• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Leaving a match online penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Leaving a match in Glory mode results in a 10 minute ban from playing online again. That's just silly.

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
I actually like that rule since a lot of online fighting games have constantly people disconnecting when they're losing, besides it's only a 2 stock 5 minute so it's not like they last ages to complete

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
I actually like that rule since a lot of online fighting games have constantly people disconnecting when they're losing, besides it's only a 2 stock 5 minute so it's not like they last ages to complete
Sure, it discourages disconnects. The problem is that getting a stable connection is almost impossible with what Smash has set up. You can't pick a region to look for opponents like most other online fighters.

Last edited:

Marxally

Smash Apprentice
I think that's nice. **** leavers. (unless ur connection is bad >:c)

Last edited:

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
Sure, it discourages disconnects. The problem is that getting a stable connection is almost impossible with what Smash has set up. You can't pick a region to look for opponents like most other online fighters.
I've found that region has little to do with it as long as both ends have a good connection. I've been playing with japan, america and europe and been able to establish a lagless connection between all.. If it doesn't work maybe turn down other devices that use the same router/connection for a brief moment to test if it'll help

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
I've found that region has little to do with it as long as both ends have a good connection. I've been playing with japan, america and europe and been able to establish a lagless connection between all.. If it doesn't work maybe turn down other devices that use the same router/connection for a brief moment to test if it'll help
I understand what you're saying. I ran into some american names and they had really bad connections so far, mine being good. The games were to the point where it was moving at like 10 frames, it was really bad. Instead of sitting there waiting for the match to be over, I left the game so I could start a new one. This is where I don't agree with that 10 minute ban if it's going to be consecutive each time. They should have penalized you in a different way since the scenario above is bound to happen to everyone sooner or later.

Let's just hope it's Day 1 stuff for now i guess who knows

LinkSword93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Umdytr
3DS FC
3668-9197-4509
I welcome the penalty with open arms. Sure, on occasion my connection might just fail and I'll be stuck waiting for 10 minutes afterwards, but that's a low price to pay if we get less imbeciles fleeing the matches.

By the way... when your opponent does that, do you get a victory or is it just a null fight?

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
I welcome the penalty with open arms. Sure, on occasion my connection might just fail and I'll be stuck waiting for 10 minutes afterwards, but that's a low price to pay if we get less imbeciles fleeing the matches.

By the way... when your opponent does that, do you get a victory or is it just a null fight?
The match pauses for a while and then continues with some low lvl cpu taking the leaver's place. So you'll be able to rack up an easy win that does indeed count

LinkSword93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Umdytr
3DS FC
3668-9197-4509
^ That's just great. Looks like Sakurai thought things through!

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Honestly, if you have a bad connection you shouldn't be playing in ranked.

Same thing happens in league of legends with people with bad computers/connections, it just screws the team over.

In this instance, it screws the opponent over. Its not fair to them if they have their **** together to continually play against people that don't.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
This screwed me over once when my friends barged into my room to get something and I accidentally closed my 3DS when they came in. That's the last time I prop my door open.

Toebex

Smash Cadet
Does the quitting penalty stack up like in Halo Reach? As in if you keep quitting, will it go from 10 mins to 20 then 30 etc

D

Deleted member

The match pauses for a while and then continues with some low lvl cpu taking the leaver's place. So you'll be able to rack up an easy win that does indeed count
Pretty sure this happened for me. The last match of our series, my opponent was doing literally nothing, just taking all of the hits. I win easily and find he's gone, so I think he left during match.

DadPalindrome

Smash Cadet
NNID
DadPalindrome
3DS FC
3780-9241-3996
I'm completely fine with it. It discourages rage quitting, and it encourages getting a better internet connection.
Seriously, having a bad connection doesn't make the game fun for you, or your opponent. You might as well not bother.

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
What they need to fix is banning you due to lagging out as soon as you create a room. Like why? Nothing that happens in "With Friends" should warrant a ban besides modding, especially the host himself lagging out of his own game. I get a 10 minute ban for losing connection as soon as I selected create room.

Sambiti

Smash Cadet
It's 10 minutes, just go make a sandwich while you are waiting.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Just like leaving or declining a match in Dota. Bad connections are bad for everyone, and deserve penalty. Though I really wish there was a signal strength indicator in the matches so you could really tell if it was your own or the enemy's.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Something a lot of you are overlooking is that the principle of the matter is that even someone with a good connection is still going to have the occasional hiccup in their connection and that's all it takes to basically screw you over. You should not be punished for something that isn't within your immediate control and implementing such a lazy rule to address people disconnecting intentionally on a regular basis is just poor operational management of the network.

Ice-Rezbit

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1478-6098-4041
You also get the disconnect penalty in for fun/timed matches. So you have to take the penalty if you need to leave immediately.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I sincerely never realized this. Sometimes when I feel like I am whooping someone they start to play differently - like I always just thought they were giving up.

Like I always see CPUs crouch repeatedly (like they are "teabagging"). I see some people start to do that randomly in a match. Now I wonder how many times people have quit on me.

Thunder_Ruler0

Smash Rookie
I think they should make it to if you close your 3ds for more than 10 seconds it disconnects you and then give a penalty. But if you connect back again within that 10 seconds, no penalty and you continue playing. But if you close your console repeatedly than it will give a penalty, or something along the lines of that.

I personally am for and against this penaulty thing, I like that it keeps the noobs out but I dont loike it that if it was a mistake you penalties, some people dont deserve these penaulty and other really do.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Easy trick. Idle for 30 seconds and the game will kick you out with no penalty

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Yeah this is so annoying. Okay, this opponent is giving me 3 second input lag and constant loading thing, and 1fps. I KNOW!!!!! I'LL QUIT SO I DON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH LAG!!!!! DANG IT NOW I HAVE TO WAIT TEN MINUTES

But...... the worst thing is.....

HONEY WE'RE LATE FOR (Something) WE HAVE TO GO NOW!!!!!!!

I need to finish this match mom!!!!!

HONEY THERE'S NO TIME!!!!!

OKAY!!!!! (Shuts game off)

When they come back....

Omg I'm so excited to play it again....... we were there for a few hours, the penelty won't harm..... WHAT?????? IT DIDN't START????!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But serisualy Nintendo, AT LEAST start the timer when it's shut off, the fact that you have to try to play online before the timer start is just infurating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom