• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledgedash utilt

Ersijo

Smash Cadet
So I've heard that ledgedash utilt is one of Falco's best options from ledge but to me it seems close to mechanically impossible to do. I know that westballz isn't just a regular mortal like me, but he's super consistent with it and I wan't to be so too.

Dear smashboards, what can I do to perform, and be consistent with, the ledgedash utilt?

LeadRod

Smash Apprentice
NNID
420B-LAZE-IT!!
Just like most techniques if you break it down and find where you are weak then that will almost always help you figure it out. Try to do it a couple of times and identify what specifically you are messing up: is it the ledgedash? is it the uptilt? Once you have identified it, practice that small part on it's own a bunch then go back and try the whole thing together again. Hope it helps!

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
So I've heard that ledgedash utilt is one of Falco's best options from ledge but to me it seems close to mechanically impossible to do. I know that westballz isn't just a regular mortal like me, but he's super consistent with it and I wan't to be so too.

Dear smashboards, what can I do to perform, and be consistent with, the ledgedash utilt?
Westballz is a mortal though, there are actually many falcos that can do this.

The first thing you need is a ledgedash that retains as much of your invincibility as possible, as the point of it is to do the uptilt while invincible. Then its just like doing a wavedash turnaround uptilt. If you can do both of these things, then practice doing them together and u can do it.

That sounds easier than it is, because practicing it for hours is hard, but that's the only way to be able to do it consistently.

Also, it is not the objective best thing falco can do from the ledge, just the hardest. Ledgedash shine is preferable in many situations as it is unccable. The main goal of ledgedashing is just to get off the ledge though, so counter attacking is always secondary to that main goal.

Oosa

Smash Rookie

Its not as hard as its swagy cousin: the drop, shine turnaround, jump, waveland, up tilt

Oosa

Smash Rookie
I'm not too familiar with invincibility mechanics, but would that operate the same as a ledgedash?
Yes it does. But you end up on-stage facing away, allowing for further range of your up tilt (since its just slighly disjointed)
Similar to how you can drop, turnaround shine, jump, back air : in order to create an invincible hit box wall when you rise up to the stage

Doing an invincible ledge dash up tilt means your opponent will be right on top of you or behind you when you get on stage.
Doing the turn around shine means you could hit an opponent who would be too far in on stage to hit them with the conventional ledgedash-utilt but doing the turn around shine means you're wasting invicibility frames, therefore you have to do the inputs hella fast to retain the invincibility all the way thru.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I'm not too familiar with invincibility mechanics, but would that operate the same as a ledgedash?
It's basically strictly inferior version of the same thing: you just spend 6(+) frames to turn in shine instead of 1(+) frame to turn after the wl on stage. (+ means there maybe added frames due to imperfect execution)

Oosa

Smash Rookie
It's basically strictly inferior version of the same thing: you just spend 6(+) frames to turn in shine instead of 1(+) frame to turn after the wl on stage. (+ means there maybe added frames due to imperfect execution)
but wavelanding backwards on stage is so kool =(

Dr3amSm4sher

Smash Cadet
You just have to trust in your ledgedash. If you doubt your ledge dash than you can't abuse the fact that you can hold straight up during a wavedash/ledgedash and not jump. I had the same issue as you but then i just assume that i made it on stage ledgedashing and Im already putting my utilt in. If you try to visually react to you actually landing on stage you will normally be late with it and have to be very precise with your stick work not to jump doing the utilt.

Audos

Smash Apprentice
To ledge dash break it down into multiple steps. Start by making sure you can let go of ledge and DJ towards stage on frame 1 of leaving ledge. Most of the time you airdodge offstage and die it is because you were trying to be optimal but pressed jump too late. You have to make sure you have the jump timing down first. Then, once you are good at that add the stick angle to ledgedash and the airdodge input. Ultimately you want to be good enough at each ledgedash step to feel in your hands what part you did wrong when you put it all together. If you manage to master perfect ledgedashing (hard btw) then you can casually add the turnaround uptilt.

On a side note the ledgedash has another key factor that is overlooked or underrated in it's difficulty, which is timing when to start it. You have to be ready to grab the ledge or you might jump the gun, and then tournament winner because you hit away from ledge before it was possible. It's kind of like acting OOS with hard tech, sure the tech is hard but so is timing when to start it. So if you find that you are landing the regular ledgedashes but missing them in real games, it means you should probably practice them alone after real recovery options; jump offstage and sweetspot up b from different angles, mangle into sweetspot, side-b, even shortening. It really helps to practice recovery options and ledgedashes together.

Top Bottom