• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Sakurai: Pikachu's Awakening

EZVega

Smash Cadet
NNID
EZVega
3DS FC
4339-2521-0738
What's up guys? I got plenty of good information to share about Pikachu after playing with him for a couple of weeks competitively. Out of all the starting characters, Pikachu was the most fluid to me and I'm here to lay it down and tell everyone why. First, I'd like to say most of my wins online and in person have come from using Pikachu's arsenal of baits and quick entry.

Since I've posted this guide, I've made some new discoveries and will continue to make discoveries as we all play the game. This also means I'll be updating when the Wii U version is released.

Various Combo Options:
Having issues knowing what you could possibly do with the Chu? Here's some ideas I've put to good use.

Bump them up off the ground with an up-tilt. This is the easiest combo to do with Pikachu that can be chainlinked to another series of attacks. Example of one you can do on heavies like Ganondorf: U-tilt (3-4x) -> f-tilt. (Mix it up. I make variations of this all the time.)

Another thing you can combo from is Pikachu's f-throw from 0%. Rack up some hits with the shocker then jump into f-air. Fastfall land and then f-air again as needed. Be careful though. Players will often throw out their interrupter and punish you upon landing, so be wary of how your opponent handles their air game.

For floaties, it's really fun to start up an assault from Pikachu's up-throw. Now they don't have to be super floaty for it to work well. In some cases, more resilient characters will need to be popped up at around 60~80%. Up-throwing can directly flow into Pikachu's Thunder (down-b). If your opponent gets bumped up into the cloud, you can spike your opponent down into Pikachu's body which becomes an active hitbox with a lot of power. On mid to lightweight, this will KO at the edge at around 110%.

Pikachu's f-air is probably one of the most reliable airs you can use for combo starters, but I wouldn't recommend it if your opponent is grounded. It will be easy to shieldgrab and punish due to the little amount of landing lag you get from it; it's enough to get slammed.

When the gimps in the crib, ma?

Throw out some neutral b's to keep 'em back if you're horizontal from or above them, if you're playing edge game. Stun them enough to where you can just fall down and u-air. Unless you're feeling lucky, then footstool them and edgeguard with d-airs. If you're confident your opponent is panicking enough to try immediately recovering from off-edge, d-air them back to the blast zone.

I know there's a lot of heat right now about Little Mac, but I've played both sides of the coin with him and he is a pain train for Pikachu. Pikachu is fairly light in weight compared to Little Mac's hits, so whatever you do, don't get an uppercut anywhere past 60%. Taking some f-smashes can be done. VI as much as possible if you have difficulties surviving against them.

To handle a Little Mac with Pikachu, use neutral b's (but do NOT stand there doing it) to rack up some small damage. You can quick attack them a couple of times to bait them into attacking the air. Grab them and back-throw them off the edge. They can be gimped easily with a small aerial neutral-b or n-air. I recommend n-air because it'd push him back enough to keep him from even reaching the edge. Be cautious with the physical approach, though. If you're feeling confident in fighting a Little Mac on stage, don't go challenging any of his attacks. Use grabs, pop-ups like u-tilt and quick attacks to bait (this will be covered further down).

Approaching Options:

Pikachu has enough speed that he can simply dash in and get a good grab. For middleweight characters like Mario, it's pretty easy to space them out with neutral b's from both the ground and air. It wouldn't matter if they were reflected by a cape or Reflector, it'll be easy to jump right over them or have the following thunderjolt cancel the reflected jolt. When your opponent is starting off from 0% it's not a bad idea to rack up damage anyway you can. Space them out with the jolts and pay close attention to their movements. This will let you know whether a player is good at spacing and approaching or not. They can't even approach you with dodgerolls and spotdodges if you neutral b back and forth within a short space. Pikachu doesn't get much landing lag from hitting the ground after neutral b's so it's reliable enough to give you the opponent's body when they try to attack you up close.

His f-air and u-air make good approaching tools as well. It helps to mix them up since, again his aerials don't have much landing lag unless you're trying to approach with d-airs (don't do that unless you're edgeguarding). If you get the f-air in, you can go straight into a grab. At the same time, you risk getting shieldgrabbed, so pay close attention to the player's movements and their character. I like to f-air first, and if it rams a shield, I'll spotdodge within the next 2 frames in case of shieldgrabs. Every so often, I'll empty jump if I'm within f-smash range, bait them into shielding and get the grab.

Delta QA's:

Quick Attacks are super-sexy in this game. We've seen how some players in PM would quick attack from left to right, to get a good hit confirm on an opponent or enter their space. The concept is about the same. It does enough hitstun to where you can quick attack into your opponent (granted, you're not getting shielded) and u-tilt. It's good if you want to pop an enemy off the ground. You can another set of quick attacks into your opponent and down into the ground beneath their predicted landing zone. You can set up for:

• F-smash if they're going to fall in front of you, but I recommend waiting for a tech-chase
  • U-smash if they're going to fall on top of you or two short spaces in front of you
  • Tech-chase grab into b-throw off the edge, gimp with f-air if they're horizontal from or above the ledge. Gimp with d-air if below.
  • Jump away down-b. You don't want to stand in place and get struck by your own Thunder if you can save yourself the punishment time after lag with a smash.
  • D-Smash, but I rarely do this for falling opponents.
Quick Attacks are also really good for baiting. You can make a faux-wavedash (I just call it QuickDash) by QA'ing diagonally out of a jump. Opponents almost always try to punish it and miss (or get hit if you dash through them). Heavies like Bowser normally attempt to punish me, but while they're trying to get up from an u-air or f-smash, I just punish them after the QD. If you're under heavy pressure, you can QD then QA into your opponent or away from them to gain space. Lucinas and Marths will normally attempt to control your space, but they're easily overwhelmed by QAs and well-placed grabs that force them into the air.

Want some really good bait with that dish of pain?

QA in place. Perform the QA action (up-b of course) up then down within the first 2 frames of startup. Don't worry about doing it in front of your opponent, it will scare them into trying to chase you elsewhere and you can punish them for it. There's minimal lag penalty for doing this. If your enemy is close enough after you've done this in place, down-b them. If they grab you, they get shocked. If they attack you and they're too slow to punish you entirely, they get shocked. If an opponent is rolling around you or trying to approach you dead-on, QA in place.

Pikachu's hitbox for QA'ing in place is deceptively big. It'll knock them off the ground which will immediately combo into a down-b if their damage is high and they're floaty. U-Smash if they're fast fallers or at lower damage. If you want to just rack up damage after they've lifted off the ground. QA into them and then back to the ground.

But there's no Quick Attack Cancel?

Wrong. They're there, but it requires a little work. Zipping into the ground at a 45 degree angle on a slope I believe will allow you to pop back up and attack again. It's easy work in previous Smashes, but this will take a little practice to get down. This sets up for quick get-aways or you could pop your opponent off the ground and DACUS* them into submission.

*For those who don't know what DACUS means: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Dash_attack_canceled_up_smash

Match-ups:
If some of the matchups don't seem quite right, let me know. All of this is based on experience with skilled and witty players. However, there are some characters I have not fought so not all of them will be listed.

Top Matches:
  • Lucina
  • Dark Pit
  • Donkey Kong
  • Marth
  • Luigi
  • Olimar and Alph
  • R.O.B.
  • Mii Gunner
  • Jigglypuff
  • Captain Falcon
  • Fox
  • Little Mac (*Very player dependent)
  • Yoshi
  • Diddy Kong
  • Zelda
  • Shulk
  • Charizard
Mid:
  • Peach
  • Mario
  • Greninja
  • Palutena
  • Ganondorf
  • King Dedede
  • Mii Brawler
  • Pit
  • Link
  • Toon Link
  • Villager
  • Pikachu
  • Pac-Man
  • Fox
  • Falco
  • Mega Man
  • Ness
  • Wii Fit Trainer
Bad Matches:
  • Bowser
  • Lucario
  • Dr. Mario
  • Mario
  • Sheik
  • Duck Hunt
  • Metaknight
  • Samus
  • Sonic
  • Mii Swordsman
  • Zero Suit Samus
  • Rosalina & Luma (It's doable but you have to be extra cautious)
  • Link
  • Robin
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Wario
  • Mr. Game and Watch
Heavies seem to be fairly easy with Pikachu as long as you're able to run in then grab and get them off the ground. Though, a good Bowser will pressure you enough to get a decent bump on you with a jab. Donkey Kong isn't a tough of a match, but I haven't fought enough of them to give a proper evaluation on them. There's plenty of other characters to try and plenty to fight. I think Pikachu is a great and viable character for most, but it's great to consider an alternative if you're at ends with his worst matchups.

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
QA is sounding very, very good for offense

Pika is for sure A tier, he's just gotten such an incredible speed boost. He's AT LEAST bottom A tier, as you said

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
Ah, here we go. the first "Pika Guide"!

Glad I didn't have to do anything.

Thanks a bunch for compiling this information.

I agree with the QA's, super cool.

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
Il give my 2 cents on a few MUs

IMO our harder MUs are lucario Rosalina and diddy while the sorta hard ones are ZSS peach mario and greninja falcon

lucario is basically a super buffed brawl lucario which is a pain in the ass he kills us stupid early when we slap him up. honestly if you want to know how to 100% beat every single lucario in bracket kill him once time him out. its evil but it works and you dont have to deal with jank.

Diddys normals are crazy good i havent figured out how to counter his basic moves his areials all out space ours hard his kill setups are hella stupid we can combo him and we have a good anti naner game

Rosa is stupid as @#@# fighting her is sticking your head into a meat grinder i need to study her more.

ZSS is just faster then us i find her to be a little bit tough but very beatable she has annoying gimicks.

peach UGH i hate her so much she is anti fun to fight. you cannot combo her easily cause lol nair Dair is so stupid for damage and i havent figured out entirely how to deal with her plus her ability to bait is so pesky.

i think mario is even although be careful of his combo game and ability to gimp us with cape. playing footsies with mario and zoneing him works so well dont over extend your agro though he will body us hard a lot of this MU is bait punish and spacing him out.

Greninjas safe keep away game is a royal pain. his kill moves and speed also make killing a lot easier for him then us I dont think this is so much bad as its another thats just frustrating. i think hes one character i actually like destroying

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Greninja is truly a pain to deal with, I feel you have to play very patiently and somewhat campy to get anything going on him, how slippery he is makes a lot of punishes a bit hard to land. Be careful recovering as the water really kills any momentum quick attack has and if youre sent up high by an attack he can also push you past the blast zone at the top. Gimping is also pretty difficult since he has a nice amount of recovery tools.

I usually stay out of these kinds of things since I'm a very mediocre player so take everything with a lot of salt.

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
I see Pikachu becoming a (high) mid-tier at the lowest, all-around there really is nothing that really trumps Pikachu too bad, since he has all the tools to become great, It all comes down to the player.

Last edited:

EZVega

Smash Cadet
NNID
EZVega
3DS FC
4339-2521-0738
Inquiring from ESAM at some point, I'll probably add on later. I've gained some more experience with matchups and learned some new options for him.

Top Bottom