• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legality Legality of replacing controller buttons with microswitches

antichamber

Smash Rookie
Being a tinkerer, I was thinking about how you could replace the cheap membrane switches in a gamecube controller with much better quality switches, specifically microswitches like the ones found in arcade joysticks. I think this could be a very interesting option for competitive players, and it would be a fun project for me. However, to make this work, you would have to completely remove part of the logic board, probably do shell modifications, and it may be unfair to people that cannot obtain one. Would it be legal for competitive play? Or is this not worth it?

Pauer

The Pauerful
I remember having seen a project almost identical to what you suggested somewhere, either on smashboards or reddit but I can't seem to find it right now. Maybe try searching for it, it was probably on reddit.
Regarding legality, that depends entirely on the ruleset of the tournament. However, most of the time these rules are rather vague or might not directly apply to your controller. It might be best to contact the TO of tournaments you go to with pictures of the modification and ask whether they would allow it or not. I can imagine most TOs would be fine with it.

Edit: this might be it, but I thought it I remembered it looking slightly differently.

Last edited:
Top Bottom