• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge Hop Up-Air

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
So as we all know, Ganon's Ledge Hop (dropping off the ledge and instantly double jumping, often times invincible) is really short and lands almost perfectly on the stage. That's why you can do grounded Down-b's from the ledge, it's why edgedashing with Ganon is easy, and it also makes ledge stalling very simple. However, I find it really difficult to do a Ledge Hop Up-Air and REGRAB the LEDGE. It can be done, I just can't work out a consistent method. Maybe I just have to get the speed and timing down, but it is possible to drop off, double jump, instantly Up-Air, and grab the ledge again. Of course, you can just do the up air then up b again, but that means your up air has to be well timed as you can't spam it, so if you miss you're in a bad spot. Being able to do this is really really useful for edge gaurding, as it allows you to do an invincible up air, which has a million hitboxes and covers a ton of low options. This technique stops tethers, diagonal recoveries, and when timed well horizontal recoveries. The up air even goes on stage a bit, covering even more ground. What I want to know is how to do this more consistently, if there is a way. The fastest way I can work out is to tilt the stick down for the non-fastfall drop off then instantly hit x, then smash up, then hit a. Smashing down then smashing up, when done fast enough, works occasionally, and I've tried tilting down, then tilting up and hitting z. Claw works as well, but I don't play claw. Any suggestions would be awesome, and like I said, it may just be a matter of timing and practice. If thats the case, then we can just discuss this techniques applications :)

KKZed

Smash Rookie
Well there's no trick, I can tell you that. I usually have tap jump off so I hit back, roll the stick up and basically hit A and X at the same time. If you have tap jump enabled you could do the same motion without having to hit X.

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
Oh ok you hit back? I've always just tilted down then smashed up, press x and a. And yeah, I thought there wasn't much trick and that it was mostly just practice. Thanks!

cod3kill

Smash Cadet
Hmm, I actually didn't know Ganon could do this, I knew some other characters could do aerials and regrab though. I usually just hit down then immediately jump and then use the direction I need to plus A to do any ledge hop aerial to regrabs, I don't like tap jump and that is pretty much the fastest way I can do it without

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
So after practicing and trying out a bunch of stuff, @ K KKZed method works best by far. All you have to do is press back, roll the joystick up, hit a and x simultaneously, then move the joystick left so you can regrab the ledge. SOOO useful. Now we can talk about applications :D

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i think you summed up a lot of the applications, already : p having an invincible arc of hitbox around you and being able to regrab the ledge afterwards is sort of awesome, even if you can only have that for 5 regrabs : p

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
i think you summed up a lot of the applications, already : p having an invincible arc of hitbox around you and being able to regrab the ledge afterwards is sort of awesome, even if you can only have that for 5 regrabs : p
Yeah, and 5 regrabs is normally plenty time for them to recover.

KKZed

Smash Rookie
Just some general knowledge, hitting down from a ledge will make you fastfall, hit back to let go without fastfalling.

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
EZ PZ way to get non-fastfalled ledgedrops --> aerials, waveland, whatever is to drop from the ledge with the C-Stick. Used to do this when I mained Ganon in Melee and I still do it this way in PM. Makes up air onto stage stupid easy and very consistent. I use C-Stick away but C-stick down also works.

So for up air from ledge I would do: C-stick away --> control stick up and in --> C-stick up --> L-Cancel. You can also easily do forward air onto stage with this as well (at least in PM, in Melee it's either impossible or really hard). If you want to regrab the ledge after up air, don't control stick up and in, just go up.

Ganon's midair jump is higher in PM though, so you might get more actionable invincibility frames more easily for ledgedash stuff with just fastfall --> double jump --> ledgedash.

Last edited:

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
I know that to waveland it works better to fastfall, but I never thought to try non fastfalls with the c-stick. Thanks! That helps a lot, and with other characters besides ganon too.

Top Bottom