• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Last-Minute" Characters

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
If I can choose ANY character it would have to be Morgan Freeman.

He would have the power to guess 7 fingers on a single hand and has connections with Batman.

Reader

Smash Apprentice
Last minute character's have always been clones (Wolf, Toon link etc.) or returning characters (Jigglypuff). However, I don't think that we will get any last minute clone characters from Mario or Pokemon series, since they already have a huge representation. Characters that are in danger to become cut due to time constraints (Lucas?, Wolf?) or new semi-clone characters (New pikmin rep?) could be the last minute additions. Some characters, like Dry Bowser or Dark Pit could work as alternative costumes.

Edit: I forgot, Toon Link was already confirmed.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Last minute character's have always been clones (Wolf, Toon link etc.) or returning characters (Jigglypuff). However, I don't think that we will get any last minute clone characters from Mario or Pokemon series, since they already have a huge representation. Characters that are in danger to become cut due to time constraints (Lucas?, Wolf?) or new semi-clone characters (New pikmin rep?) could be the last minute additions. Some characters, like Dry Bowser or Dark Pit could work as alternative costumes.
>Wolf
>Clone
cruCIFIED.png

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
This b*tch:

From Hyrule Warriors.

Last edited:

Reader

Smash Apprentice
What does "Semi-clone" even mean in your context? Are all characters that punch and kick "semi-clones" of one another too?
In my books semi-clone means that someone's moveset is based on other character's moveset. Fox and Wolf have different, yet similar moveset with different properties, but in my opinion Wolf's fighting style is based on Fox. Even Toon Link is in my opinion more like a semi clone of Link than clone, since they have so different attributes and play styles.

Poots

Smash Journeyman
I think that any "last minute" characters will be saved for dlc this time around.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Semi clones and veterans, so Lucas, Wolf, Bowser Jr., Dixie Kong, and Impa all come to mind.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
So boring. Never going to happen
Good thing totally interesting characters like R.O.B and Captain Falcon are already in Smash. At least they are real fighters unlike this strange wizard girl killing enemy cohorts with one spell. ( ͡ʘ ͜ʖ ͡ʘ)

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Okay, considering the fact that the entire roster is now complete, I seriously doubt that we'll be getting any "last minute" additions other than the occasional alternate skins. With that said, what about characters that could wind up being the last characters to be tweaked and debugged? The only character off the top of my head that has taken a notoriously long time to work on was Ice Climbers, which means that if we do not get official confirmation on them soon, then it'd be a safe bet that they'll be demoted to unlockable status. Whether or not that will make them "secret characters" (as in, similar placement to Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf in Brawl) remains to be seen. Other veterans that in some capacity or another fit this description include Meta Knight, Ganondorf (if one is assuming that he will be given his own moveset), and Mr. Game & Watch.

Actually, while it does make sense for semi-clone characters to be given lower priority over others, the fact that we got Toon Link so early on does come across as rather striking. We could very well see other semi-clone characters (most likely of which being Falco, methinks) confirmed early on. Captain Falcon could also potentially be revealed before launch.

As for last minute newcomers? That's a lot harder to properly guess. But there are only four full newcomers and one Melee veteran that could very well fill this void (leaks notwithstanding): Chrom, Chorus Kids, Ridley, Shulk, and Mewtwo. While Chrom could have wound up being incredibly low priority, whatever functions the Chorus Kids may have regarding gameplay is likely to be complex enough to wind up being finished last. Same could also potentially be said for Ridley and Shulk but for different reasons (I don't believe that we will be getting any other characters outside of these five). Mewtwo could bounce either way too, of course.

Now, I haven't the faintest idea what characters will wind up being the last ones to be finished (but I do know there won't be any "last minute additions"). But the question remains, who I want to see as the final unlockable characters? Going into that territory, just because I want to be right: Captain Falcon, Mewtwo, Meta Knight, and Shulk. For what reason? So that each one would represent their debut appearances in Smash, of course, and these four ARE the most hyped characters both veterans and newcomers alike anyways. What better way to end the character reveals than with the four most anticipated of the bunch?

Don't go into speculation territory, people.
Kind of hard not to speculate on a topic about "last minute additions," especially given that many people, myself included, actually finds a bit of fun doing so. Yes, the idea is to simply guess the last minute additions, but others, myself included, don't find much fun in just throwing in random Nintendo IPs without much rhyme or reason. It's by trying to process through reasons that we by essence, eliminate candidates for "last minute additions" via process of elimination. For example, while it is possible for both Ness and Lucas to return, I consider it more likely for just Ness to come back than for them both (but if both do come back, one of them might wind up being low priority).

Now, dragging leaks or rumors into this, I can understand. But not all of us are that big on just randomly guessing Inkling from Splatoon (which, while a great choice for a newcomer, just wouldn't be possible prior to Smash 5 unless we do indeed get character DLC), or Nana, or some other out there newcomer. I can at least speak for myself that I at least find deductive reasoning behind the question this thread provides to be a bit of fun.

Mark Helsing

Smash Rookie
Lana and all other new characters in Hyrule Warriors will likely be co-owned by Tecmo Koei, just like how Square Enix owns half of Geno and Mallow. They would have to license her if they wanted to add her, which would make her a fourth third party character, and I doubt she would have priority over, say, Bomberman. So please, if you want to talk about Lana, let's talk about the TRUE Nintendo Lana.

As for last minute characters, I'm hoping that with the development time this game had that they won't have to resort to putting characters together last second.

D

Deleted member 245254

Agreed, the topic is basically comprised of a speculative inquiry...how the hell do you expect people not to speculate? Chill the reigns...

CheapMovieMonster

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryLink17
3DS FC
1891-1579-9718
Honestly, I don't know why people want Lana del rey in smash in the first place, she's not even a person who would make a good fighter so that would be as ridiculous as adding in Soulja boy. You may now groan in annoyance.

But seriously, I guess it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for Lana to make it into smash, considering how they put Roy in melee to attract attention towards his game at the time, but It would feel kind of...wrong for all of the wanted veterans to not make their returns first rather than more new characters being announced that don't exactly have a particular reason for needing to be in smash at the moment.

Last edited:
There are a few characters who can be added at the last minute assets from other characters.

Dark Pit

Plusle & Minun as semi-clones of Pikachu with Ice Climber style team up has always fascinated me. Give them a new Down B like Charge and we have a pretty unique character.

Any of the space furries, since we've all pretty much accepted them to be somewhat reminiscent of one another. Leon as a Wolf clone would be the most interesting and make the most sense, since, if I'm not mistaken, Leon is to Wolf as Falco is to Fox. Though a Pigma with hints of Aparoid possession would make an amazing character, clone or not.

Dixie as a semi-clone of Diddy

Louie as a Olimar clone

I know the idea of having Bowser Jr. with a Shadow Mario transformation has faded for a lot of reasons, if they added Bowser Jr. they could throw in Shadow Mario at the last minute, saying that he brought his Shadow Mario disguise as well.

Big sword Impa from Hyrule Warriors could have a bizzare simi-clone combination moveset of Ike and Shiek. ...It could work...somehow

I honestly have no problems with last minute semi-clone characters like these. I used to , but now I like the idea of them. Done right they give us the opportunity to have as many characters as we can even if they do play similarly.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Black Shadow - Captain Falcon/ Ganondorf semi-clone.
Giygas - Mewtwo semi-clone

..dare I say.... Impa - Sheik semi-clone?

Last edited:

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
There is no reason any of the guesses yall are saying would be last-minute. People are under the misunderstanding that Jigglypuff, Wolf, and Toon Link were last minute decisions. They were not; they were just put in late in developement. It wasn't suddenly decided they would be put in, they were just low in priority.

Lana and Inkling at least make sense because their creation was announced late in development. Lana still would have a chance even if the game was older, though. Inklings deserve a shot, but that's about it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Indeed, the likes of Toon Link, Wolf and Jigglypuff as well as the "Forbidden Seven" where all initially planned for Brawl, but they where just on a lower priority compared to most of the rest of the cast. Mainly because most of them where quick and easy to develop or in the case of Jigglypuff and Mewtwo, newcomers from the same series where of higher priority.

With that said, I think Sakurai could have saved up a couple of lower priority characters again, if not they would probably be saved up for DLC if they didn't manage to make it in by the initial release and assuming they are planning to do DLC for the games. At least that's how I see it. :/

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Honestly, I don't know why people want Lana del rey in smash in the first place, she's not even a person who would make a good fighter so that would be as ridiculous as adding in Soulja boy. You may now groan in annoyance.

But seriously, I guess it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for Lana to make it into smash, considering how they put Roy in melee to attract attention towards his game at the time, but It would feel kind of...wrong for all of the wanted veterans to not make their returns first rather than more new characters being announced that don't exactly have a particular reason for needing to be in smash at the moment.
>implying Soulja boy wouldn't be amazing to play as with his "Turn my Swag on" Final Smash...

Top Bottom