• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge hop double laser and Shine OoS

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
^^The only things I have a bit of trouble with.

I can basically do everything else. I use X to do everything except for shine b-air and shine d-air (only for off stage), which I use the control stick for, and I use the right side of my index finger to doubleshine.

LHDL I can't ever get them close to the same height, and Shine OoS I always end up higher than I want to be (preferably not leaving the ground)

After I got better, I realized that I wanted to shine d-air people from the second platform to the third a lot, but I miss it quite a bit because I'm not fast enough. I also realized that when the opportunity to do that happens, I end up pressing X and then trying to lift my thumb and then press A instead of sliding it over like I should.

Just tested in training mode, and I can shine d-air a pikachu up to about 115% with X + A, and higher if I use analog, but I can't use analog when doing it on stage because I can't react fast enough to the situation when it happens.

Advice?

Thanks

EDIT: I also can't seem to shine on a platform without falling through it unless I'm pressing down before I land on the platform... do I just need to tilt the analog instead of press it all the way

ChefOfDeath

Smash Rookie
I feel your pain. The only thing to do really is to just practice a lot until your fingers get used to it. Try to stay relaxed when doing fancy stuff, I just recently noticed (God knows how long it's been happening) that when I need to do several precisely-timed inputs in a short span, my hands tend to tense up and I would choke a lot. Focusing on remaining relaxed and loose is helping my tech skill a great deal. It's kind of like boxing, you need to remain loose when throwing a jab in order to get that speed.
For shine OoS/multishine/LHDL specifically, I found that they all share a similar motion, and once you get the feel for it then all three of these become much more do-able. For me, I kinda hook my thumb above the Y button and apply a very mild torque from the top of it. When I press it down then, my thumb kinda slips off and shoots down to the B button. You need to keep your finger low, and be careful not to nick the A button on your way down. You'll need to play around with the timing to get a feel for how to apply it. For the lasers, wait until Falco's head has dropped a little below the ledge before doing the thumb flick.

Best of luck!

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
I feel your pain. The only thing to do really is to just practice a lot until your fingers get used to it. Try to stay relaxed when doing fancy stuff, I just recently noticed (God knows how long it's been happening) that when I need to do several precisely-timed inputs in a short span, my hands tend to tense up and I would choke a lot. Focusing on remaining relaxed and loose is helping my tech skill a great deal. It's kind of like boxing, you need to remain loose when throwing a jab in order to get that speed.
For shine OoS/multishine/LHDL specifically, I found that they all share a similar motion, and once you get the feel for it then all three of these become much more do-able. For me, I kinda hook my thumb above the Y button and apply a very mild torque from the top of it. When I press it down then, my thumb kinda slips off and shoots down to the B button. You need to keep your finger low, and be careful not to nick the A button on your way down. You'll need to play around with the timing to get a feel for how to apply it. For the lasers, wait until Falco's head has dropped a little below the ledge before doing the thumb flick.

Best of luck!
Yeah see the problem is that I use X, and a lot of these things are nearly impossible to do as a result. LHDL is ridiculously hard to get low by using X, I can't shine OoS that fast with X, I can't multishine with X which is why I do it with Y by hooking my index finger over it, and I can't SHDL with Fox cause I use X.

I wonder if playing space animals will just force me to switch to Y

Beat!

Smash Master
You don't have to. PP uses X iirc.

I used to think like you do about LHDL, but it's actually possible with X (I use X). You just need to practice a lot. One thing you could try is sliding the middle of the thumb from X to B.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
or you can just use y. back when i used x for everything i used y for LHDL. i still did shine oos with x though and was perfectly good at it. hard with fox, not so much with falco.

there's nothing wrong with using different buttons for different tasks if that's what works for you

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Of course not. I'm just saying he doesn't have to if it feels awkward or whatever.
It obviously feels really awkward, seeing as how I've used X ever since 2002 when I c-stick spammed with Roy.

But I think I might be at the point where I might have to deliberately switch buttons for stuff. Lol, Dogysamich

"I mean, I understand that shiz has like, 4 extra jump buttons. Uses X to like, wavedash, y for shines, up on the control stick to file his taxes, r + c-stick up to massage his back, but seriously."

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You just need to learn the muscle memory to use Y for certain things and X for others. I personally use Y for everything but yeah.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
For Shine dairs and stuff like that where your not shorthopping out of shine I recommend just using up to jump out of shine. It makes linking things WAY easier (as you can c-stick every aerial except nair).

There are just so many ways to do LHDL. I think the easiest method (and consistent) is to just learn it with Y. But you can also just get better with X, or use down - up (easiest method to get them EXACTLY horizontal, hardest to not firefox with).

Van.

Smash Ace
I can't believe people do LHDL without clawing.

I claw, and i can always get it off before my invincibility fades.

Pandu!

Smash Cadet
Durr.... I don't use any jump button to LHDL.
I do, starting from hanging on the ledge:
-Down on control stick
-Up+forward on control stick
-B,B.
I don't see why more people don't just do this? It's super easy.

EDIT: I also don't use any jump button for shine outta' shield. This is super easy as well:
-Shield.
-up on the c-stick.
-down-B.
With practice you won't even leave the ground, so you can waveshine out of your shield.

Rush

Smash Apprentice
^^The only things I have a bit of trouble with.

I can basically do everything else. I use X to do everything except for shine b-air and shine d-air (only for off stage), which I use the control stick for, and I use the right side of my index finger to doubleshine.

LHDL I can't ever get them close to the same height, and Shine OoS I always end up higher than I want to be (preferably not leaving the ground)

After I got better, I realized that I wanted to shine d-air people from the second platform to the third a lot, but I miss it quite a bit because I'm not fast enough. I also realized that when the opportunity to do that happens, I end up pressing X and then trying to lift my thumb and then press A instead of sliding it over like I should.

Just tested in training mode, and I can shine d-air a pikachu up to about 115% with X + A, and higher if I use analog, but I can't use analog when doing it on stage because I can't react fast enough to the situation when it happens.

Advice?

Thanks

EDIT: I also can't seem to shine on a platform without falling through it unless I'm pressing down before I land on the platform... do I just need to tilt the analog instead of press it all the way
Arthur just get good with X haha. But if it's too difficult I suggest using Y. It can feel weird at first but it wasn't too bad for me. I do it the same way I SHDL with Fox, so I generally don't need to worry about getting them even and concentrate on falling low enough to get low lasers.

mesa23

Smash Journeyman
i'm no pro but i don't really have trouble doing this stuff as falco with x.

cept for the lhdl i guess, still working on that.

i can multishine and shine oos pretty decently with x

fox on the other hand, i have to use y for multishining and can't really shine oos on the floor.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Arthur just get good with X haha. But if it's too difficult I suggest using Y. It can feel weird at first but it wasn't too bad for me. I do it the same way I SHDL with Fox, so I generally don't need to worry about getting them even and concentrate on falling low enough to get low lasers.
Sounds like you're getting legit

We should play at university or at someone's house

So I fixed my falling through platform shine thing just by not pressing down all the way.

I'll try using analog for LHDL.

Still have no clue how to speed up shine OoS. R+C-stick up+slide thumb to B?

Rush

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like you're getting legit

We should play at university or at someone's house

So I fixed my falling through platform shine thing just by not pressing down all the way.

I'll try using analog for LHDL.

Still have no clue how to speed up shine OoS. R+C-stick up+slide thumb to B?
Haha no I'm not really that good at all, but yes we should get some smash in. Since no one is hosting how about the university? I've PM'd you so check your inbox.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Ok so using analog for LHDL makes them slightly lower, but I firefox a lot.

I realized after experimenting that I don't need to stay on the ground for shine OoS; I can just airdodge to the floor as fast as I can right after I shine in the air, or I can just jump out of it if I need to

Top Bottom