• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learning the game

Bardon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bozzhant
I got into competitive smash from Sm4sh, and want to move on now. I watched a bunch of TLOCs IaB videos and have decided that PM is definitely the game I want to play. I've been playing for about 2 weeks and am awful right now, and want to learn the game with someone. My Skype is burundorundo or if you're local and want to meet up, I'm in the West Palm Beach area.

Gnarkill Evan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Astros795
Friendlies, find some one to play with in person. I am nothing special, but every time I play with someone new I feel like I am learning

Victor Marczyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Duskblack
3DS FC
1950-8264-0245
Nothing beats playing friendlies, but if you absolutely have to then just play bots on level 3. You can harness skills that you want to learn through this and if you find someone to play with then use what you learned from that.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Bots are awful practice for human opponents because they don't adapt. So don't.

Instead, grind out tech to start. Wavedashing, Short Hops, L-cancelling, SHFFL'd (which stands for Short Hop FastFalled L-cancelled) aerials for starters. I find being able to control your character to be a step before learning fundamental and mental aspects of the game.

There's no substitute for human opponents, though, so find someone to play with or a scene to join. Otherwise, there's always netplay (although you'll need a GC adapter for that).

Good luck with improving.

Top Bottom