• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Whoa, I saw this mentioned in 4chan, that Layton was among the best selling third party games on any Nintendo console, and when I went after the data I discovered its not simply "among" the best selling, it is the third best selling 3rd party game, behind Street Fighter 2, Dragon Quest 9, if this page on Wikipedia is believable.

I will be honest, I myself never played Layton, its on my DS backlog which, much like my PS2 backlog, is basically infinite, but I do love other Level-5 games and have been a fan of the company since Dark Cloud 2. I had considered him a possible rep, but I was always under the impression Yokai Watch outsold it and I never found YW to be a very likely pick. This info on the sales really changed my perspective on this.
I don't know as much about overall best selling third party series on any Nintendo consoles. But it is true that the Layton series is currently Level-5's highest selling franchise, being at 17 million as of last year. I don't know as much about Yokai Watch's sales numbers but according to this wiki page, The current latest recorded sales numbers is currently at about 10 million.

Yokai Watch is only really more popular than the Layton series in Japan. But even then, the Layton series is still highly popular there too, with the anime even doing pretty well there as well despite not even starring Hershel but his daughter.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Curious Villager Curious Villager If I may request, you should watch Episode 42 as well, that episode surprised me with how it made Sherl and very fun character to watch. I was expecting to be bored based on the episode's premise, but how the mystery was unfolded was clever and entertaining.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Curious Villager Curious Villager If I may request, you should watch Episode 42 as well, that episode surprised me with how it made Sherl and very fun character to watch. I was expecting to be bored based on the episode's premise, but how the mystery was unfolded was clever and entertaining.
That was a pretty cute episode indeed. I'm happy to see that they are giving each of the characters their own focus episodes. I should really probably watch the rest of the show.

By the way, seems like the next Pokemon Games will be taking place on a region based off Great Britain. Would be neat if there was a reference to the Layton series somewhere. Even if it was with some random gentleman trainer with a dialogue for having an affinity for puzzles. Though I guess the Pokemon anime would probably be more likely to do something like that.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
By the way, seems like the next Pokemon Games will be taking place on a region based off Great Britain. Would be neat if there was a reference to the Layton series somewhere. Even if it was with some random gentleman trainer with a dialogue for having an affinity for puzzles. Though I guess the Pokemon anime would probably be more likely to do something like that.
well theyve had references to other things so why not

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
That was a pretty cute episode indeed. I'm happy to see that they are giving each of the characters their own focus episodes. I should really probably watch the rest of the show.

makes me wonder if Layton was a Pokemon trainer what would his team be?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
hang on surely pokemon based on the animals hes befriended through out the games

well luke befriended

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
hang on surely pokemon based on the animals hes befriended through out the games

well luke befriended
Like you said, they'd probably suit Luke better since he usually had a deeper bond with them. I guess in terms pokemon for Luke based off the animal buddies.
Dedenne, Chatot, Bruxish(?), Scorbunny(or Buneary), Pachirisu.
Not sure what Pokemon could be used to substitute the Robot Dog though...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Like you said, they'd probably suit Luke better since he usually had a deeper bond with them. I guess in terms pokemon for Luke based off the animal buddies.
Dedenne, Chatot, Bruxish(?), Scorbunny(or Buneary), Pachirisu.
Not sure what Pokemon could be used to substitute the Robot Dog though...
well im sure any dog pokemon would do

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So the Layton anime will be reaching its closure very soon (at least for the first season) at March 31. They just recently concluded the storyline from the game (Layton's Mystery Journey, Katrielle and the Millionaire's conspiracy), so I'm assuming the final two upcoming episodes will be concluding the Professor Layton ark.

So what are you guys hoping to see for the next two episodes, and if Level-5 where to do a second season, what would you hope to see next? A continuation of Katrielle's adventures, or would you like to see the anime taking place during the original series?

Hopefully we will be getting some sort of update at least in regards to the next game though. If anything, at least a confirmation that it will be heading to the Switch.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
At the very least, I hope they actually market the game properly this time, rather than just announcing it out of the blue and just throwing the game into the eStore and expecting word of mouth to handle the rest, like they did with the HD remakes...

But well, since its a new entry, we hopefully won't have to worry about that...
That said, yeah, they probably will have to do something to shake up the formula this time. I'd hate to play into the "make x series open world" meme but maybe take some pointers from Breath of the Wild and how it had many puzzles scattered across the world in a free roaming environment (Granted most of them where repetitive Korok seed puzzles but hopefully Level-5 will be able to do something a bit more creative than that...)

Though at the same time, that might sacrifice the simplicity nature of the Layton series being a point and click adventure series so that's another thing to keep in mind.

Overall though, I think they should go back into the overall simplistic but more focused storylines like the original trilogy. Maybe also shake a few things up in regards to the storylines, there is only so many times you can pull off the "main villain was disguising as someone else" plot twist or "x person dies in the end" type storytelling before it just becomes repetitive and predictable.

They should maybe also improve on the puzzle aspect of the series, I've heard that the puzzles in LMJ where probably the weakest in the whole series. While I understand that the original puzzle master has passed away before that game came out, maybe in that case, try to go for a more quality over quantity approach or look back at the earlier games and look into what made them click. Maybe there are less puzzles this time, but at least they would have more thought put into them to ensure that they are at least up to par with the rest of the series.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
At the very least, I hope they actually market the game properly this time, rather than just announcing it out of the blue and just throwing the game into the eStore and expecting word of mouth to handle the rest, like they did with the HD remakes...

But well, since its a new entry, we hopefully won't have to worry about that...
That said, yeah, they probably will have to do something to shake up the formula this time. I'd hate to play into the "make x series open world" meme but maybe take some pointers from Breath of the Wild and how it had many puzzles scattered across the world in a free roaming environment (Granted most of them where repetitive Korok seed puzzles but hopefully Level-5 will be able to do something a bit more creative than that...)

Though at the same time, that might sacrifice the simplicity nature of the Layton series being a point and click adventure series so that's another thing to keep in mind.

Overall though, I think they should go back into the overall simplistic but more focused storylines like the original trilogy. Maybe also shake a few things up in regards to the storylines, there is only so many times you can pull off the "main villain was disguising as someone else" plot twist or "x person dies in the end" type storytelling before it just becomes repetitive and predictable.

They should maybe also improve on the puzzle aspect of the series, I've heard that the puzzles in LMJ where probably the weakest in the whole series. While I understand that the original puzzle master has passed away before that game came out, maybe in that case, try to go for a more quality over quantity approach or look back at the earlier games and look into what made them click. Maybe there are less puzzles this time, but at least they would have more thought put into them to ensure that they are at least up to par with the rest of the series.
The puzzles are the most concerning to me. They really took a dive in quality, and I hope they can find a suitable replacement for Toga. Otherwise, I don't see a point in continuing with the series.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Speaking of the Millionaire's Conspiracy.
While I thought Ernst's backstory was well done, I felt that the series needed more episodes developing his relationship with Katrielle and other characters to make the mystery resolution more satisfactory. There was at least one episode that put Ernst in an interesting situation, but it was only that one time. I also felt that the backstory at least needed a few scenes where Ernst met Katrielle to start the mystery business. I kinda forgot about the origins of Ernst meeting Katrielle and I'm currently unsure if such backstory existed (I am pretty sure it did). And if it did exist, there should have been one flashback scene of the meeting in the crux of Ernst's involvement in the mystery.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The puzzles are the most concerning to me. They really took a dive in quality, and I hope they can find a suitable replacement for Toga. Otherwise, I don't see a point in continuing with the series.
Oh, you don't know Hino. He milks a series dry until they inevitably flop.

It's a wonder Inazuma Eleven did get brought back, really.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I guess the only reason the Layton series is still as alive as it is, is because its one of Level-5's biggest brands, if not, the biggest since its their highest selling franchise globally.

Though this does make me a bit concerned about the series future...

Anyway, apparently Curious Village HD may be getting a Switch port as well very soon. Which is nice, I guess I'll just save my cash and buy that over the Switch port of LMJ. Especially since there is apparently some new concept art that never got released before the HD remake.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
And so, the final episode of the Layton anime has aired. Nice little cliffhanger they showed at the end though with a certain familiar face.
For those who have been following the Layton anime, what did you think of it?

I personally think they could have developed Layton and Kat's father daughter relationship a bit better. Or at least, shown a bit more of it rather than just telling us for the most part. Which even shows during their reunion scene where most of the memories in the background where unrelated to Hershel and Kat. But that's just me I guess.

I do hope that they will confirm a second season soon though, because I do want them to carry on with supporting the series beyond just the games in order to capture a wider audience.

Anyway, I think we will be seeing more of the Layton series for the rest of the year. Kats game will be coming to the Switch soon in the West. And Curious Village will likely be following too in Japan (With the rest of the OG series following onwards) at least for this year, where probably not going to be hearing about the next game until next year.

With that said, Layton's inclusion in Smash couldn't come at a better time as newcomers will have a convenient way of trying out the series on the Switch this year. If he is coming though, we probably won't be hearing about it until later this year. Probably around the time when the next Level-5 vision starts sometime October which would probably make him the fourth fighters pass character or so.

But hey, that's just wishful thinking on my part...

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I was incredibly surprised by how dark the motivations were for the main villain. Ald is probably the most savage villain I seen out of all them in the Layton series (or more accurately the most violent). The idea of the inevitable end and Judgment Day was not what I expected. This finale sets up a bunch of interesting things Professor Layton could do in the future. It is probably not going to happen and be cast aside, but I hope the Professor will be able to solve the mystery of stopping the comet. I would love to see some time skip where Layton goes into the future 120 years later to stop the apocalypse. The idea is so bizarre, yet an intriguing concept to pursue for the overall story of Layton.

Layton Mystery Detective Agency definitely was a fun anime throughout its whole run. Katrielle's lovable personality and its unique aspect of making me as a viewer participate in the episodic mysteries were draws of the anime. A few of the episodic mysteries felt jarringly illogical or poorly executed, but 70% of them were generally good. I think there is too much of a frequency to make the viewer cry, at least in the first half, because pretty much every episode tries to end the mystery with characters crying. Some mysteries work well with the crying moments when the mystery/narrative are cohesively well-constructed, others are not so much.

I definitely wanted to see more of those kinds of episodes where it is focused on side-characters like Emiliana, Ernest, and the Inspector, the fun kind that extracts the wholesome, hilarious moments. Surprisingly, more of the mysteries focus on the lesser side characters like the farmboy, the seven wealthy people, and the swirly hair genius. I think out of all minor character casts in the Layton series, they felt the most fleshed out. Some of the NPCs in Layton games, while they have charming designs, are pretty forgettable. I felt more closely connected to these "NPCs" (minor characters) and welcomed their reappearance when they returned for another episodic mystery. It kinda makes me wish that the 3DS game had the complete story with these close character explorations.

As for my thoughts on the grand mystery being widely separated, I did not mind it personally because Katrielle Layton alone entertained me enough. The grand mystery felt more like an extra dessert, while the episodic mysteries were the main course. I was pretty surprised that the grand mystery was well-crafted and well-thought out. I think those episodes could have slowed down the pacing so that I could be given time to form my own conclusions on the mysteries. It is not a big issue though. If another season of Layton comes, I hope the staff can improve in crafting episodic mysteries, while also integrating interesting character explorations for characters like Emiliana, Sherl and the Inspector. Katrielle and Ernest are pretty much fleshed out now, and now there is room to flesh out the other characters.

I am going to miss the anime series. I am dying for more Katrielle. I want the Layton anime to return so that Kana Hanazawa can voice her again. Personally, I am more excited about the prospect of another season of Katrielle episodic mysteries than the idea of a Layton anime based on the six Layton games (A.K.A. what Ace Attorney is currently doing right now with its anime adaptation). Should the six game anime happen though, I hope Hino considers the idea of fleshing out Luke, Flora, Emmy, and Layton more than just doing a simple copy and paste. Give them some substantial character arcs.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I guess it depends on what they will be doing next and when the next entry comes out.
If Level-5 is going to focus this year on bringing over the original trilogy to the Switch and mobile in order to reintroduce the Layton series to a new audience. Then I can see the next season of the Layton anime focusing on the events of the original trilogy. The storylines were fairly short for the most part compared to the rest of the series so I can see each game having about a 5 to 8 episode arc going on, give or take. Especially if the season has a 50 episode run too. Which probably means about half the season would probably be dedicated to the games storylines while the other half can be dedicated to side stories and filler episodes.

Heck they can maybe use that as an opportunity to bring in some of the teased side stories that Level-5 had given for the OG trilogy over the years. Such as the letter Emmy send to Layton in regards to some masked bandit or something if I recall (Also an opportunity to at least briefly bring Emmy into the OG trilogy).
Maybe expand on the Silenced Bell of Big Ben thing at the beginning of Eternal Diva, and maybe, just maybe, finally address Luke's Letter at the end of Lost Future... (That's probably not happening)

And of course, this would also be an opportunity to expand and develop further any of the past characters that didn't manage to get much screen time during the games *coughFloracoughDonPaolocough* by giving them their own focus episodes and all.

That's just me though.

Anyway, to maybe spark a bit more of a discussion in this thread. What are your current stance in regards to Layton (or Level-5 in general) and the likelihood of him appearing during Smash Ultimate's post release DLC lifecycle. Whether it's him being playable, a Mii fighter Costume or Spirit? And what if we end up getting more than just this one fighters pass?

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I guess it depends on what they will be doing next and when the next entry comes out.
If Level-5 is going to focus this year on bringing over the original trilogy to the Switch and mobile in order to reintroduce the Layton series to a new audience. Then I can see the next season of the Layton anime focusing on the events of the original trilogy. The storylines were fairly short for the most part compared to the rest of the series so I can see each game having about a 5 to 8 episode arc going on, give or take. Especially if the season has a 50 episode run too. Which probably means about half the season would probably be dedicated to the games storylines while the other half can be dedicated to side stories and filler episodes.

Heck they can maybe use that as an opportunity to bring in some of the teased side stories that Level-5 had given for the OG trilogy over the years. Such as the letter Emmy send to Layton in regards to some masked bandit or something if I recall (Also an opportunity to at least briefly bring Emmy into the OG trilogy).
Maybe expand on the Silenced Bell of Big Ben thing at the beginning of Eternal Diva, and maybe, just maybe, finally address Luke's Letter at the end of Lost Future...

And of course, this would also be an opportunity to expand and develop further any of the past characters that didn't manage to get much screen time during the games *coughFloracoughDonPaolocough* by giving them their own focus episodes and all.

That's just me though.

Anyway, to maybe spark a bit more of a discussion in this thread. What are your current stance in regards to Layton (or Level-5 in general) and the likelihood of him appearing during Smash Ultimate's post release DLC lifecycle. Whether it's him being playable, a Mii fighter Costume or Spirit? And what if we end up getting more than just this one fighters pass?
I think he has a fair shot, especially if there are more waves of DLC, but I don't think they would add him in any other way other than playable.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think Layton has a pretty good shot. He fits Sakurai's criteria imo, and would be a good fourth or fifth character to reveal (not an E3 guy, but could definitely show up later).

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I really feel like Layton has a shot, which has me excited. I've said it many a time but I'd LOVE a double reveal with Phoenix. Like that's my dream scenario.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think Layton has a pretty good shot. He fits Sakurai's criteria imo, and would be a good fourth or fifth character to reveal (not an E3 guy, but could definitely show up later).
Yeah I wouldn't really expect him as an E3 reveal myself. That would probably be more likely to go towards a character like Banjo or Heihachi or something.
Layton being a late 2019 reveal would probably be the safest bet. Somewhere around October or so. Unless Sakurai does a dual reveal at that point in which case Layton and Phoenix double reveal lets go!

I really feel like Layton has a shot, which has me excited. I've said it many a time but I'd LOVE a double reveal with Phoenix. Like that's my dream scenario.
Boy if we do end up getting both Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright then I'm satisfied for life as far the Smash series is concerned!
Please Sakurai...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Layton and Phoenix in Smash would be the Ultimate throw everything out of the window reveal for me.

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
It really depends on how heavy the Layton series is about to start swinging imo.
For this DLC cycle, they've already indicated with Joker that they are pulling no punches. Whilst Joker would be right at home on a Nintendo console, he has the advantage of starring in one of the most globally popular and acclaimed games of the last few years already. I think his standing in Japanese audiences helped him out a tonne to be honest, as the base game newcomers were very NA-centric and Japanese fans got... Richter I guess?

Layton does have one of those in his favour - global appeal (especially the relatively-maligned JP/EU/AU this game). Other characters I've toyed with considering for DLC like Kratos for example probably don't have quite the same appeal in Japan? This is a totally unresearched and unsubstantiated claim btw but that's just what I'd expect. What he doesn't have is the recent relevance. LMJ was nowhere near as impactful as Persona 5. Layton hasn't made any splashes for years now.

I would expect to see a Capcom character (I'm convinced MonHun was meant to be in but cut last minute and replaced with Ken to keep Capcom happy. They might have a view to correct that - MonHun or Leon S. Kennedy are my picks) and a gen 8 (are we on gen 8? I forget) Pokemon for sure and I wouldn't be shocked to see a new Nintendo IP at E3 and the protagonist of that getting in. And let's not forget "Brave". They all (probably, depending on who Brave actually is) fit the bill of global mass appeal and serve the purpose of generating internet-dominating hype for sure.

In my headcanon of what I expect to see, I dunno if there's room for Layton to be honest BUT if the Layton series is about to kick it up a gear, that could accelerate his chances enormously.
He's got the global appeal already. He's pretty safe in that regard. He's also very distinct from everyone else in silhouette, character, aesthetic etc which will do him a lot of favours. He just needs a bit of momentum and then I could really see him in with a chance.

But all of this is nothing but conjecture.

Let's see what happens - fingers crossed!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Recently I've managed to get a few of my friends to try out Layton games, and they loved them! Which is great, considering before that I didn't personally know anyone who'd played them.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The trilogy is finally out! I cannot wait to actually learn more about this character soon!
Will likely be my next purchase.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The trilogy is finally out! I cannot wait to actually learn more about this character soon!
Will likely be my next purchase.
Oh the whole Trilogy is out already, or do you mean the Ace Attorney one? I believe that one did come out the other day.

Well I hope you enjoy either way.

It really depends on how heavy the Layton series is about to start swinging imo.
For this DLC cycle, they've already indicated with Joker that they are pulling no punches. Whilst Joker would be right at home on a Nintendo console, he has the advantage of starring in one of the most globally popular and acclaimed games of the last few years already. I think his standing in Japanese audiences helped him out a tonne to be honest, as the base game newcomers were very NA-centric and Japanese fans got... Richter I guess?

Layton does have one of those in his favour - global appeal (especially the relatively-maligned JP/EU/AU this game). Other characters I've toyed with considering for DLC like Kratos for example probably don't have quite the same appeal in Japan? This is a totally unresearched and unsubstantiated claim btw but that's just what I'd expect. What he doesn't have is the recent relevance. LMJ was nowhere near as impactful as Persona 5. Layton hasn't made any splashes for years now.

I would expect to see a Capcom character (I'm convinced MonHun was meant to be in but cut last minute and replaced with Ken to keep Capcom happy. They might have a view to correct that - MonHun or Leon S. Kennedy are my picks) and a gen 8 (are we on gen 8? I forget) Pokemon for sure and I wouldn't be shocked to see a new Nintendo IP at E3 and the protagonist of that getting in. And let's not forget "Brave". They all (probably, depending on who Brave actually is) fit the bill of global mass appeal and serve the purpose of generating internet-dominating hype for sure.

In my headcanon of what I expect to see, I dunno if there's room for Layton to be honest BUT if the Layton series is about to kick it up a gear, that could accelerate his chances enormously.
He's got the global appeal already. He's pretty safe in that regard. He's also very distinct from everyone else in silhouette, character, aesthetic etc which will do him a lot of favours. He just needs a bit of momentum and then I could really see him in with a chance.

But all of this is nothing but conjecture.

Let's see what happens - fingers crossed!
Yeah we will probably have to wait a bit until the series gets back on full gear again, the anime recently ended so Level-5 will have to keep the momentum going. Hopefully they will officially announce the Switch release of Curious Village very soon (and market it properly this time, or at least let Nintendo feature it in one of their Directs) and hopefully the rest of the trilogy will follow soon after throughout the year.

We'll probably get to hear about the new game soon after that's all wrapped up. It would be almost three years since LMJ originally came out so we should be hearing about the new entry fairly soon.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Oh the whole Trilogy is out already, or do you mean the Ace Attorney one? I believe that one did come out the other day.

Well I hope you enjoy either way.

Yeah we will probably have to wait a bit until the series gets back on full gear again, the anime recently ended so Level-5 will have to keep the momentum going. Hopefully they will officially announce the Switch release of Curious Village very soon (and market it properly this time, or at least let Nintendo feature it in one of their Directs) and hopefully the rest of the trilogy will follow soon after throughout the year.

We'll probably get to hear about the new game soon after that's all wrapped up. It would be almost three years since LMJ originally came out so we should be hearing about the new entry fairly soon.
Oh man it was Ace Attorney. Well, still good!

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I don’t play Professor Layton games, but I feel like he’s prominent enough to join Smash. You have my support.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So apparently Joker's series icon will be represented by a top hat.
This kind of makes me wonder what Layton's series logo would be if he does eventually make it in. Since I would have assumed that it would be based off his signature top hat logo as well.
If we where to suppose that Layton wouldn't end up getting the top hat as his series icon due to it potentially getting mixed up with Persona's series icon and whatnot, what else would you imagine Sakurai going for instead?

I suppose the next best thing would probably be a magnifying glass or just the letter L of his initial from that logo. Or maybe a mixture of both.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So apparently Joker's series icon will be represented by a top hat.

This kind of makes me wonder what Layton's series logo would be if he does eventually make it in. Since I would have assumed that it would be based off his signature top hat logo as well.

If we where to suppose that Layton wouldn't end up getting the top hat as his series icon due to it potentially getting mixed up with Persona's series icon and whatnot, what else would you imagine Sakurai going for instead?

I suppose the next best thing would probably be a magnifying glass or just the letter L of his initial from that logo. Or maybe a mixture of both.
i just dont see it being anything other than that, id think getting the two mixed up would be fairly unlikely as they are pretty different

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I mean, like I said, Its only a hypothetical thought in case they do decide to give the Layton series something different, the series icon's aren't always what you'd expect (Looks at Megaman's gear icon or the Fire Emblem logo being Marth's Falchion rather than the Fire Emblem itself) or sometimes they go for something that is more universal to a given franchise, whether its done for future proof in case they ever introduce more characters to a series.

The top hat logo is emblematic towards Hershel himself and would probably still suit Katrielle too, but may not as well for say, Alfendi's series or whatever future protagonist Level-5 introduces for the Layton franchise.

So an emblem that is more universal to the core mechanics of a series might work too (Like how Mario and Pokemon have the Mushroom and Pokeball symbols respectively) I still have yet to play Layton Brothers Mystery Room, but I'd imagine a magnifying glass is still an important component in the game since you still have to do a lot of investigating in that game.

I thought a magnifying glass looking through a sliding puzzle depicting the letter L might also work out as it showcases two of the series core mechanics as well as the first initial of the Layton family.

That's just me though. I'd still like to see the iconic top hat seal be used as the series icon though but eh, just looking at what other potential directions they may potentially could go with as well.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, like I said, Its only a hypothetical thought in case they do decide to give the Layton series something different, the series icon's aren't always what you'd expect (Looks at Megaman's gear icon or the Fire Emblem logo being Marth's Falchion rather than the Fire Emblem itself) or sometimes they go for something that is more universal to a given franchise, whether its done for future proof in case they ever introduce more characters to a series.

The top hat logo is emblematic towards Hershel himself and would probably still suit Katrielle too, but may not as well for say, Alfendi's series or whatever future protagonist Level-5 introduces for the Layton franchise.

So an emblem that is more universal to the core mechanics of a series might work too (Like how Mario and Pokemon have the Mushroom and Pokeball symbols respectively) I still have yet to play Layton Brothers Mystery Room, but I'd imagine a magnifying glass is still an important component in the game since you still have to do a lot of investigating in that game.

I thought a magnifying glass looking through a sliding puzzle depicting the letter L might also work out as it showcases two of the series core mechanics as well as the first initial of the Layton family.

That's just me though. I'd still like to see the iconic top hat seal be used as the series icon though but eh, just looking at what other potential directions they may potentially could go with as well.
but its already the layton series symbol, i mean with megman no one had a definite idea for his symbol and from what ive read it comes from the japanese logo, but layton has an actual series symbol to use anything else would just be bizarre

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
but its already the layton series symbol, i mean with megman no one had a definite idea for his symbol and from what ive read it comes from the japanese logo, but layton has an actual series symbol to use anything else would just be bizarre
Does he? I've always seen people envision Megaman to have his helmet be his series symbol and when it was revealed to be a gear it was met with confusion...
I didn't know the gear actually had an origin... (Besides the fact that Megaman is a robot and all)

Last edited:
Top Bottom