• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge-Smashing and Olimar Grappling.

Toesrus

Smash Cadet
Ledge-Smashing

It is just something strange I found today.

I was near an edge, playing as olimar(as usual). My friend was pokemon trainer.
I was 124%(i think) and he was 169%. He ran at me with squirtle and I was trying to stall time to get more pikmin, I only had one white pikmin. Right before he hit me I jumped over him and threw my white pikmin at him, kinda useless since the dash attack killed it. He ran after me again, so I plucked one red pikmin and dashed towards the edge. Instinct kicked in and I f-smashed him. Strange thing. I f-smashed while dashing. I slid off the edge while the pikmin hit him, I grabbed the ledge and he died.

Im calling it Ledge-Smashing just so people can get the idea of what it does. I'm pretty sure this has to do with the technique Stutter Step that has been found. No flaming.

Olimar Grappling

I also found this today.

Like Ledge-Smashing, Olimar Grappling has something to do with dashing.
I dont have a story with this one since I dont really think you care.

I landed on the ground, dashed in the opposite direction, apparently I turned around while shield-grabbing. The purple pikmin I used grabbed my opponnent. Olimar kept going and stopped at about twice the distance of normal grab range. Olimar just stood there while the purple pikmin "slowly" brought him closer to me. I was too surprised to throw him so he escaped. I'm pretty sure I couldn't have comboed anything into it anyways.

Once again I AM NOT NAMING THIS.
I ONLY CALLED IT OLIMAR GRAPPLING TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF ITS EFFECTS.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
So, just for clarification, you dashed, turned, and shield-grabbed your opponent? But Olimar was still running after the grab?

Pink4Life

Smash Cadet
Can you post a video? I think this is something important, being able to f-smash while runnnig can be used as a good edge guard, and with the grab.

Is it a turn around but instead of using Z you used the shield grab? Just some clarification, but good thread, im surious about where this leads :D

Toesrus

Smash Cadet
So, just for clarification, you dashed, turned, and shield-grabbed your opponent? But Olimar was still running after the grab?

No. I dashed away from my opponent, right after the dash I tapped the opposite direction and shield-grabbed. It is like I did it all almost at once. Olimar slid a distance, he did not run.

Toesrus

Smash Cadet
Can you post a video? I think this is something important, being able to f-smash while runnnig can be used as a good edge guard, and with the grab.

Is it a turn around but instead of using Z you used the shield grab? Just some clarification, but good thread, im surious about where this leads :D
Its like a dash-turn around-shield grab done almost at once. I guess the shield cancels the dash so olimar can do a turn-around instantly. But he slid further. It looked really cool.

BTW I can't make videos, I don't have the right tools to do so. :(
I could possibly get someone else to try it.

hikikimori

Smash Rookie
I've noticed something like this.

If you dash forward, the quickly attempt a reverse grab, or whatever that mess is called, olimar does this mini dash backwards when he sends the pikmin out to grab.

i was thinking this could be used to psych out the opponent, dashing forward to make him think you'll be vulnerable, then to this grab backwards to retreat a few steps before counterattacking.

Top Bottom