• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge Trumping

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I've seen some characters like Shiek using ledge trumping very effectively to score early KOs. With Mega Man, I've had some cases where a trump pops the opponent right into a bAir, and others where it doesn't. How does this work, and how can we make better use of it?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Think it's a function of the char that you are trumping. Some chars you can insta-bair, some you can't. Probably a weight/fallspeed thing but I haven't looked too far into it.

Another option.. Trump then ledge pull-up, space a dsmash and hit their regrab with it. Also works with dtilt. Dair too, but the timing is harder/less adaptable.

Kronos2560

Smash Apprentice
Megaman has the strongest trump kill in the game, and it works on the whole cast when you get fast enough.

Kronos2560

Smash Apprentice
Need more info.
Ledge trump, bair. You can do it in three ways that can catch people off guard.

Run off and insta-snap, Jump and fastfall on the ledge, or fake an edgeguard and rush coil.

After you get off, you instantly drop down, double jump and bair. Free kills.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I looked into this very quickly and generically in training mode. I might be wrong, but it seems the pop off from the ledge actually is generally based off of how high the character can jump if you let go of the ledge and immediately jump again. From a balance perspective, this actually makes sense to ensure that trumping a ledge doesn't just cause a character to fall the height of their second jump and essentially be forced to up B.

Essentially, it seems that the best you can do to guarantee more trumps into bairs is to just learn how far characters will pop from the ledge, and in what direction. Higher second jump characters will go up further, while lower second jump characters will fall off a bit more parallel to the stage. Vs another MegaMan for instance, you'll probably want to jump off the ledge, or detach and burn your second jump to get a little closer to "guaranteed", but I don't think you can consider it guaranteed ever.

On stages with solid walls (so basically just Omega forms of particular stages), you can trump into a SCAR jump and go for Flame Sword. Because of the really wide arc it covers, it's a guaranteed hit, and the wall jump height means you won't have to kill your double jump just for some mostly ineffectual damage. This makes me wonder if Sheik doing it consistently is confirmation bias or a function of Sheik's bair coming out with stronger frames faster than Slash Claw.

Top Bottom