• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learning Sonic, seeking critique.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
I'm just starting to pick up Sonic as his playstyle is easily one of the most fun in the game once you get used to him. What I'm looking for is critiques not so much on my specific usages of moves (I know I dsmash/dair too much, not enough asc and whatnot...at least in these early vids) but moreso about the way my Sonic goes about the match. Too aggressive/defensive? Balanced air/ground game? Etc. Move usage is important too of course and I'll take any intelligent critique I can get, I just mean that I know what moves to use and which to not, it's just a matter of getting used to implementation for the most part.

But anyhow, vids time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSt1GPkp2wo Pasqual (Sonic) vs Oreo (Link)
-Obviously a very lax friendly, but still a decent barometer for my Sonic. Using Link's boomerang against him ftw. Link is not Oreo's main, so johns on his behalf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcgIun38lN0
-Almost two months old, an early attempt at Sonic. Way too much homing attack, I know. Just posting for the ending, really. Gotta love gimps.

NNID
MasterHavik
Well, I'm okay with Sonic but I think your not showing none of his titls any love. Come on utilt and dtilt are cool. And you love the air, but lay off a bit with the dairs and combo more.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
I'll just list points cause I'm lazy like that.

- Your uair outprioritised Link's dair. Nice. Not sure if that was a fluke or not though.
- Stop using fairs so close to the ground. If anything, use nairs.
- Boomerang paunch and nair gimping, good stuff. Again, dunno if you meant to Fsmash using the boomerang to close in.
- Are you trying to spinshot or just use the Spin jump? If the latter then that won't gain you any advantage.
- Link is tall enough so you can approach him with fairs safely 70% of the time.
- This matchup is gimptastic.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm okay with Sonic but I think your not showing none of his titls any love. Come on utilt and dtilt are cool. And you love the air, but lay off a bit with the dairs and combo more.
Yep, good points. You'll see some improvement next time I get to record, especially when I get some other matchups going.

Um its sort of difficult to critique you if the vids you post are old or simple friendlies. Post a new competitive match.
I realize, and I'm working on it. FAST is coming up so I'm going to try and make it to Brawl Singles if I can and get matches recorded. Either way, I'll at least have some more solid friendlies up against people playing their mains and all that jazz.

You suck, stop doing that.
:( I can't help it.

- Your uair outprioritised Link's dair. Nice. Not sure if that was a fluke or not though.
It's happened a few times for me, so I think it requires good precision or just some good luck.

- Boomerang paunch and nair gimping, good stuff. Again, dunno if you meant to Fsmash using the boomerang to close in.
Hahah, actually yeah. I love using the gale against my opponent. Got another video where I use it as Fox to recover and attack the Link with my Firefox charge. SD'd because I let the joystick go too soon and it overflicked, but yeah...

- Are you trying to spinshot or just use the Spin jump? If the latter then that won't gain you any advantage.
Just mixing it up mostly.

- Link is tall enough so you can approach him with fairs safely 70% of the time.
- This matchup is gimptastic.
Yes and yes.

Thanks for the good input so far guys, more videos to come when I can get them up.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
The was a very interesting (and dare I say it) practical use of the up smash spike. I was fairly impressed by that.

On a related note, I would like to see you commit to hyphen smashes earlier so as to not completely miss your opponent :/

Tilting is not entirely a good idea against Link in my opinion unless for some reason he chooses to stop pulling bombs and arrows and tries to play footsy with you. I feel like his overall slow speed and highly punishable grab makes for great shield grabbing which you should be able to combo safely into a lot of your aerials.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
Good matchups (specially the up smash spike one). You have to mix ground and air game more, use more tilts... Try to don't fast fall after a Fair and begin the move as fast as you leave the ground... I saw a Short hopped Dair on the edge to edgeguard, was good but can be improved if you fair/bair/dodge when you return to the stage.

Top Bottom