• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learning an instrument, I need some help.

Vts

Smash Champion
So I've decided after about 10 years of my life that I wanted to learn an instrument but wasn't ready I've finally picked 2 I want to learn.

Piano and violin.

So going to start off with violin and I have almost no idea of what to do to get started so looking for help, I have a few questions just to give you little easier time of what I need.

1. Should I start off with electric violin?

2. Would it be possible to teach myself or do I need a teacher?

3. What all do I need to be ready to play?

Thanks in advance :)

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I was in band all through middle school and high school, and if you're serious about learning an instrument, especially one like violin, you'll definitely need a private instructor. if you don't, then you'll get too discouraged and you'll stop caring.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
1. if you want to become a musician, you have to think about it in terms of learning music through your instrument, instead of simply learning your instrument

LEARNING MUSIC THROUGH YOUR INSTRUMENT not learning your instrument
instructors force you to do this but if you are sufficiently self motivated and have the right mindset you will be okay
the thing about teachers is that (obviously) they know what to teach and so if you don't have one, you have to spend a lot of time figuring out how to learn so basically your money vs your time

Rayku

Smash Lord
You should hire Tong's girlfriend to instruct you. She's a freaking artist with the cello

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Play scales and always make sure you are playing in tune with the violin. You don't want to train your ear wrong, so have a tunner since you can't play with others. That's the main thing. Nothing you do will get past playing scales in tune. That's the main thing you need to do. Once you can play every scale, in tune, with ease, memorized, then its just a very easy but gradual climb from there.

Pritch

Smash Lord
Along the subject of learning music through your instrument, if you're planning on learning both piano and violin eventually I highly recommend starting with piano first. Most (western) music is based off of the piano, and learning it first gives you a really good foundation that makes learning other instruments WAAAAY easier.

Plus, from a more practical standpoint piano has the most practical application in terms of actually getting out and playing. There's not a lot of gigs on violin unless you're lucky and skilled enough to get in on the orchestra thing. There's way more opportunities to play on piano, particularly since it has jazz and (some) popular applications as well as the classical stuff.

In terms of actually learning to play the instrument:

Play scales and always make sure you are playing in tune with the violin. You don't want to train your ear wrong, so have a tunner since you can't play with others. That's the main thing. Nothing you do will get past playing scales in tune. That's the main thing you need to do. Once you can play every scale, in tune, with ease, memorized, then its just a very easy but gradual climb from there.
I both agree and disagree with this. On the one hand, he's totally right that if you're seriously into learning to play music you're gonna have to deal with this at some point, and the earlier the better. That said though, this isn't where I'd recommend starting. Learning scales (or rather learning to play comfortably in all keys - not the same thing) is crucial, but running scales is tedious and starting there as a stone-cold beginner is likely to burn you out. If you want to learn to play music, start by learning some simple songs, aka playing music. Make sure you're actually having fun before you start grinding out technical studies and stuff. THEN start in on the scales and other stuff to build up your chops.

Oh, and like most everyone else here is saying, getting a private instructor to guide you through the beginning steps of learning to play your instrument is going to save you a ton of time and effort. It's also really easy to learn bad habits trying to teach yourself how to play, and getting a teacher neatly sidesteps that issue and can save you a huge amount of grief later on. I HIGHLY recommend getting one, at least getting started.

Vts

Smash Champion
Along the subject of learning music through your instrument, if you're planning on learning both piano and violin eventually I highly recommend starting with piano first. Most (western) music is based off of the piano, and learning it first gives you a really good foundation that makes learning other instruments WAAAAY easier.

Plus, from a more practical standpoint piano has the most practical application in terms of actually getting out and playing. There's not a lot of gigs on violin unless you're lucky and skilled enough to get in on the orchestra thing. There's way more opportunities to play on piano, particularly since it has jazz and (some) popular applications as well as the classical stuff.
i don't plan to be amazing or be in an orchestra or play in small gigs just something that i've always wanted to learn and a hobby.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I also highly recommend getting a teacher. Even with a background in music, when I tried teaching myself guitar, I got bored fast. I had no idea where to start. I really wish I got lessons.

Also, Piano is a lot more practical, and it will probably force you to read music more. Since I played Trumpet, I never really learned Bass clef, which I regret now. I kinda struggle with that.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
You should hire Tong's girlfriend to instruct you. She's a freaking artist with the cello
she actually teaches (or taught i 5got) violin lessons through gt so this idea might even be valid

she also plays viola and violin at gig+ level and p good at piano and not bad at guitar and

the important distinction that she is a musician and not an ________ player aka cover artist

you become a musician by learning music i mean it's not something you have to focus on from day 1 but keep it in mind and get started on it eventually or you will forever and ever be just a cover artist

Top Bottom