• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Hey, it's Layton's day on Rate their Chances. Just letting you know in case you want to give your two cents, if anyone can sell people on Layton, it's obviously you guys!
Just did my part and gave my chance and want ratings for the professor. Gotta lend our favorite gentleman a hand in times like this!

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
I was lucky today - I ended up finding the first 3 Layton for DS at s charity shop in very good condition.
So good in fact, they even had the codes for the club Nintendo promotion they were running still intact and unused.

Now if I had a time machine, I would be able to get that Layton display case for my collection!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I was lucky today - I ended up finding the first 3 Layton for DS at s charity shop in very good condition.
So good in fact, they even had the codes for the club Nintendo promotion they were running still intact and unused.

Now if I had a time machine, I would be able to get that Layton display case for my collection!
seems a bit of a shame they were never used, its a nice case

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Oof I always regretted not getting that game box for the original trilogy back when I had the chance.

I mean, I could probably get a used one off eBay but eh, it won't be the same... :drsad:

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Really though, finding the case is a pain on eBay.
They either come with the three games themselves or the box itself is in bad condition.
Just such a pain, I'm not even much of a collector but damn these games would look good on my shelf in that little brown Layton box.

amageish

Smash Master
Their still doing stuff on the 3DS eShop?

I thought they discontinued the entire console productions the other day...

Still, that's pretty cool to know.
I mean, the Wii Shop Channel only shut down last year, so I imagine the 3DS eShop will continue to serve people for a long time at this point...

I don't know how long they'll continue to do sales, but if it's still giving them money, then I see no reason to stop. I imagine temporary discounts could make people go back to the 3DS in a way permanent discounts wouldn't, as yo can procrastinate a price reduction forever while you can miss a sale...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I mean, the Wii Shop Channel only shut down last year, so I imagine the 3DS eShop will continue to serve people for a long time at this point...

I don't know how long they'll continue to do sales, but if it's still giving them money, then I see no reason to stop. I imagine temporary discounts could make people go back to the 3DS in a way permanent discounts wouldn't, as yo can procrastinate a price reduction forever while you can miss a sale...
I mean, yeah they'd still keep the online and the eShop itself around for a while.

Just didn't know they where still doing things like sales and news and whatnot on there..

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Seems like they did focus mainly on those three aforementioned games.

However, Level-5 apparently has some more updates to show on October 5th.
Mainly some event service, so I guess there's that to look forward to..

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Seems like they did focus mainly on those three aforementioned games.

However, Level-5 apparently has some more updates to show on October 5th.
Mainly some event service, so I guess there's that to look forward to..
well at least we know what theyve been up too and that the company shows no sign of being in as much trouble as people suggest

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well at least we know what theyve been up too and that the company shows no sign of being in as much trouble as people suggest
They seem fine yeah, at least they still got some planned titles for 2021 (asides from the often delayed Inazuma Eleven game which eventual release, if ever, is anyone's guess at this point...)

Since they seem to have some plans for October, hopefully we'll be hearing more from them and what else they've got in store very soon...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh thank heavens where finally getting some new info.

A bit concerned over the three minute runtime and Sakurai's message though.

Hopefully everything's alright over there...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well if Ninty is having a grip on the choices then surely they've got a spot reserved for good o'll L5 right, right...?

They would, probably pick the ghost cat though... :drsad:

amageish

Smash Master
I'm content. Kind of wish they'd rip off the band-aid and just reveal the remaining fighters though... Not because I have low expectations or anything, but because things feel very unpredictable and the idea of speculating for another year+ is becoming a little bit "I stare into the void of Smash speculation and the void stares back at me."

On that note, no clue what this means for Layton lol, if anything. A big third party could be read as good because more third parties or bad because I imagine Minecraft was expensive and ARMS may indicate they're saving money on licensing elsewhere...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm content. Kind of wish they'd rip off the band-aid and just reveal the remaining fighters though... Not because I have low expectations or anything, but because things feel very unpredictable and the idea of speculating for another year+ is becoming a little bit "I stare into the void of Smash speculation and the void stares back at me."

On that note, no clue what this means for Layton lol, if anything. A big third party could be read as good because more third parties or bad because I imagine Minecraft was expensive and ARMS may indicate they're saving money on licensing elsewhere...
Yeah Minecraft is probably the biggest IP they licenced for this pass, much like Hero was for the last pass.
There might be one more bigwig character in there somewhere (Probably "reserved" for next years E3, if there is one...) though the rest would probably be more along the lines of Terry, and Joker and whatnot.

So hopefully Layton would be able to manage to make it in there, somehow...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well if Ninty is having a grip on the choices then surely they've got a spot reserved for good o'll L5 right, right...?

They would, probably pick the ghost cat though... :drsad:
i can imagine they suggest both. i think the list of characters nintendo suggest is longer than the characters we get

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i can imagine they suggest both. i think the list of characters nintendo suggest is longer than the characters we get
True, he did have Slime and Ninjara as alternative options if Hero and MinMin didn't work out for any reason.

Sakurai might keep one as a back up plan if he can't for any reason use the other. Though I'd imagine Hino would be fine with whichever they choose to go for.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah Minecraft is probably the biggest IP they licenced for this pass, much like Hero was for the last pass.
There might be one more bigwig character in there somewhere (Probably "reserved" for next years E3, if there is one...) though the rest would probably be more along the lines of Terry, and Joker and whatnot.

So hopefully Layton would be able to manage to make it in there, somehow...
Yeah, I guess the question is just what kind of characters they're interested in for the final four. If they focus on third parties with good relationships with Nintendo and no content in Smash, then I imagine Level-5 has to be in the top 4. If they go back and fourth between first parties, third parties in the game, and third parties not in the game... then we may have an issue.

I guess we should also be bracing for potential costuming at any point.

Sakurai's definitely leaving it vague about how the selection process works, which is probably a win-win for him and Nintendo. I don't think they gain much from us knowing the selection process beyond us complaining louder haha... 😅

Top Bottom