• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Large Leader's Tutorial Thread

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Ever wanted to know how to code a taunt switching moveset?
Have you been wondering how to animate an inside joke of yours?
Is there any random thing you want to randomly do and accomplish?

Don't know how to do ANY of the above?
Then this thread is for you!

In this thread, I'll be putting up tutorial videos that I've completed and/or worked on. It's a work in progress, but I hope to be able to put up a bunch of videos to help you all out.

Animation videos:

NONE YET

Coding videos:

Introduction to BrawlBox and Basic Attack Editing

Intro to Taunt Switching Movesets

How to change special moves

Other Videos:

How to import a model from BBox into 3ds Max and important tools used in 3ds Max

What is the Skin Modifier, introduction on how to change weights, and what is Skin Wrap

Facepoint Count: What is it?

I'll also be adding annotations in each video if there's something I want to add or forgot to mention.

If you want to suggest tutorials, go right ahead! Chances are, I'll make a video on it.*

DISCLAIMER: I suck at modelling, stage making, and have no knowledge on texturing, so I'm not the guy for that. For the first two, you should probably hop over to Theytah's thread over at: http://smashboards.com/threads/theytahs-mod-school.356063/

Other than that, I'll try to make the videos on Fridays/Saturdays/Sundays/When I have time to do so.

Shameless plug:

I try to stream on Fridays and sometimes over the weekend, except if I have other commitments or if a huge tourney is being streamed (such as The Big House 5, EVO, etc). I'm slowly starting to use Twitter, so if you want to follow me on there I'll be more than happy to start tweeting when I'm going to stream or if I'm going to cancel one or if there's any random info that you guys should/might want to know about.

Stream Link: picarto.tv/LargeLeader
Twitter: @Large_Leader

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
But who's this Large Leader guy.
Wish I knew how to change my username on here. Probably have to ask a mod or something. Oh well.

That being said, I've drafted up what I want to do for the coding vid. Now I'm just waiting for a day that I can record it all.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Wish I knew how to change my username on here. Probably have to ask a mod or something. Oh well.

That being said, I've drafted up what I want to do for the coding vid. Now I'm just waiting for a day that I can record it all.
You need to get premium.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Someone reported the video for being inappropriate and Youtube did this cool thing where it automatically removed the video, so I'm appealing the decision and trying to get it back. If it's not back within a week, I'll just upload it somewhere else.

Montimers

Smash Apprentice
Heya. It's nice to see you got back at this. Might be since some time ago, but I don't check those forums very often, so whatever. Hopefully people will stop being so lazy with some guidance. Many tutorials are outdated and some basic things don't have tutorial to give a basic start for new people.
By the way, your lastest video seem to have been deleted for some odd reason.

edit: You saw it already. \o

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Heya. It's nice to see you got back at this. Might be since some time ago, but I don't check those forums very often, so whatever. Hopefully people will stop being so lazy with some guidance. Many tutorials are outdated and some basic things don't have tutorial to give a basic start for new people.
By the way, your lastest video seem to have been deleted for some odd reason.

edit: You saw it already. \o
Thanks, and yeah, idk what's up with that. Probably some asshole or something.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
This is stupid as hell.

I'm going to be uploading videos through vimeo from now on. I'll be posting alternate links soon.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
The coding video is now uploaded on Vimeo:

Link: https://vimeo.com/142000122
If you want to watch it on here for some reason:

I'm hoping to have two more videos done by the end of the upcoming week. See you guys then!

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Finished one of the two videos for this week. But Youtube won't allow me to upload it (it ended up deleting the coding video and now I'm in bad standing with the community...) and vimeo has a 500 mb upload limit (the video exceeds that limit).

So I guess you'll have to wait for all the videos to get uploaded then...

My b lol

I lied, here it is: https://vimeo.com/142594525

Embedded

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
My family is going to be switching ISPs and for some reason my internet doesn't work at all today. I'll still probably record a tutorial or two and upload it when I have internet which should be on Saturday.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Wanna know what I've been up to when I'm not making tutorials or trying to fix stuff for other people?
Wanna know what I used to do and what I'm doing now?

Check out here: largeleader.blogspot.com

I should have a new tutorial out tomorrow, depending on how long it takes to fix my car lol

Draco_The

Smash Lord
3ds max's graphite modeling tools are very cool, especially Paint, which allows you to paint vertex and edges on a surface to later move them around to create new details.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
3ds max's graphite modeling tools are very cool, especially Paint, which allows you to paint vertex and edges on a surface to later move them around to create new details.
I've tried to avoid adding any detailnuntil in done, because I originally wanted to add detail in zbrush. But I decided against it. I probably won't be adding any detail period (unless its the head).

Graphite modelling tools are awesome, o agree. But I'm sure the regular method of adding details will work just fine lol. I definitely use the graphite modelling tools for sculpting on the fly. Its very useful for that type of stuff.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
I've tried to avoid adding any detailnuntil in done, because I originally wanted to add detail in zbrush. But I decided against it. I probably won't be adding any detail period (unless its the head).

Graphite modelling tools are awesome, o agree. But I'm sure the regular method of adding details will work just fine lol. I definitely use the graphite modelling tools for sculpting on the fly. Its very useful for that type of stuff.
I dunno if anyone else has read though your blog posts, but I have and I have to say that I like the work you've done (especially the work I haven't seen). Keep it up!

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Thanks!

I'll try to put up more tutorials, and I should have ideas for them. But I don't lol.

Any ideas before I make a random one?

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
That sounds like a fantastic idea. I should talk to you on Skype but I realize you're pretty busy

drogoth232

Smash Lord

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Will probably have some free time next weekend. Any more suggestions for videos?

McMarth

Smash Cadet
How about a video explaining the construction of Dacus and L Cancels for those working on PSAs?

drogoth232

Smash Lord
How about a video explaining the construction of Dacus and L Cancels for those working on PSAs?
DACUS isn't a PSA thing. Neither is l cancelling. The length of a dacus could be considered an animation or PSA thing, but the technique itself is not.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I have a suggestion for you to take into consideration drogoth232 drogoth232 : start a "Making a Move" series of tutorials. The premise would be to give any character of your choice a new move and use your time making that move to demonstrate the various intricacies that go into:
1. Animation
2. Coding
3. Effects
4. Balancing
5. Utility
Etc.

It's only a suggestion, so you don't have to do it, it's only an idea.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I have a suggestion for you to take into consideration drogoth232 drogoth232 : start a "Making a Move" series of tutorials. The premise would be to give any character of your choice a new move and use your time making that move to demonstrate the various intricacies that go into:
1. Animation
2. Coding
3. Effects
4. Balancing
5. Utility
Etc.

It's only a suggestion, so you don't have to do it, it's only an idea.
I like the idea, and will probably work on it when the semester ends. Other suggestions will also be appreciated as well.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Drafted up a script for the new video (even though I don't use scripts). Obviously not final (or maybe it is? I don't know myself), but a small peek into what I have planned for the future.

Anyone wanna read it?
No?
Das koo

1. What character do you want to make?
2. How will the character play?
3. What canon moves do you want to include?
4. What moves will you have to improvise
5. What character will he be over?
6. JUST DO IT

Step 1: What character do you want to make?

This is probably the easiest step out of the 6. Simply pick a character. Anything can be done with some creativity. But in this example, let's go with someone like Banjo and Kazooie.

Step 2: How will the character play?

This heavily depends on your personal vision for the character. For example, Captain Falcon is a fast character with strong combos, kill moves, and gap closers. He relies on his speed to get in and do damage. But he fares poorly when he gets juggled and has a relatively bad recovery. He's quite similar to Fox (Fast, strong combos, good kill moves, no actual gap closers, but he has a shine, and relatively bad recovery depending on your POV), but the two characters play completely differently.

In our example with Banjo and Kazooie, let's say we want the character to focus on ground moves while using a projectile to augment his combos when he can't get that last hit anymore (ala Falco). He has a bad aerial game (small hits linking up to combos, but stray aerials don't kill until high %), but he has a good recovery.

Step 3: What Canon moves do you want to include?

This is quite the difficult step to get used to. You must remember that you shouldn't and you can't include every canon move a character has. It just doesn't work. Imagine if Tidus (From FFX) had all his moves from Dissidia. He'd be impossible to play with as all his special moves have super high lag and damage, and he can barely combo. All he'd be good for would be running down the clock.

This is where Step 3 is the most important. Pick out the most memorable moves or highlight something that you definitely don't want to over look. In this case, with B&K, I want to highlight Kazooie's beak dive move along with being able to hover with banjo, shoot eggs,have Banjo swing his bag to attack, duck and cover for his squat, duck and cover with Kazooie covering him as a shield, roll forward as a forward roll. The rest of the move will be improvised.
Step 5: What character will he be over?

Step 4: What moves will you have to improvise?

This is quite easy after you've finished step 3. Whatever you haven't picked out as Canon will have to be improvised. Of course, you can take animations from pre-existing characters and use those animations as a base for your own. But the more unique (and higher quality) animations you have, the more it will stand out.

Step 5: What character will he be over?

Could be one of the more difficult steps - although step 6 is definitely the most difficult - but it gets easier the more you work with movesets. This step can determine whether or not your moveset will even work. If you want to have a character that shoots multiple different projectiles, you might be out of luck depending on how many. Or you might get lucky and be able to use someone like Snake or Lucario. Again, it all comes through practice. I won't go too indepth in character choice, but the most popular characters to port over are the following:

Link/Toon Link - Defensive collision on Shield (Nulls projectiles), boomerang, bow, tether, bomb, special grab
Pit - Defensive Collision on Shield (reflects projectiles), bow that can be angled in multiple directions, and glide
Lucario - Defensive Collision on Counter (counters), chargable projectile, unique recovery option, unique FS

Until you learn more about brawl/pm modding, you should generally stick with those three. Just as a side note, do NOT try to make PSAs over Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Sheik, or Zelda unless you absolutely know what you're doing. Otherwise, you're in for a headache.

Step 6: JUST DO IT

Now get out there and start working on your moveset!

Top Bottom