• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learning to DI

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice
All right, I'm fairly new at the game, and I know how important DI is. I know how to do it, I know the proper way to do it, I know everything about it.

Except for how to use it.

I don't mean the mechanics of it. I just can't find way to practice using it. To this date, I've done it correctly once.

How did everyone else here learn to use it? Remembering it in the middle of a Brawl just doesn't work for me. Even when I do remember during the brawl, I forget about it the second I'm hit, and instead start thinking "CRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAP."

Barge

All I want is a custom title
It's all about habit. Play a game with someone, it doesn't matter how well you play it, play your worst you've ever played in your life for christs sake. Just try to focus on DI-ing.
Try to remember it when they're sending out a laggy attack (DDD's Fsmash, Ikes Fsmash, etc).
Hell, get hit by one on purpose just to practice it. Once you get the hang of it you'll eventually do it without even thinking.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
What is DI like how do you use it?
Main-Fox if that helps..
It means Directional Influence.

T___L___X___R____MID________________T

For example, the diagram above represents the top of the game screen where you would ring out (and get star-KO'd). The two T's represent the top two corners of the screen and the word "MID" obviously represents the middle of the screen. Now let's say you get hit from say, the middle of Final Destination and you're flying off the top of the screen at a northwest angle. The X represents the place where your character would ring-out off the top of the screen if you don't move the control stick (or DI). Now while you're flying towards that X, if you hold the control stick (DI) to the left, you would fly closer to the L, thereby placing a bit more space between you and the top of the screen by curving your trajectory to the left. If you hold the control stick (DI) to the right, you would fly closer to the R, maknig the path between the stage and the top of the screen shorter and KO-ing you sooner than if you would have either DI'd to the left or left the control stick alone.

That's just one example of DI, there's plenty more uses for it, but this is one of the earliest ways most people notice it's usefulness.

Hope that helped, but if it didn't go search "DI".

Levitas

the moon
TC, when you're playing and you're about to get hit (such as in the lag of one of your moves) you should be thinking one of two things.

1. I don't want to die.

So don't die. DI the move perpendicular to the trajectory you're being sent, unless that would make you die off of a different deathzone (in which case, you'd aim at a bit of a different angle)

2. I don't want to get hit by a followup.

So don't. DI down or away to get as much horizontal distance between you and your opponent.

Top Bottom