• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Leffen's "Pocket Mewtwo"

BeldorTN

Smash Rookie

So Leffen plays a competent M2. He used it a lot @ DreamHack 2016, so there's hope that he will use it again in the near future if he doesn't see the need to go Fox (as disrespectful as it is).

Maybe we get to see some options we weren't aware of yet. Especially like his usage of Baby Shadow Balls while recovering.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
What I find hilarious is the commentator's complete lack of knowledge of Mewtwo. It's like the just spout "Mewtwo is garbs hurdur" yet they don't really say why other than he's light and doesn't have a lot of ground speed.

First video, first match, three stock. Commentator's response: "I feel that Stax was doing the right thing the whole match, but the flubs were so bad." - Haha, no. He wasn't doing the right things. Leffen just owned him, he didn't even need Stax to accidently suicide for that to have happened either.

Second match, Leffen messes up with a shadowball and suicides, commentators laugh and joke about his mistake. No bias at all here guys! I mean it's not like he just walked off the ledge at 0... oh wait, his opponent did that last game and it was a terrible tragedy. Shortly after pulls off a very controlled combo against Fox, and the commentator jokes claiming Leffen's thoughts where "dur I wonder if this works".

If Leffen was Fox, they wouldn't have made these comments at all. This is just them justifying their own bias against Mewtwo. I'd go on, but I think I made my point. I talk about how people have placed Mewtwo so low for so long based on bias from the very early stages of the meta and people call me crazy. Suddenly a top level player is giving Mewtwo a chance (even if he thinks Mewtwo is a joke character) and doing awesome stuff and people just take it as he is some kind of oaf, or that he's just sorta wandering into the character without prior knowledge. If this isn't strong evidence behind all I've been saying, I don't know what is.

Last edited:

BeldorTN

Smash Rookie
What I find hilarious is the commentator's complete lack of knowledge of Mewtwo. It's like the just spout "Mewtwo is garbs hurdur" yet they don't really say why other than he's light and doesn't have a lot of ground speed.

First video, first match, three stock. Commentator's response: "I feel that Stax was doing the right thing the whole match, but the flubs were so bad." - Haha, no. He wasn't doing the right things. Leffen just owned him, he didn't even need Stax to accidently suicide for that to have happened either.

Second match, Leffen messes up with a shadowball and suicides, commentators laugh and joke about his mistake. No bias at all here guys! I mean it's not like he just walked off the ledge at 0... oh wait, his opponent did that last game and it was a terrible tragedy. Shortly after pulls off a very controlled combo against Fox, and the commentator jokes claiming Leffen's thoughts where "dur I wonder if this works".

If Leffen was Fox, they wouldn't have made these comments at all. This is just them justifying their own bias against Mewtwo. I'd go on, but I think I made my point. I talk about how people have placed Mewtwo so low for so long based on bias from the very early stages of the meta and people call me crazy. Suddenly a top level player is giving Mewtwo a chance (even if he thinks Mewtwo is a joke character) and doing awesome stuff and people just take it as he is some kind of oaf, or that he's just sorta wondering into the character without prior knowledge. If this isn't strong evidence behind all I've been saying, I don't know what is.
I know, right?

I lost it when they mentioned M2 being slow on the ground AND in the air, despite M2 having the 3rd best wavedash in the game (perfect length wavedash has similar speed to Fox' running speed iirc) AND a top 3 horizontal air speed. Not to mention that Leffen was showing off M2s movement during the entire game.

I mean, they mentioned M2s lack of traction and low weight, which is fine. They could have mentioned M2 struggling with pressuring shields, which would also be fine, because it's true.

But it's blatant misinformation and commentary like this that prevents many players from even TRYING to play low tiers. They get talked about as if the strengths they have were negligible and the weaknesses were all they have.

The only exception I remember was aMSa's upset against M2K. And even then they knew nearly nothing about Yoshi.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I just wish that Leffen beat Ice with Mewtwo. Clearly, it was not an impossible task. From what I saw he basically lost an entire stock due to a flub suicide, and there was only one stock in which ICE actually dominated, in the form that he pretty much destroyed a stock quickly; however, up until that point the match was squarely in Leffen's control. If Leffen had that lost stock, it's very possible he could have turned things around. At the very least, it likely wouldn't have been a close match and definitely not a two stock.

Another example of group bias is that I asked people in the Nordic Melee Netplay group on discord about the match, and they all claimed that he "got rekt" in his grand finals match. Since when is getting 2 stocked "getting rekt"? Getting wrecked is like getting 3 stocked or worse for a whole set, it's a shut out. It's not a two stock match in which the loser actually held stage control for the majority of the time... Also, he flubbed a suicide, which apparently only factors in if you are playing Fox and walk off the stage, at least according to those commentators.

Anyways, I'm glad Leffen is playing Mewtwo, even if he thinks Mewtwo sucks. He'll do really awesome things with the character despite this, and it will be harder for people to claim that he's just derping around after he takes even more matches from known players. Now if only Taj would come out of retirement and Zoma traveled to Europe or the US, then we might actually see representation to really turn some heads rather quickly.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
But it's blatant misinformation and commentary like this that prevents many players from even TRYING to play low tiers. They get talked about as if the strengths they have were negligible and the weaknesses were all they have.
As someone who has spent a lot of time researching the bottom half of the cast, this is a problem I see a lot and aside from making low tier players mad, it just leads to a lot of uninsightful and uninteresting commentary for everyone watching. I'm thinking of making a low tier commentary cheat sheet or something so at the very least they'll have something to reference to avoid screwing up the basics.

I'll probably consult certain people via private message to make sure my information is correct but it's gonna be a pretty long project all things considered. I'll do my best to get it out quickly.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Maybe they should just fly you and DJ Nintendo out anytime there is a possibility of a low tier being on stream.... they should bring me along too, I have way too much useless knowledge about mid-low tiers :)

It used to bother me but now I don't mind commentators not knowing about low tiers, it's bound to happen since they are so rare. But the big problem is most (even people like Tafo) are willing to just make stuff up and always seem tempted to act like they are knowledgeable on low tiers or their MUs which they have no experience with (probably just nerves and stream commentating pressure).

A little while back I had posted in my local FB smash group about Mewtwo maybe being the next character to see large improvement and relevance like Yoshi (if a technical capable player came along, I mentioned Zoma in JP too). All the locals; most of whom have never even used the character once, let alone faced a competent Mewtwo in bracket started LOLing and talking trash on Mewtwo and saying I was nuts. Some kid said "So and so told me that Mewtwo's only fastest move was grab and that was 7-8 frames LOL what a trash character, don't be dumb" to which I replied that he had several moves faster than that; his Ftilt, Dtilt, Fair, Nair....2 other simpletons replied to me that no one likes a "frame *****" and that people who talk about frame data suck at the game. A few people liked those comments. Sooooo some 13 year old attacks me and gives wrong frame info and I simply correct him...now I am the evil one. My local scene is filled with basic white trash though....so I guess I should have expected it.

Anyways it's funny how small-minded people still are about this game and how willing they are to pounce on anyone that mentions rare characters. Especially after what Yoshi did with AmSa, I think you'd have to be really unintelligent or naive to not at least consider possible untapped potential in rare characters that actually have a lot of wholly unique or high tier traits.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
As someone who has spent a lot of time researching the bottom half of the cast, this is a problem I see a lot and aside from making low tier players mad, it just leads to a lot of uninsightful and uninteresting commentary for everyone watching. I'm thinking of making a low tier commentary cheat sheet or something so at the very least they'll have something to reference to avoid screwing up the basics.

I'll probably consult certain people via private message to make sure my information is correct but it's gonna be a pretty long project all things considered. I'll do my best to get it out quickly.
this is a great idea. i get really upset when commentators give misinformation, especially seasoned ones who should at least know the basics of other characters after playing for 4+ years.
basic white trash
let's not go that direction ever

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
Maybe they should just fly you and DJ Nintendo out anytime there is a possibility of a low tier being on stream.... they should bring me along too, I have way too much useless knowledge about mid-low tiers :)

It used to bother me but now I don't mind commentators not knowing about low tiers, it's bound to happen since they are so rare. But the big problem is most (even people like Tafo) are willing to just make stuff up and always seem tempted to act like they are knowledgeable on low tiers or their MUs which they have no experience with (probably just nerves and stream commentating pressure).

A little while back I had posted in my local FB smash group about Mewtwo maybe being the next character to see large improvement and relevance like Yoshi (if a technical capable player came along, I mentioned Zoma in JP too). All the locals; most of whom have never even used the character once, let alone faced a competent Mewtwo in bracket started LOLing and talking trash on Mewtwo and saying I was nuts. Some kid said "So and so told me that Mewtwo's only fastest move was grab and that was 7-8 frames LOL what a trash character, don't be dumb" to which I replied that he had several moves faster than that; his Ftilt, Dtilt, Fair, Nair....2 other simpletons replied to me that no one likes a "frame *****" and that people who talk about frame data suck at the game. A few people liked those comments. Sooooo some 13 year old attacks me and gives wrong frame info and I simply correct him...now I am the evil one. My local scene is filled with basic white trash though....so I guess I should have expected it.

Anyways it's funny how small-minded people still are about this game and how willing they are to pounce on anyone that mentions rare characters. Especially after what Yoshi did with AmSa, I think you'd have to be really unintelligent or naive to not at least consider possible untapped potential in rare characters that actually have a lot of wholly unique or high tier traits.
Can you tell me where I do this?

I usually talk to low tier mains on a regular basis and try to make sure that I understand low-tier dynamics.

Top Bottom