• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge trump options.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Unless this is more attribution to online, I'm almost never able to hit the Bair after a ledge trump. It doesn't feel like a combo by any means, but more that they just barely missed the airdodge or didn't jump at the right time. Of course, I may just not be getting out of the ledge snap animation quickly enough, but I feel if this was a true combo, it would make a major difference in our matchups, including against Sheik, who has the most obvious ledge snap in the game when you see Vanish coming.

Assuming your opponent knows a Bair is coming, they'll probably try to jump over you and onto the stage or perhaps stall their way back up and try to hit the ledge again without getting punished. In either scenario, what do you generally do to take on your opponent and punish their attempts?

Locke17

Smash Rookie
I was actually wondering if Ike's counter is a viable option after a ledge trump, of course it would have to be a pretty hard read?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
The quicker you grab the edge after your opponent, the easier it is to combo with anything. If you grab the edge after their invincibility ended and trump them, you won't really be able to combo with anything.

I usually do a ledge release->bair back on stage, then punish the regrab if I missed the bair. You don't have to hit the bair but you can throw it out and autocancel back on the stage. Ledge release into jump+nair onstage also works. You can also just aether if they're being predictable and you don't think bair will hit.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I can say it is a little harder to get online, as the lag can sometimes just throw us off, than offline. I have missed far less offline than online personally, and find that my biggest issue now is being surprised when the opportunity happens and not acting fast enough to capitalize on it.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
With the buff maybe you could try an U-Air after a trump?

It's already good with catching airdodges, so that's something.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
It doesn't give you too much as you're forced to recover back to the ledge so you're going back to neutral because of it. B-Air is the best option unless you hard read a spike or go back to the stage and force them to re-grab or recover high.

MasterExocuter

Smash Cadet
Can up-air work as a ledge trump option? I know if you ledge trump someone, they're probably going to try to get above you or something. I use up-air to ledge stall a little bit, but I'm wondering if it could be an effective mixup from ledge trump

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
You'd have to hard read their option after the trump to get an up air. Back Air is the most guaranteed aerial to get after a trump if you're fast enough on the draw. Otherwise your options are an air dodge read, or read their buffered get-up option. Which is either going to be a roll or jump. Most of the time I see a roll used as jump doesn't have a lot of invincibility once the jump is started.

Top Bottom