• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lasers on floaties

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
My scene does not have many puff mains, so the only experience I have with falco is fighting characters like fox, SHIEK and marf.
However, my friend recently picked up Jiggs and bodied me. I had no idea how to counteract his air game because I had no experience against a Jiggs. My question is that can lasers help greatly against puff? Or any other tool?

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
one thing I know for certain, puff has a really small hurtbox when she crouches, so you need to pick your laser timing appropriately. After that, you're going to want to try to make sure you are also aware of when her back is to you in the air, because of her exceptional bair length. I don't know the MU too far in depth from experience, but when I play it, I treat puff like a luigi that has more jumps and better stalling. Respect the air space, but punish an aerial that I bait from them with bair, or nair/drill shine pressure. Her OoS options are pretty much either grab, or roll if you are efficiently pressuring her. So just watch each situation whenever you are on the ground and attacking. crossing up the sheil usually helps cause she can really only roll or attempt to bair OoS.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
My scene does not have many puff mains, so the only experience I have with falco is fighting characters like fox, SHIEK and marf.
However, my friend recently picked up Jiggs and bodied me. I had no idea how to counteract his air game because I had no experience against a Jiggs. My question is that can lasers help greatly against puff? Or any other tool?
Lasers turn her around so make sure she is facing towards u. Then uptilt will effectively stuff everything she has. Down tilt is one of your best kill options. Don't go off stage willingly.

Should also mention this has been written about extensively in the falco discussion thread by PP and other top falcos. Boneso made a good post about it as recently as December in that thread. Maybe browse through it to find better answers as the better players more frequently respond there.

Last edited:

pipN

Smash Rookie
While this is an old match and the audio quality is pretty bad, I really like this set between PPMD and Hungrybox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3swO43fiZE. It shows how Falco can control Puff with constant pressure with lasers, dairs, shines, and grabs, while also walling out Puff with up-tilts and bairs. Just watching it greatly improved my game against Puff without any other practice.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
The biggest idea with lasers vs Peach and Puff is honestly just to annoy the crap out of them. They can generally kill you pretty easily off of one read or getting you offstage one time, so you've gotta be careful. Keep at least a third of the stage most of the time, and just stuff their approach options and everything you can with lasers. When they start approaching, AC bair and utilt are great tools. I don't advocate for approaching in the Puff MU, but it can be okay in the Peach MU. The biggest thing is to land your first few stray hits and then just start capitalizing on everything you can.

EDIT: The stray hits I mentioned will need to be less numerous as you land more and more lasers because free damage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom