• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge-Grabbing Header Techs

Charity Diary

Smash Rookie
I've recently been trying out some techniques involving Wii Fit Trainer dangling from the ledge. I use them sometimes when recovering, and sometimes I'll purposely jump off and do a ledge grab just to use them. I find that, while they don't succeed every time, sometimes they do, and if they don't, I at least end up confusing my opponent a bit :D

Note: Don't attempt this if your opponent likes to camp directly on the edge (or chase you) while waiting for you to recover. Fortunately, a lot of people I play against like to scoot back a little, and this works great against them.

How to do the ledge header techs:

1) While in a ledge-grab, press Down to start falling, and immediately Jump and move toward the stage. Press into the stage a bit, and with Wii Fit Trainer's knees at about stage-level, hit Side B and immediately Air Dodge.

If you did it right, the soccer ball will bounce on the edge of the stage, and you'll be hanging from the ledge again. At this point, you have five viable options:

2)
a)
Press Attack as soon as you start hanging from the ledge again. The soccer ball will be launched forward and up at an angle a bit more acute than 45 degrees.

b) Immediately drop from the ledge, jump, and do a Forward Air. The soccer ball will be launched forward in a small rainbow-ish arc.

c) Immediately drop from the ledge, jump, and do Side B again. Depending on your timing of your second B press, you can launch the ball at a downward 45 degree angle that will bounce off the ground, or straight ahead.

d) Immediately drop from the ledge, jump, and use Up B. This will launch the ball forward in a small arc.

e) Immediately drop from the ledge, jump, and use Up Air. This will launch the ball with a mostly upward trajectory.

z) You can also drop down, jump, then do a Neutral Air, but this launches the ball up and backwards... and I'm not really sure when that would be useful :p

All of the above options involve attacking and hitting the soccer ball. Some of the players I fight will rush the ledge when they see me whiff the initial Side B, and I'll hit them with the attack and the soccer ball. So I guess I find it occasionally useful for racking up additional damage, or at least psyching the opponent out every once in a while.

(Bonus Note: you can also try these by using Header while jumping around close to the ledge, then immediately falling off, grabbing the ledge, and doing any one of a-e, but you'd have to practice the timing a lot to nail it consistently. The timing's a lot easier using the ledge grab animations as a crutch, because the ball's bouncing will always be perfect.)

Last edited:

Moderate skill

Smash Apprentice
On battlefield, you can use header a bit farther below the ledge (and while touching the stage with your body) to put the ball directly on to the stage with less effort. But then you can only use ledge attack (or a lucky fair) on it. You can put it on BF's platforms and then hit it with upsmash, but that's really working for 7% of damage.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
If the Header ball was ever an issue when attempting to spike them with the headbutt, canceling it into the ledge allows you ro spike them pretty easily.

Top Bottom