• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledgesnap Drill

seoh

Smash Cadet
I was looking for a way to practice catching the 2 frame ledge immunity, so I made a simple drill to practice it repeatedly. Wasn't sure if anyone else was like me and actively look for ways to practice simple scenarios and do not always have time to practice vs real players.

Disclaimer: I'm awful at this and a relatively new player. I admit, I am only just beginning to learn the monstrosity that is Fox, and this game in general! There might be a way better/easier way to test this, but this is what I came up with. If you find out, or know a better way, please feel free to let me and everyone else know! Please post any insights you have to this.

Drill

1. Pick a character to practice it on, level 3. The level it is probably matters changing their DI/jump timing, but I don't actually know. I chose Fox to start because the computer always uses Fire Fox, allowing you a little more time to focus when first starting. Secondly, the computer always sweet spots the ledge (with this drill) making it a consistent practice. (As a side note, I believe you might be able to practice something like this, but I believe it relies on a stage spike, and since the computer sweet spots, this might be irrelevant. Please let me know if anyone else finds a good method to drill this!)

2. Pick a stage. I did T&C because I wanted to train this tech on a relevant stage, and the ledge is fairly common/normal.

3. Simply put the percent at something like 30-50, depending on the character and get them near the ledge.

4. Down smash from the left side of the cpu, roll to the ledge and then press start and reset their percent. Then attempt to Utilt the ledge snap. The menu stops the computer from doing anything, forcing them to jump and then start recovery and makes the drill quickly repeatable. (The cpu usually jumps up to a nice spacing, allowing you to quickly repeat the drill.

The process looks something like this example with Sonic.

Options:

a. Do NOT roll, and with the same method, use Dtilt. Equally important for Fox as the spacing is more safe, and allows for different kinds of things, including tipper dtilt into uair at appropriate kill percents.

b. Change when you reset the percent. If you were to do it after they recover, you can easily drill catching the jump to ledge snap, which I find much easier to catch than recoveries.

c. Change the percent. Will likely change the angle, thus the timing required. Some will make things easier, like if Fox is so far that he enters the "fall" before he snaps the ledge. Also, another variant of this drill is availible: using lower percents and menu "stalling" in combination can make this an easy drill for catching the jump into ledge snap. And the spacing allows for you to use back throw/forward throw to do this in an easy way.

d. Change the stage. Practice on every ledge could prove helpful for mastery

e. Change the character. Try it on various recoveries, some seem easier than others. Some the drill will be largely useless if the move does damage above the stage.

You can do a lot of things to mix it up, for instance I use side smash to knock them off because it makes the recover shorter, requiring being prepared faster. Try and experiment for yourself.

Applications:

Some applications of how useful this is shown here from VoiD (though this much easier to do against Fox Illusion as we probably all know from our matches, and particularly strong with Sheik). A small aside, you will often see Larry Lurr not use Illusion, and just opt to get stage spiked by using Fire Fox, and then tech to avoid being repeatedly punished for Illusion. At any rate, you can see frequent attempts and uses of this style of ledge guarding against jumps into ledge snaps, wall jumps above the ledge, and recovery to ledge snaps, as Fox's Utilt covers all of these nicely. Both the Utilt and Dtilt spacings are obviously good for ledge re-snaps, where immunity is not given, therefore leading to easy combos into aerials like Uair and Bair, or Fair footstools.

See some of these things in these sets, both my inspiration for this little post:

VoiD (Sheik) vs Larry Lurr (Fox) eSports Day Winners SF - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2UJO8pOKQ0
Xzax (Fox) vs Larry Lurr (Fox) 2GGT: EE Saga - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWeWzZp_OZA#t=5m00s

Last edited:
Top Bottom