• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learning Peach

tac12pyro

Smash Rookie
What's up guys??
Was wonderin if anyone out there had some tips on learning to play Peach in melee. Been thinking about picking her up as a secondary, or possibly even main. Also, I'm pretty new to competitive melee (i'm a little late lol) and wanted to hear any tips you may have. Thanks homies!

o0silentshadow0o

Smash Cadet
There is more to Peach then just "Using turnip a lot," and "Use down smash and neutral air a lot." I am not the best Peach player, but at least I have some familiarity with her.

So just like any other character, before you even learn how play her in Neutral, I recommend learning your characters tech's first. In Peaches case, a crucial one is quick float cancel Aerial (Ask me if you don't understand any tech I mention), using different float heights for certain situations (that is something you have to look up), and chain grabbing Fox/Falco. Those are basically all the tech you need for her as a beginner for Peach, but I wouldn't stop at that. A very under used tech that Peach has is Jump Cancel (Which is basically jumping on the ground, and very quickly jumping again between the first 2 frames in the air), what this does is makes Peach go into a squat position and let's her act out of it as if she had 0 frames of landing lag. So what does that mean, and how can it be used? Well instead of Shield grabbing (which takes 7 frames, and is unsafe), you can instead Jump Cancel out of shield (Since Peaches Jump Squat is 4 frames, you have to take that into account, but that still leaves you with 3 extra frames to act out of compared to Shield grabbing) and then you can literally do ANYTHING. I mean anything, you can Down smash, jab, Up Smash, Tilt, anything you want really. Frame wise it's "best" to do a jab out of Shield, but realistically it's WAYYYY better to Down Smash out of Shield, which in total is 9 frames (4 frames from Jump Squat, and 5 from Down Smashing), so it's only 2 frames slower then a Shield grab, but is so much better and covers more ground. No more do you need to be scared of Shielding, now your opponents will be scared to approach your shield, and it will force them to respect more of your space, since Down Smash out of shield is soooo fast. Oh yes, the way I do this tech is pressing Y and then quickly shift my finger to X, but it's up to you.

As for Peach in Neutral...... I am not so familiar with that, but what I do know is that there is a lot of punishing unsafe Aerials with crouch cancel into Down Smash. But there is of course much more to her then that, what I would recommend is watching top player Peaches play while studying them, and looking at Threads about how to play Peach in Neutral.

Last edited:

o0silentshadow0o

Smash Cadet
Also study her frame Data, either look it up online, or download this great App called "Frame Melee." It basically let's you look at every characters Frame data, Hit Boxes, and Hurt Boxes. As well as get 20XX Training Hack Pack, then turn on "Blue: While in Hit Stun," that way you will know how much hit stun each move gives, and you can see what connects at certain percents.

Last edited:

RedCoatGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
GameAddict64
3DS FC
5155-3409-7413
There's more to Peaches turnip game then just spam when it comes to her turnips there are many effects they can have depending on the face of the turnip I suggest you look up what these are and what they do as some are alot more uncommon to pull as others so after this learn how you can use the turnip you have as efficiently as possible

If you wanna see examples of high tier peach play I suggest looking up plays of Armada or Mac D as they are some of the best Peach's out there

Heres a helpful tutorial that Mac D made practice these techniques and you'll be on her way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvNgmahChOM

Kyler

Smash Cadet
if u get confused on how to use peaches downsmash ( i know its very hard) watch some mac D videos he has spent years mastering downsmash :^)

Top Bottom