• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Last Ditched Effort to save Mommy: Metroid Hatchling swoops in to DLC!

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Let's be honest here, after the treatment of both Ridley and Dark Samus, the Metroid series is pretty scrapped for new reps. Besides the the behemoth Kraid, the far fetched Hunters and, god forbid, Anthony, there are not many key characters left from the series to join the battle. BUT....what if the Baby (Metroid Hatchling) could serve as our new representative for the series alongside its surrogate mother, Samus Aran?

BUT WHY THE HATCHLING?

As far-fetched as this might seem, Baby is not only an important part of Samus' history, but also a key player in Super Metroid, which I will highlight in it's bio.

BIO (taken from the Metroid Wiki: http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Baby)
"Samus dropped the larva off at Ceres Space Colony, where it was to be examined by Federation scientists. Shortly after she departed, the colony fell victim to a Space Pirate raid, led by Ridley. Samus encountered a distress signal, and arrived in time to see Ridley depart, holding the baby in its capsule. Though she tried to kill him, she failed and Ridley fled the station after programming it to explode. Both Samus and Ridley escaped in time to avoid the destruction of the station.

Samus pursued her enemy to the rebuilt base on Zebes, where she destroyed everything in her path in search of the hatchling. Some time after, she found Ridley and killed him, however, the capsule that had encased the infant was found broken, with the baby nowhere to be found. During her struggles on Zebes, the Pirates in Tourian used beta-radiation to make it multiply, much like their original operations in Metroid. They also used an unknown technology that created unsuccessful clones from it, known as Mochtroids, which were placed in Maridia.

In Tourian, Samus found dried husks of a Torizo and some Zoomers, Rippers, and Skrees in two of the later rooms. She then watched as a Blue Sidehopper met the same fate at the hands of a Big Metroid. It then turned on Samus, siphoning her health to within an inch of her life before finally recognizing its victim as its "mother" when her suit's low-energy alarm sounded. After a few shrieks reminiscent of its squeaks while it was still an infant, the baby fled the room in shame, leaving Samus behind, who realized that it was the baby. Samus continued on through the base to fight Mother Brain, who transformed into an enormous cyborg monster, firing her Laser Brain Attack at Samus until she could no longer move. As the biomechanical menace prepared the final blast, the baby darted in and latched onto Samus's attacker, siphoning her energy to the point where Mother Brain was a brittle husk. Leaving it behind, the enormous Metroid displayed a previously unknown ability and began transferring the recently drained energy into Samus, healing her. This was the ability that had potential for the good of mankind, mentioned by Samus in the game's introduction.

However, Mother Brain was still alive. Somehow recovering quickly, she rose in a vengeful fury, firing upon the baby as it gave its life-energy to save the one being that cared for it. After fully healing Samus, the baby turned its attention back to Mother Brain; however, it had been badly injured by the pounding it had taken earlier, noticeable in the decrease in the vibrancy of its colouring. The baby rushed at Mother Brain to drain her energy once again, only for Mother Brain to shoot it down, finishing off the Baby. As Samus stood to re-enter the battle, she witnessed the baby, the last natural Metroid from SR388, let out one final chirp and explode into many particles over her, falling over her like snow. As she mourned the baby, she discovered it had left her with one final gift - Mother Brain's ultimate weapon, the Hyperbeam. Enraged, and holding nothing back, Samus unleashed the Hyper Beam on Mother Brain, laying waste to the Space Pirate operations once and for all and avenging her fallen "child". She then escaped from Planet Zebes after Mother Brain's final destruction triggered a planet-wide self-destruct sequence. Samus escaped, falling into depression over the baby's demise."

As you can see, Baby played a major role in shaping Samus into who she is today. Though it would be challenging, I believe the Baby is another viable candidate for representing Metroid in Smash. That being said there are some pros and cons to this:

+Unexpected playable rep
+Unique (yet simple) play style
+Special history and connection to Samus
-Non-humanoid shape could be troublesome in terms of hitboxes and animations
-Not first choice (Ridley and Dark Samus being much more suited to battle)
-A generic Metroid is already an Assist Trophy

MOVESET

Stats:
Weight - 70
Fall speed - 0.009
Jumps - 3 (floaty)
Jump height - average
Run Speed - near Mewtwo's
Walk Speed - near Mewtwo's
Air mobility - high
Recovery - 10/10
Attack Spd - 5/10
Attack Pwr - 6/10
Ground Combat - 2/10
Aerial Combat - 7/10

Moves:
Entrance: breaks out of capsule with iconic cry

Walk: slow hover

Run: faster, slightly wavy hover

Jump: floats higher

Jab Combo: small headbutt, followed by forward chewing attack with its teeth

F-Tilt: low swooping, ramming headbutt

F-Smash: winds up and then rams forward with full force (long windup)

D-Tilt: nibbles at foes with teeth, multiple hits

D-Smash: slams onto foe with sharp teeth into the ground

U-Tilt: shocks foes with energy from its head

U-Smash: shoots upward with an energy charged headbutt

N-Air: shakes in place while producing a full body energy shock

F-Air: attacks with a strong forward bite using its teeth

B-Air: attacks with a quick bite behind itself

D-Air: sharp strike with its teeth downward, meteor spike

U-Air: upward, spinning headbutt

Grab attack: chews on enemy

F-throw: carries them forward before hurling them away

B-throw: swings and hurls them backward

U-throw: carries foes upward before harshly dropping them

D-throw: shocks them with energy before grinding them into the ground

:GCB: Leech: lunges forward at a nearby enemy and latches onto them, sucking their energy and lowering their own % while increasing the enemies'. Gains up to 3 Energy Charges to use with other Specials for after attacking with Leech 3 separate times, denoted by the three sphere inside of its body glowing for each charge.

:GCB::GCU: Swoop: Baby winds up an flies in a curved motion either Up, Left, or Right, while charged with energy for on contact damage. (Uses a charge for additional damage)

:GCL::GCB::GCR: Mutate: Using two energy charges, Baby grows to a larger size to deal more damage with its other attacks, and rams forward if S-Special is used while mutated. If no charges are held, a pathetic ramming attack is used instead.

:GCB::GCD: Energy Resistance: Using all three energy charges, Baby gains high resistance to knockback, damage reduction, and slight super armor for a tiny duration, but has a long charging time. No charges results in Baby letting out a sad shriek.

FINAL SMASH: Maximum MutationGrowing to the massive size it had during the battle with Mother Brain, Baby attacks and leeches health off of as many players as possible before using powerful bites and energy bursts to send them off the stage.

Colors:
1. Default
2. Red shaded membrane
3. Blue shaded membrane
4. Green shaded membrane
5. Phazon Blue Membrane (Metroid Prime)
6. Bright Neon Green (Super Metroid)

So, what do you think? Should the Baby swoop in and join its "mother" in combat, or remain on the sidelines? Is this just another far cry for a new Metroid rep? I'll leave that up to you!
Share your support below!

Supporters:
1.PrinceGal3n (Original Thread Creator)
2.fed0ra7
3.MorbidAltruism
4.SvartWolf
5.KingShadow

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Don't you think it's a little late to start getting support for a character in the ballot?

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Really?
Really.

We're doing this?

...I support, because this would be hilarious, but I'd rather have Anthony.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
It would confuse all of the parents who believe that Samus is named Metroid. It might be as catastrophic as the time those people realized that Link is not named Zelda. I am not usually an advocate of such chaos, but at the same time, I am fairly desperate for a Metroid character.

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Don't you think it's a little late to start getting support for a character in the ballot?
I realize that, but at the same time, I thought this possibility would be kinda fun regardless. I also feel the same as MorbidAltruism, very very desperate for a Metroid Rep. What are your thoughts on the moveset? That was actually kinda interesting to come up with.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Do... Do we really have a baby metroid character thread with a moveset that doesn't include it abbility to go SKREEEEE

Really? for shame.

(I would love this character as a free joke character that is by design underpowered and the team won't need to balance, ever :D)

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Do... Do we really have a baby metroid character thread with a moveset that doesn't include it abbility to go SKREEEEE

Really? for shame.

(I would love this character as a free joke character that is by design underpowered and the team won't need to balance, ever :D)
The taunts are still open so SKREEE could most definitely be one! :)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Perhaps a little too desperate for a Metroid character...

As far as Metroid is concerned, it's either Ridley or Dark Samus, (both of which have their own problems unfortunately)....and depending on how the future pans out, Sylux, but that'll be for the next Smash whenever that may be...

Other characters just don't really stand up to the main antagonist of the franchise and one who would represent the Prime Trilogy...The other hunters are very minor overall (as of now this includes Sylux, as well as Rundas, the others are even more irrelevant) and some characters may stir a lot more negativity than anything (Anthony Higgs, Adam Malkovich), and those that remain are a little too unorthodox because of their key attributes (Kraid, Mother Brain, and the Baby Metroid)

As much as I love the franchise and think it deserves some better recognition in smash...I don't see anything coming outside of a surprise DLC stage (Phendrana plz)...Metroid is SOL in this game as much as I hate to admit it...

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
This is how far we've come in our desperation for something from Metroid.

Rundas, Sylux. Yeah sure, I can get behind them.

Anthony, Adam. I'd rather not remember Other M exists, and I don't like these guys at all.

And now we've come down to Mini Kraid (which I would actually want) and Baby Metroid.

WE'RE STARVING HERE SAKURAI

But at this point, all the people I listed above are all of us just wanting something in place of Ridley, who honestly would round out and complete Smash representation in terms of characters. MAYBE Dark Samus if only to be an ode to the excellent Prime series. Honestly in terms of Metroid I can see it as "Ridley or no one" and Sakurai doesn't want to make Ridley work.

A new stage would be nice.

Phendrana Drifts, served with a side of Prime soundtrack and a glass of nostalgia on the rocks, please and thank you.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Not THE BABY!! i had enough of that.

A new stage would be nice.

Phendrana Drifts, served with a side of Prime soundtrack and a glass of nostalgia on the rocks, please and thank you.
This. Give me anything, as long as it does not have anything to do with lava, music from NES Metroid or any content the unspeakable game, but sadly it's what SSB4 is full with.

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Generally speaking, I'm a pretty optimistic kinda guy, but the entire situation with Smash and Metroid representation is pretty grim. The series has been poorly represented with playable reps and it seems to be a continued trend. As it stands now, it all depends on if a new Metroid game comes out, (or if Sakurai has a change of heart, which, even though he took back his word on the Villager, I doubt he would on Ridley as much as I hate to say that.) The Baby is far from my first choice, with it being Ridley, Dark Samus, Mini Kraid/Mother Brain, and THEN the Baby. So either Sakurai hates the Metroid series or he is simply doesn't give a hoot about it unless it has a new title on the way. BUT, I will always try to remain optimistic, its just what I do.

Top Bottom