• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's their most successful/well known series so they would try to release them as often as they can
Yeah, I forgot they also did that Layton cafe too in the west.

The Layton series managed to make the biggest impact outside of Japan as Level-5 tends to focus more on their home turf for most of their franchises.
So its good that they realise Layton's market and try to include its international audience as well when it comes to their games and promotions.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
View attachment 283692
You got me trippin, I didnt hear about that
Yeah they did a Layton cafe back when LMJ initially came out.
Was around E3 I believe.

They did another Level-5 cafe in Japan earlier this year I believe too, with Inazuma Eleven and Yo-Kai Watch.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Given how every third party DLC character has had stage cameos in all of them, how many stage cameos at bare minimum would you expect to see with Layton's stage?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Given how every third party DLC character has had stage cameos in all of them, how many stage cameos at bare minimum would you expect to see with Layton's stage?
I'd hope they would at least put in all the main recurring cast of characters.
Like Luke (unless he shows up in Layton's kit in someway I suppose eg. Morgana) Flora, Emmy, Don Paolo, Descole, Chelmey, Barton and Grosky.
Maybe also some recurring NPC's like Stachenscarfen and Granny Riddleton as well just for the heck of it.
Perhaps also the LMJ cast as well like Katrielle, Sherl, Ernest, Hastings and Emiliana.

It would bring the number up to 15 give or take. I think Terry had like 16 characters or so in his stage so it would be doable I think. Especially since the Layton cast overall have simpler looking designs and most of them already having pre existing 3D models from the main games they can reuse, only ones they'd probably have to make from scratch are Flora and Don Paolo (and maybe Luke, Chelmey and Barton as well)

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'd hope they would at least put in all the main recurring cast of characters.
Like Luke (unless he shows up in Layton's kit in someway I suppose eg. Morgana) Flora, Emmy, Don Paolo, Descole, Chelmey, Barton and Grosky.
Maybe also some recurring NPC's like Stachenscarfen and Granny Riddleton as well just for the heck of it.
Perhaps also the LMJ cast as well like Katrielle, Sherl, Ernest, Hastings and Emiliana.

It would bring the number up to 15 give or take. I think Terry had like 16 characters or so in his stage so it would be doable I think. Especially since the Layton cast overall have simpler looking designs and most of them already having pre existing 3D models from the main games they can reuse, only ones they'd probably have to make from scratch are Flora and Don Paolo (and maybe Luke, Chelmey and Barton as well)
That would be nice

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh well, since its the current trendy rumour in the character discussion thread at the moment and even though its most certainly fake, might as well give it a little chat since its like, one of those rare occasions a rumour relevant to Layton (sort of) pops up...

So this rumour supposedly predicted Min Min (Before we even knew ARMS was going to get a fighter) as well as some of the mii costumes, most notably the Vault Boy, Heihachi and Ninjara mii costumes.

Its also stating that Phoenix Wright, 2B and a Level-5 character are among the upcoming fighters pass characters as well as a number of other mii costumes.

Matthjass Matthjass sorry to bother you, I don't know if you're still here but I recall you being a regular on jeuxvideo.com and having your own Layton support thread there.
Did you happen to have come across this thread before, or the OP in question?
Its supposedly back from February so I don't blame you if you can't recall, just wondering is all.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I lean towards it being fake, particularly I can't see Sora as a Mii Costume and I'm also iffy on 2B after we learned that Sakurai and Yoko Taro didn't meet until December. But predicting Min Min, Ninjara and Vault Boy is no small feat, certainly something to keep an eye on at the very least.

amageish

Smash Master
That is such a weirdly exact leak that I struggle to believe it just because of pragmatic "How would you know all of this and yet only this" concerns, but everything in it seems... possible enough, if not especially plausible? Like, if it came true, I'd be surprised, but nothing about it fundamentally shakes my understanding of how Smash Bros works...

If it was true and it was Layton, then I guess we'd maybe be getting a Layton/Wright dual-reveal that we've always dreamed of? If they are both in this pass, then it'd almost be weird to not announce them together, if the schedule permits it...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If it was true and it was Layton, then I guess we'd maybe be getting a Layton/Wright dual-reveal that we've always dreamed of? If they are both in this pass, then it'd almost be weird to not announce them together, if the schedule permits it...
I suppose it would depend on how they would schedule things, especially with Capcom and Level-5 in the mix.

Hino did state that he has close connections with Capcom, especially after the crossover, so it may potentially be that Capcom helped get their feet into the pond but who knows...

It might even make for a lovely callback if that is the case. I can already hear Layton going all "It's been a while, hasn't it, Mr. Wright?"

amageish

Smash Master
I suppose it would depend on how they would schedule things, especially with Capcom and Level-5 in the mix.

Hino did state that he has close connections with Capcom, especially after the crossover, so it may potentially be that Capcom helped get their feet into the pond but who knows...

It might even make for a lovely callback if that is the case. I can already hear Layton going all "It's been a while, hasn't it, Mr. Wright?"
Yeah, definitely would be a question of scheduling... I can imagine one being given a gameplay reveal and the other being just revealed for the sake of a crossover though, if they were lined up back-to-back. Who knows how both would be selected though - if they purposefully decided to rep puzzle-adventure games harder this time or if they just happened to be looking for Capcom/Level-5 reps and picked them independently. I guess this "leak" just saying a "Level-5 rep" would be a sign of the latter, if taken at face value.

I definitely could see a callback if it happened. I wonder how they'd set the trailer up? We usually discuss Layton trailers as tying the Smash invite to how most Layton games begin with a letter being received, but if he was being revealed alongside Wright, then it may be better to do something that starts in Smash Bros so they meet on more equal ground.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, definitely would be a question of scheduling... I can imagine one being given a gameplay reveal and the other being just revealed for the sake of a crossover though, if they were lined up back-to-back. Who knows how both would be selected though - if they purposefully decided to rep puzzle-adventure games harder this time or if they just happened to be looking for Capcom/Level-5 reps and picked them independently. I guess this "leak" just saying a "Level-5 rep" would be a sign of the latter, if taken at face value.

I definitely could see a callback if it happened. I wonder how they'd set the trailer up? We usually discuss Layton trailers as tying the Smash invite to how most Layton games begin with a letter being received, but if he was being revealed alongside Wright, then it may be better to do something that starts in Smash Bros so they meet on more equal ground.
I mean, if you where to take this rumour at face value, then perhaps Min Min, Phoenix and 2B where probably characters they had at the development stage, which would probably be reflected by the mii costumes (Heihachi, Vault Boy and Ninjara for Min Min, Edgeworth, Dante and Gordon Freeman for Phoenix, Sora and Geno for 2B) then the Level-5 character might be a bit further off that they haven't started on yet at that point but have a general plan for them. (Assuming their still doing the whole "Working on 3 DLC characters at the same time" thing like the last pass.)

Which may mean that said Level-5 character might have their own trailer without much acknowledgement for any existing characters, like how Terry didn't really acknowledge Ryu and Ken, or it could maybe be like Banjo and be a continuation from Phoenix's trailer (assuming its Layton of course)

But overall, it would really depend on the schedules and where the characters will be placed, and if Capcom and Level-5 will be doing any co operations for this sort of thing. Who knows I suppose...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I mean, if you where to take this rumour at face value, then perhaps Min Min, Phoenix and 2B where probably characters they had at the development stage, which would probably be reflected by the mii costumes (Heihachi, Vault Boy and Ninjara for Min Min, Edgeworth, Dante and Gordon Freeman for Phoenix, Sora and Geno for 2B) then the Level-5 character might be a bit further off that they haven't started on yet at that point but have a general plan for them. (Assuming their still doing the whole "Working on 3 DLC characters at the same time" thing like the last pass.)

Which may mean that said Level-5 character might have their own trailer without much acknowledgement for any existing characters, like how Terry didn't really acknowledge Ryu and Ken, or it could maybe be like Banjo and be a continuation from Phoenix's trailer (assuming its Layton of course)

But overall, it would really depend on the schedules and where the characters will be placed, and if Capcom and Level-5 will be doing any co operations for this sort of thing. Who knows I suppose...
Oh, yeah, that makes some sense... I hadn't considered how the costumes lined up with the characters that well. Not that really helps make it any more/less trustworthy, as that both could explain why the person knew those costumes in particular or it could explain what was in the mind of the person when they made up the costume list as a fake leak...

That is true too! I feel like Layton and Wright have more of a connection then Ryu and Terry, in spite of SNK vs Capcom existing, just because of how Layton and Wright dominate their subgenre so fully...

I assume it'd at least have Layton interacting with Wright in the gameplay portion, assuming Wright was out first... I assume that doesn't require special permission to do.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh, yeah, that makes some sense... I hadn't considered how the costumes lined up with the characters that well. Not that really helps make it any more/less trustworthy, as that both could explain why the person knew those costumes in particular or it could explain what was in the mind of the person when they made up the costume list as a fake leak...

That is true too! I feel like Layton and Wright have more of a connection then Ryu and Terry, in spite of SNK vs Capcom existing, just because of how Layton and Wright dominate their subgenre so fully...

I assume it'd at least have Layton interacting with Wright in the gameplay portion, assuming Wright was out first... I assume that doesn't require special permission to do.
Yeah we're probably not going to know for sure until the next character drops.

The unfortunate part is that most of these are kinda predictable asides from the Gordon Freeman and Sora mii costumes I suppose.

Maybe 2B as well due to that thing with Sakurai and her creator late last year, though I kinda always felt she was kinda likely since she gives off that same vibe Bayonetta and Joker did, but that's probably just me...

Yeah I'd hope they will at least interact at the gameplay portion as well if anything. Or maybe a fun screenshot with them both at the Arena Ferox stage, which is probably the closest looking thing to the court place from Labyrinthia in Smash...

Edit: Actually now that I think of it, I suppose Sakurai could probably also include Phoenix in Layton's fighter showcase like he did with Ryu for Terry and DK + Diddy for Banjo..

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
what exactly does this leak say?
For those looking for a "complete" translation, I give it a try :

Title : [Warning] I leak half of the new Smash Bros' fighter pass

Post : "It's nofake guys, have a look. We will get Min Min, Phoenix Wright, 2B (Nier) and a character from Level 5 as characters.
And as Mii costumes, we get Geno, Sora, Dante, Fallout Boy (as a qualitative costume in the same vein as Sans and Cuphead, but without music), Hunter (from Phoenix Wright, not Monster Hunter), Ninjara from ARMS, Gordon Freeman and Heihachi from Tekken.

I repeat, it is "certified nofake". You'll see in 2 months with Min Min or Phoenix Wright's anouncement anyway."
From Sylink on GameFAQS.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah we're probably not going to know for sure until the next character drops.

The unfortunate part is that most of these are kinda predictable asides from the Gordon Freeman and Sora mii costumes I suppose.

Maybe 2B as well due to that thing with Sakurai and her creator late last year, though I kinda always felt she was kinda likely since she gives off that same vibe Bayonetta and Joker did, but that's probably just me...

Yeah I'd hope they will at least interact at the gameplay portion as well if anything. Or maybe a fun screenshot with them both at the Arena Ferox stage, which is probably the closest looking thing to the court place from Labyrinthia in Smash...

Edit: Actually now that I think of it, I suppose Sakurai could probably also include Phoenix in Layton's fighter showcase like he did with Ryu for Terry and DK + Diddy for Banjo..
I mean, everything in it seems possible to me; the challenge coming from how they had this much info all at once. Predicting Min Min in Feb. is impressive, but also Smash leaks are kind of 1,000 monkeys typing on keyboards and they're going to get stuff right. So, yeah, we'll see if 2B or Wright is next, I suppose...

2B's another (post-?)-modern GOTY-winning game that isn't Nintendo-associated but is from a Nintendo-associated company, so she does have some Joker-y vibes in that regard. I think her support ballooned after Joker's reveal, though that's kind of a thing with most third-party characters...

Ooo, yeah, that'd make sense. Seeing them taunt off of each other maybe? Assuming both having dramatic pointing as taunts...

That would make sense. It wouldn't be a Sakurai Presents without him showing off his skills at some point!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I mean, everything in it seems possible to me; the challenge coming from how they had this much info all at once. Predicting Min Min in Feb. is impressive, but also Smash leaks are kind of 1,000 monkeys typing on keyboards and they're going to get stuff right. So, yeah, we'll see if 2B or Wright is next, I suppose...

2B's another (post-?)-modern GOTY-winning game that isn't Nintendo-associated but is from a Nintendo-associated company, so she does have some Joker-y vibes in that regard. I think her support ballooned after Joker's reveal, though that's kind of a thing with most third-party characters...

Ooo, yeah, that'd make sense. Seeing them taunt off of each other maybe? Assuming both having dramatic pointing as taunts...

That would make sense. It wouldn't be a Sakurai Presents without him showing off his skills at some point!
Yeah its a pretty shaky ground.
When it comes to most rumours, there tends to be a bit of balance to sharing too little or too much information.
If say, the leaker went all the way down to whatever reasonings Sakurai had to choosing particular characters, its often very likely that their fake, other times they may give incomplete information or sprinkle in real information with fake info in order to keep Nintendo off their trail. (or you know, their just fake entirely)

I think there was this whole thing the Ninka/Vaanrose rumours that had small pieces of info that didn't really go too much further untill the ESRB leak happened for Smash for, or Vergeben and his trickling down info for Ultimate.

All in all, even if the rumour is most likely fake, which it most probably is, its nice that we got a little something to chew on for a bit for once...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah its a pretty shaky ground.
When it comes to most rumours, there tends to be a bit of balance to sharing too little or too much information.
If say, the leaker went all the way down to whatever reasonings Sakurai had to choosing particular characters, its often very likely that their fake, other times they may give incomplete information or sprinkle in real information with fake info in order to keep Nintendo off their trail. (or you know, their just fake entirely)

I think there was this whole thing the Ninka/Vaanrose rumours that had small pieces of info that didn't really go too much further untill the ESRB leak happened for Smash for, or Vergeben and his trickling down info for Ultimate.

All in all, even if the rumour is most likely fake, which it most probably is, its nice that we got a little something to chew on for a bit for once...
Definitely. Project plans obviously do leak sometimes, but they're less likely to leak then one single character being revealed a few days before their official reveal... This rumour feels unlikely, but, hey, it's something I suppose.

Also, we've got a Tokyo Game Show schedule and Level-5 has a two-hour panel called the "Level-5 Special Meeting." They've already said they'll be showing off Megaton Musashi, Ni no Kuni: Cross Worlds, and Yo-kai Watch Jam: Yo-kai Academy Y – Waiwai Gakuen Seikatsu; however, maybe we'll get something Layton-y? It feels like two hours is a long time to cover a mobile game, the robot game, and an already-released-in-Japan Yo-kai watch game...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh gosh, I completely forgot about the TGS, kinda surprised that one will still be going on despite many other events being cancelled this year due to COVID-19 and all. Though I suppose that's why its opting to go online.

Also surprised Level-5 is actually attending this time, when was the last time they did any official announcements or Level-5 Vision event?

Anyway, its good to see them getting actively involved with the games industry again. I didn't know they will be doing things for 2 hours, hopefully they will make some new announcements asides from what's already out there. And hopefully something Layton related shows up too....

Though thinking about it, calling it "Level-5 Special Meeting" may also potentially involve them addressing their long silence and the company's status during that time, maybe, probably not...

Anyway, will be looking forward to see what they've got in store.

amageish

Smash Master
Oh gosh, I completely forgot about the TGS, kinda surprised that one will still be going on despite many other events being cancelled this year due to COVID-19 and all. Though I suppose that's why its opting to go online.

Also surprised Level-5 is actually attending this time, when was the last time they did any official announcements or Level-5 Vision event?

Anyway, its good to see them getting actively involved with the games industry again. I didn't know they will be doing things for 2 hours, hopefully they will make some new announcements asides from what's already out there. And hopefully something Layton related shows up too....

Though thinking about it, calling it "Level-5 Special Meeting" may also potentially involve them addressing their long silence and the company's status during that time, maybe, probably not...

Anyway, will be looking forward to see what they've got in store.
I suppose Japanese companies haven't had as many chances to do streams as pat of the E3-alikes throughout this summer? A lot of the streams do seem to focus on Japanese localizations (ex/ Spike Chunsoft is showing off their localization of Cyberpunk 2077)...

Um... Er... Was Lady Layton's original reveal TGS? I think? That's all that comes to mind...

Definitely hoping this addresses their absense and sets course to the future - even if they don't explicitly announce anything, then it'd at least be good to know what kinds of development they're prioritizing and general behind-the-scenes going-ons... Something Layton-related would be amazing, so here's hoping we do get that. It does seem like the stream has an English version, which is unique as far as I have seen, so maybe we'll get a Mystery Journey anime localization announced as part of English news? Maybe? Idk... Definitely worth looking forward to regardless.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose Japanese companies haven't had as many chances to do streams as pat of the E3-alikes throughout this summer? A lot of the streams do seem to focus on Japanese localizations (ex/ Spike Chunsoft is showing off their localization of Cyberpunk 2077)...

Um... Er... Was Lady Layton's original reveal TGS? I think? That's all that comes to mind...

Definitely hoping this addresses their absense and sets course to the future - even if they don't explicitly announce anything, then it'd at least be good to know what kinds of development they're prioritizing and general behind-the-scenes going-ons... Something Layton-related would be amazing, so here's hoping we do get that. It does seem like the stream has an English version, which is unique as far as I have seen, so maybe we'll get a Mystery Journey anime localization announced as part of English news? Maybe? Idk... Definitely worth looking forward to regardless.
Perhaps yes, most events that where cancelled where mostly western events if I recall...

LMJ was revealed at a Level-5 Vision, though Azran Legacy was revealed at the TGS, or at least, was brought up there I think..
Miracle Mask was also at a Level-5 Vision, seems to vary from time to time. I suppose if we're not getting a Level-5 Vision later this year, then they might reveal the next instalment at this TGS, (assuming there is one...) hopefully they will at least address the future of the series, if anything...

That is interesting, though it may just be them trying to include overseas viewers into their streams, but I suppose some global announcements would be nice too.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Definitely. Project plans obviously do leak sometimes, but they're less likely to leak then one single character being revealed a few days before their official reveal... This rumour feels unlikely, but, hey, it's something I suppose.

Also, we've got a Tokyo Game Show schedule and Level-5 has a two-hour panel called the "Level-5 Special Meeting." They've already said they'll be showing off Megaton Musashi, Ni no Kuni: Cross Worlds, and Yo-kai Watch Jam: Yo-kai Academy Y – Waiwai Gakuen Seikatsu; however, maybe we'll get something Layton-y? It feels like two hours is a long time to cover a mobile game, the robot game, and an already-released-in-Japan Yo-kai watch game...

something to look forward too

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Curious Villager Curious Villager Yeah I'm still here ! :D Mmm I don't remember seeing such a thread in February... I can't find the thread anymore so I think the picture is probably a montage. I wish it was true though, 2B and Phoenix are my most wanted characters with Layton and Amaterasu. :/
The thread was apparently deleted by mods with the user banned so I suppose that's all we'll get from it. It is most likely fake though but it would be cool to see those characters join, yeah.
Nice to know you're still around though, bud, thank you for your input!

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Perhaps yes, most events that where cancelled where mostly western events if I recall...

LMJ was revealed at a Level-5 Vision, though Azran Legacy was revealed at the TGS, or at least, was brought up there I think..
Miracle Mask was also at a Level-5 Vision, seems to vary from time to time. I suppose if we're not getting a Level-5 Vision later this year, then they might reveal the next instalment at this TGS, (assuming there is one...) hopefully they will at least address the future of the series, if anything...

That is interesting, though it may just be them trying to include overseas viewers into their streams, but I suppose some global announcements would be nice too.
True and the digital events people have been hosting to replace stuff like E3 have all been pretty western-focused as well...

Ahhhh, whoops. Well, that makes sense... This stream being two hours long makes me feel like a second Level-5 stream in 2020 is kind of unlikely? This is already an abnormal amount of communication for the company lol.

Idk how likely it is, but it does surprise me they bothered to do anything in English. I guess it could justify the presence of a game out already in Japan though...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

True and the digital events people have been hosting to replace stuff like E3 have all been pretty western-focused as well...

Ahhhh, whoops. Well, that makes sense... This stream being two hours long makes me feel like a second Level-5 stream in 2020 is kind of unlikely? This is already an abnormal amount of communication for the company lol.

Idk how likely it is, but it does surprise me they bothered to do anything in English. I guess it could justify the presence of a game out already in Japan though...
Most of those Western events have been reported on and sometimes had direct involvement by Geoff Keighley, because of course.

Meanwhile, Sega still hasn't figured out how to get their SXSW news across. If TGS can't do the trick, what will?

amageish

Smash Master
Hey, it's Layton's day on Rate their Chances. Just letting you know in case you want to give your two cents, if anyone can sell people on Layton, it's obviously you guys!
Chances have been rated!

Most of those Western events have been reported on and sometimes had direct involvement by Geoff Keighley, because of course.

Meanwhile, Sega still hasn't figured out how to get their SXSW news across. If TGS can't do the trick, what will?
Keighley sure does turn up wherever news is to be had, yeah...

I am very surprised SEGA and ATLUS are sharing a 50-minute slot when there is Sonic news sitting on the table... ATLUS usually has multiple hours of TGS content by themselves, so that'll be a weird panel to see.

Top Bottom