a hard time playing, it's just gonna be a more frustrating experience and even might make you wanna quit the game. In the other hand starting with lvl 7 is gonna give you a smoother experience.
True. Thanks for the tip.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'd say start with level 3 or 5 so you can get a grasp on how moves are meant to function on a foe who's failing to fight back. Then when you have a solid enough grasp of combos to feel comfortable with trying to string them together reliably, move up to level 7 so you can feel what it's like to try landing combos on opponents who have some idea on how to slip out of them. Then move up to level 9, and from there to humans.

Top Bottom