• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge cancelled grapplebeam/zair?

GoomySmash

Smash Apprentice
So I've been playing around with ledge-cancelled zair as gimping/edgeguarding option. It seems to always catch people off guard and it's actually an ok-ish option in some situations.

I actually got a string where I did ledge cancelled zair -> dropzone charge shot against a falco and it was the most satisfying thing I've ever done in melee. I recovered on battlefield too.

But in general, I find that a lot of foxes and falcos, after playing enough samus will tend to upB/sideB in a position where ledge cancelled zair can sometimes hit.

I've also been occasionally throwing it out in neutral, and while it's a bad option in theory, it's so unconventional that they never see it coming.

There's also a little trick I found on Yoshis where if you run -> short hop -> immediately press z to zair, you can edge cancel on the side platforms. I think this trick might be a little more useful since it comes out faster and you get better movement. It doesn't work on Pokemon stadium (I guess the PS platforms are just a teeny tiny bit higher than the yoshis ones?).

So has anyone else experimented with this? If not for a legit option at least to be swaggy and stylish?

StatusC

Smash Rookie
I've never though about ledge-cancelling it. Sounds like it could be useful in certain situations to catch people off-guard as you stated previously.

Smash Journeyman
wow that sounds pretty interesting! I've been thinking about using rising facing-away rising grapple as a weird cheesy edgeguard vs spacies, but this sounds way less risky (unless you miss your edge-cancel lol)

Corigames

Smash Hero
Do you have videos?

I really like doing grapple cancels on recovery to give more options while rising to the stage than UpB, but I'm not sure about using it to edgeguard/gimp. I'm not really imagining that working out well in a real match.

As far as edge canceling Zair, I have done that too, but not on platforms. While researching ways to get back on stage from the ledge I was looking into doing a DJ from the ledge, air dodging in place, Zairing, and then fading back to the ledge for an edge cancel into whatever. However, as with a lot Zair tech, it's very risky. Making one small mistake means flying off stage and dying. Also, since Zair doesn't have much knockback in Melee, I think you will be giving them significant frame advantage on you, and just not as significant if you edge cancel it.

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
I love how Samus has little bits like this. In theory all of these techs are really bad, but I've found that sometimes even top tier players get thrown off by the dumbest things.

Litt

Samus
So I've been playing around with ledge-cancelled zair as gimping/edgeguarding option. It seems to always catch people off guard and it's actually an ok-ish option in some situations.

I actually got a string where I did ledge cancelled zair -> dropzone charge shot against a falco and it was the most satisfying thing I've ever done in melee. I recovered on battlefield too.

But in general, I find that a lot of foxes and falcos, after playing enough samus will tend to upB/sideB in a position where ledge cancelled zair can sometimes hit.

I've also been occasionally throwing it out in neutral, and while it's a bad option in theory, it's so unconventional that they never see it coming.

There's also a little trick I found on Yoshis where if you run -> short hop -> immediately press z to zair, you can edge cancel on the side platforms. I think this trick might be a little more useful since it comes out faster and you get better movement. It doesn't work on Pokemon stadium (I guess the PS platforms are just a teeny tiny bit higher than the yoshis ones?).

So has anyone else experimented with this? If not for a legit option at least to be swaggy and stylish?
Short hop air dodge backwards into zair to hit peaches out of their float on FD, limited used but certiianly makes peach become the aggressor

Reminds me of one time on Dreamland I layed some bombs off the edge, then grapple-walljumped into a bair which stagespiked a Fox back into the bombs, which then dropped him far enough that he couldn't recovery. Definitely won't be pulling that off again any time soon, ha, but that got me thinking: so airdodge-grapple will trigger the bomb explosion but normal airdodging wont, right? I wonder if you could lay a bomb then 'zair-dodge' into the bomb to bounce into a bair or nair, still giving you your jump. I think it could work.

Top Bottom