• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Laser Blazers: Eight Experts Weigh In On Mii Gunner

With the rulesets for Smash 4 at Evo being decided soon and Mii Fighters as one of the top discussion points, we're taking this week to learn a lot more about these characters and the people who play them. Welcome to #MiiWiik! Since the game's release, Mii Gunner has floated around in the rankings, with some considering her a high mid tier and others placing her near the bottom. She is currently ranked 5th from the bottom on the Smash 4 tier list in her 1-1-1-1 incarnation. Is there more to Mii Gunner than meets the eye? We brought in eight Mii Gunner experts to find out!

ThatLaggyAustralian, Protom, Sevenator, Skailler, AEMehr, GS3K, Djmarkus44, and Clash Tournament's own Chibo all came together to share their knowledge and expertise on the character. Load up as we see if Mii Gunner can blast through the tier lists in Smash 4.

Disadvantages

So where do the issues for Mii Gunner begin? ThatLaggyAustralian believed a strong part of the issues were her available movepool. Skailler also mentioned how issues could be brought up by the movesets available: "For Mii Gunner, I believe her weaknesses come from her inconsistent kill options and recovery (when it comes to 1111 at least)."

A lack of kill options was brought up by other experts as well. "Mii Gunner's moves all have their use in their own way, but only few of them are suited for killing an opponent," Sevenator told us. "Her smash attacks are all decently strong but unfortunately all of them are multihit moves. This makes it very easy for the opponent to eventually just fall out of the smash attack while it is still active."

Protom explained more on why the lack of kill options doesn't stem from a lack of killing moves themselves: "Gunner does in fact have many seemingly great kill moves in that of her smash attacks, up and down tilt, uair, bair, specials, etc. The issue is most of these require Gunner to get up close and personal with the opponent, and pull off some read of sorts to land. Because of this issue of finding ways to kill on stage, Gunner wants to instead usually get her opponent off stage, or at the ledge, where Gunner thrives."

This leads into another problem for Mii Gunner, a weak game once the opponent breaks into her zone. "Gunner can not deal with pressure very well, and really thrives off of having space to control the opponent’s movement while limiting their options," Chibo told us. "Once a character starts to penetrate that wall often enough, Gunner’s gameplay suffers." Chibo went on to explain how this can compile with characters that have good options against projectiles to cause issues: "Characters that also deal with projectiles very well (through reflect and Rosalina’s Down B) cause a HUGE issue for Gunner."

Advantages

Despite her disadvantages, Mii Gunner does have many strengths. "Mii Gunner's greatest strength is her top tier neutral," Djmarkus44 told us. "Gunner's F-air is a long ranged and safe poking projectile (it is safe on perfect shielding, and it only has 12 frames of landing lag) that also gives Gunner great burst mobility and decent mobility overall in the form of Gundashing." Skailler agreed that her neutral was powerful, adding: "Grenades and Bombs on their own are already useful to cover the floor/platforms with, and in unison they fit each other perfectly. Missiles are also very potent walling tools and also allow to switch to the offense effectively, and that's obviously a good thing. Gunners neutral game is plain out awesome"

Protom gave us in-depth knowledge on how Mii Gunner has incredible edgeguarding potential: "Gunner thrives most when the opponent is offstage. Fair is a quick poke and “get back off-stage” vs characters who are trying to recover onstage horizontally. Most of her tilts and smashes can hit and kill characters hanging on with no ledge invulnerability. Dropping down off stage with an up air intercepts most horizontal and diagonal recoveries as well. Grenades, bombs and missiles all do a great job of covering recoveries and the ledge itself. Lastly, the up special 2 spike hitbox is Godlike, and completely obliterates all non sweet spotted recoveries."

Relevant Matchups

The experts all agreed that among the worst matchups for the character came from Fox, Mario, and Rosalina, with Sheik being unsurprisingly difficult as well. "Gunner struggles terribly against Rosalina, and it’s a pretty simple pick up and counter matchup that gives them a lot of trouble," Chibo told us. GS3K agreed, adding: "[Rosalina] is an uphill battle because you can't rely on projectiles too much against her."

The issues are similar with Fox and Mario as well, as Protom explained: "The two are both characters with plenty of speed, mobility and ways to get around Gunner's projectiles, and have up close games that easily beat out Gunner when it comes to close quarter footsies. Both also get a lot off a grab, something Gunner can’t do much about besides try to air dodge, due to lacking a quick aerial (outside of frame 3 shine). This goes for any character with a good combo grab. Lastly, to boot, both have a reflector, which is an annoyance to deal with for any projectile user."

For positive top tier matchups, Mii Gunner has moments where she can really shine. "Approaching Gunner without a reflector or projectile is no cake walk," Protom explained. "Gunner's best MU’s amongst high tiers are Luigi, Captain Falcon, and to some extent Sonic. All 3 rely on finding their way into approaching their opponents. Both Luigi and Falcon are also easy gimping targets for Gunner’s arsenal."

AEMehr summed it up nicely: "Basically, you're always ranged from your opponent. So unless your opponent can out spam you (Sheik's needles) or reflect your projectiles back at you (Mario's Cape) you should be good if you keep your distance."

Is Mii Gunner Viable?

Several of the experts expressed that Mii Gunner's biggest strength came from being a powerful counterpick character. "I doubt the character can keep up as a solo main, but not many characters can," Chibo said. "Gunner can be a great secondary along with other characters as a play style and character counterpick." Sevenator agreed, adding: "Mii Gunner is probably the best when you have another character you can play at the same level. His playstyle is very different from other characters, which can turn him into a threat to your opponent, if he is not used to it."

Some were more optomistic. "Gunner has shown some promise at the national level, with Wii Twerk Trainer getting 25th at EVO using Gunner as a secondary, and ROM tying for 9th in Wombo Wednesday at Smash@SCU (it was a 129 man tournament, but it had top level players such as Komorikiri, Ranai, 9B, and Ally)," Djmarkus44 explained. "ROM has also placed in the top 32 in some of Japan's biggest tournaments."

Another large thing to consider in their viability is access to their entire moveset. "Their viability also depends vastly on whether or not Miis may use their Mii Specials," Skailler said. "With their 1111 movesets however, they lose some of their best options and a lot of their viability." GS3K also mentioned how their size could be a factor: "On the conditions of having any size/moveset combination, I think Gunner is viable at the national level. Gunner's viability takes a hit if stuck in guest size, since MUs against the top tiers become more uphill."

ROM vs Nitro

A special thank you to all the Mii Gunner experts for sharing their expertise for this article. To learn more about Mii Gunner, be sure to visit the Mii Gunner forums right here on Smashboards. Learn something exciting about Mii Gunner? Tell us in the comments below and stay tuned for the rest of #MiiWiik here on Smashboards!

Comments

first Five experts on Mii Swords and now Eight for Mii Gunner's sake? considering everyone else usually had three or four at best, I get the impression this many people to provide feedback is so the ignorant majority actually takes any notice...

even then, that's iffy at best...

the fact that we can allow DLC characters into tournaments and not allow the full mii's moveset still baffles me. the 1111 restriction is there because no one plays them enough, and no one plays them enough because of the 1111 restriction. it's a vicious circle that's hard to break unless we can all agree that they should be allowed. even with all their moves, they don't break the game at all.

I personally believe that all moves should be allowed, as long as the height and weight remain the same. sure, they get better when shorter, but keeping those stats the same means that the mii meta will be able to remain consistent. not only that, but not everyone will have a mii in their system with the exact height and weight that the player has on their private system, and making a mii will take time from the tournament, unlike picking one of the defaults.

Last edited:
Logically the next one has to be 11 experts weigh in on Mii Brawler. :p

Been loving these articles by the way, I love all 3 of the Mii's playstyles and have a lot of fun messing around with them in friendlies. You wouldn't believe how many johns I've heard from beating people with Miis though...

The mii fighters are seemingly underpowered as far as tiers and kill moves go along with many other properties they have.

Honestly, I don't see the problem with Mii's and their custom move sets. They definitely don't break the game, so the only thing I can think of is that TO's aren't ready to deal with people taking a Millenia to make a custom Mii, which to some extent makes sense.

Honestly, I don't see the problem with Mii's and their custom move sets. They definitely don't break the game, so the only thing I can think of is that TO's aren't ready to deal with people taking a Millenia to make a custom Mii, which to some extent makes sense.
It has been shown that creating mii take less time than creating your unique nametag, customize your controls and get your hand warmers.

Last edited:
It really annoys me how people say that characters like Mii gunner sucks only because they're low tier. They act like these characters have no potential at all. Sure they do suck but they still have potential. In fact they might become high tier some day (probably won't, but there only has been 1 confirmed tier list for SSB4 so of course it's going to be updated when they release the 2nd one.)

I don't even care about the Mii debate (our region allows Miis full access to moves and yet practically no one uses them), but my main issue is towards one of your so-called "experts". ThatLaggyAustralian has never attended a single tournament and his main claim to fame is **** posting on our Australian Smash forums, hardly making him a credible source.

Fox and Mario as well, as Protom explained: "The two are both characters with plenty of speed, mobility and ways to get around Gunner's projectiles, and have up close games that easily beat out Gunner when it comes to close quarter footsies. Both also get a lot off a grab,
Sorry fam but Fox gets next to nothing off grab besides RAR bair at certain low % ranges. Fox loses pretty hard to shield and it's generally a strong counterplay to him. Otherwise great job ;)

LiteralGrill LiteralGrill , great article. I am glad that you used some of my quotes (even though you misspelled my username).

This is most likely referring to Umebura Genesis Cup. That tournament only had 80 entrants.
I was also referring to the SHI-G tournament, but it seems that tournament also had 80 people. I thought that these tournaments might have had pools, but I am honestly not sure.

It really annoys me how people say that characters like Mii gunner sucks only because they're low tier. They act like these characters have no potential at all. Sure they do suck but they still have potential. In fact they might become high tier some day (probably won't, but there only has been 1 confirmed tier list for SSB4 so of course it's going to be updated when they release the 2nd one.)
I feel your pain. This circular reasoning combined with the lack of experience players have against Gunner makes it nearly impossible to discuss Gunner matchups.

Logically the next one has to be 11 experts weigh in on Mii Brawler. :p

Been loving these articles by the way, I love all 3 of the Mii's playstyles and have a lot of fun messing around with them in friendlies. You wouldn't believe how many johns I've heard from beating people with Miis though...
I laugh inside when people call Gunner "cop" or overpowered when I win against them a few times.

first Five experts on Mii Swords and now Eight for Mii Gunner's sake? considering everyone else usually had three or four at best, I get the impression this many people to provide feedback is so the ignorant majority actually takes any notice...

even then, that's iffy at best...
Something like that. Honestly, I was also surprised that there were so many people sharing knowledge about Gunner. This is a pretty good step to get rid of the large amount of misinformation about Gunner (even the Smashwiki has a fair share of incorrect statements about Gunner).

Last edited:
Mii gunners edge guard game is amazing.
I use the fire pillar, bomb drop, and grenade and all are useful on providing off stage pressure from a safe distance.
Bomb drop is also a semi get off me tool and can also be safely spaced if eave bounced in the neutral. Also wace bouncing and b reversing the grenade can provide some tricky mind games since you can change the direction of the grenade upon release.

Something like that. Honestly, I was also surprised that there were so many people sharing knowledge about Gunner. This is a pretty good step to get rid of the large amount of misinformation about Gunner (even the Smashwiki has a fair share of incorrect statements about Gunner).
I've dabbled a little bit as Gunner myself, and some of the other special moves would do them wonders in the long run, but until Miis get freed, they're kind of stuck with not nearly as many tools as some mains would like to use.

but, i did get informed of a petition going on to make an appeal toward that freedom. so I'll leave the link here: Free Miis at EVO 2016

also, I'll humorously nitpick at your quoting me twice, yet one of the responses was directed at me.

I've dabbled a little bit as Gunner myself, and some of the other special moves would do them wonders in the long run, but until Miis get freed, they're kind of stuck with not nearly as many tools as some mains would like to use.

but, i did get informed of a petition going on to make an appeal toward that freedom. so I'll leave the link here: Free Miis at EVO 2016

also, I'll humorously nitpick at your quoting me twice, yet one of the responses was directed at me.
That was an accident (at least it was pretty funny). I was thinking about a response to that post, but I decided to come back to it later.

Mii Gunner gets a large variety of movement options from his/her other specials. Besides getting a wavedash from absorbing vortex, Gunner can wavebounce grenades, and shuffle with bombs. It really would be nice to see if someone could optimize all of these techniques in tournament play.

Last edited:
Mii Gunner gets a large variety of movement options from his/her other specials. Besides getting a wavedash from absorbing vortex, Gunner can wavebounce grenades, and shuffle with bombs. It really would be nice to see if someone could optimize all of these techniques in tournament play.
Absorbing Vortex as a pseudo-wavedash? i know I learned for myself how that particular move can extend your jump, but I'm not quite sure what you mean on that.

Absorbing Vortex as a pseudo-wavedash? i know I learned for myself how that particular move can extend your jump, but I'm not quite sure what you mean on that.
On YouTube there is a video called "Mii Gunner ADV. Wavedash Absorb." that shows Gunner sliding forward on the ground as if he/she were wavedashing in Melee. It is done by dashing forward then using the absorbing vortex down b while still holding the directional stick.

I think it's wrong to allow them their full moveset. What makes Mii fighters more special to allow them their full moveset while Palutena and everyone else can't? It would give the Mii fighters a too big of an advantage imo. I think it's better to let the community decide on 1111, 2222 or 3333 for each Mii fighter and allow the results in tournament.

Last edited:
I think it's wrong to allow them their full moveset. What makes Mii fighters more special to allow them their full moveset while Palutena and everyone else can't? It would give the Mii fighters a too big of an advantage imo. I think it's better to let the community decide on 1111, 2222 or 3333 for each Mii fighter and allow the results in tournament.
personally, I'm fine with everyone using custom special overall, the only reason I can understand people being so against it is the effort required to get them all on any one Wii U console. I've seen videos of people cracking the game for cosmetic things, so perhaps someone could devise a small code that allows everyone to unlock them quickly.

Top Bottom