• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge Hop Sing Stall

FlipNRed

Smash Apprentice
I ran a few searches in the melee forum and jiggly forums, but no cigar so I thought I'd bring it up. When Jigglypuff lands a ledge hopped sing, the opponent sleeps and the lag from the move is canceled by the ledge. Normally, one can land an easy rest sending the opponent flying in the direction of the aforementioned ledge, but however, one can continue to ledge hop sing to continuously and indefinitely reset the sleep effect regardless of the opponent's %, rendering the move inescapeable. Is this legal? And is this legitimate?

Landing one can be arguably difficult and situational, and in fact it is entirely punishable by definition of it being a ledge hopped move. It is also not entirely a stall by itself, considering that it is also a set up for a deadly rest, or pound + aerials, or in teams for a teammate's move of choice. How is this in comparison to wobbling?

Just recently I saw a tournament match between a Falco and a Jigglypuff where the Falco for eight minutes laser camped, and b.air spammed, and then stalled until the timer ran out for the reason that he did not fare well in the match up and he went on to place 7th, conquering some pros along the way. He very easily could have ended his run prematurely at this point had he not reverted to this tactic, in addition to being incredibly lucky during his opponent's counterpick. Would it be any worse if the Jiggly chose to camp at the ledge in such a manner to avoid the lasers and b.airs? And if he landed a sing, to stall? Even for thirty seconds? Is it because the Falco requires more skill and work or it's counterable? Any opinions on anything I've brought up would be greatly appreciated.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I believe this has been discussed before..its stalling but most places wouldn't directly ban that method.

Its hard to catch an enemy in the spot like that..and knowing one screw up lets him free, its not all that great.

pdk

Smash Lord
steps to countering it:

1) jump when approaching ledgehopping puff
2) aerial

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
Its hard to catch an enemy in the spot like that..and knowing one screw up lets him free, its not all that great.
I've devised a plan on catching a Captain Falcon or a Ganon.

Normally their Up-B's don't damage or hurt if you're on the ledge. So they'd land over the ledge above you with a little delay time. If you could get them to be knocked out and then do this ledgeguard -> sing, then you basically got yourself a stall!

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
True. If you jump off too early, the Falcon or the Ganon could sweet spot the ledge and you'd be singing your good bye song down the stage.

FlipNRed

Smash Apprentice
Thank you all for your responses, but I've already stated that it is counterable and landing it is entirely situational. As with ANY infinite or stall, one screw up is usually enough to let them free. However, once landed, arguably it is not technically difficult to perform and repeat whatsoever.

Skillfully putting them in that situation also involves mindgames but is possible, usually involving edge hogging recoveries and forcing them onto the stage. Laggy recoveries I can think of include Falcon's, Ganon's, Illusions, Phantasms, Shiek's, Marth's shield guarded or not, any Up B that has lag and puts them above the ledge close to the edge when the edge is being hogged.

Top Bottom