• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

laptop start problem

afterlife

Smash Rookie
hello i'm having a problem with starting my laptop.
I have a Windows XP gateway laptop.

First of all, let me tell you what happened before it wasn't working...
I was downloading these video files on to my computer from my digital camera and I was also converting them into .avi files so I could edit them with the program I have.

I kept getting a message at the bottom of my screen saying "low on disk space" on local drive /C: or something like that.

So I decided to try and free up disk space by deleting files and blah blah blah...
In the end I ran out of so much space, i couldn't open windows movie maker.
So I restarted my computer and went to reset the system with the reset with backup thing.

I made sure i hit the back up files thing. So after that was done it shut itself down, and restarted again.

THAT'S when I ran into my problem. The computer turns on then goes to the black screen with the "press F11 to start recovery" at the top left corner. Then it shuts down and restarts. it kept on doing that over and over and over...

I don't know what to do now. I hit F11 again and it went to the reset system thing again.
I really don't want to lose any of my files, so I need some help to see if there's a way keep my files, but turn my computer on.

P.S. I tink my brother turned on the computer and it kept shutting it self down and starting up. So I'm out of power and my charger isn't charging the thing so I can't do much until we get it into the computer ER and have them fix the power whatever.

P.P.S. I think you all want me to shut up now so I'll let you all try to help me out. Thanks!!!

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
You could try to see if it's an issue with your hard drive or with something else. If you take out the hard drive and plug it into another computer, you should be able to grab the files from that disk without booting from it.

Similarly, if you do a live boot from a Linux distro, you could probably grab the files off of the disk. Even if you can't boot from it.

What else are you seeing when you turn the power on to your computer? ONLY that "hit F11" option? Or does it go through the usual mumbo-jumbo that goes by when you start your computer? If the comp doesn't even get to Bios then there's something else wrong.

afterlife

Smash Rookie
You could try to see if it's an issue with your hard drive or with something else. If you take out the hard drive and plug it into another computer, you should be able to grab the files from that disk without booting from it.

Similarly, if you do a live boot from a Linux distro, you could probably grab the files off of the disk. Even if you can't boot from it.

What else are you seeing when you turn the power on to your computer? ONLY that "hit F11" option? Or does it go through the usual mumbo-jumbo that goes by when you start your computer? If the comp doesn't even get to Bios then there's something else wrong.
it does get to the Bios, then it goes to the hit F11 thing then it quits.

how do I take out my hard drive?
and how do I plug it into another computer?
That seems WAY over my head.

I think it's a hard drive problem. While I was backing up my files, it said that it couldn't access them...I hope that's not the problem. :confused:

sorry I haven't replied...:ohwell:

Mky762

Smash Journeyman
a similar thing happened to a desktop that i had, im not sure what the problem was exactly but it did have something to do with the hard drive. the comp would start, load everything, then it would randomly restart and load up again. I would be on it, it would seem to work alright then, boom, restarts again.

bring it to a store(if you have ever heard of microcenter go there) and let them check it out (http://microcenter.com/)

you probably know this already but, dont do anything that could make things worse

hope i helped

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
I had a problem with a corrupted mbr once, and this helped me quite a bit. I'm not exactly sure what your problem is caused by, but this may be worth a try!

Good luck! =)

afterlife

Smash Rookie
I got my computer to work again, but I had to dump the files.

my uncle tried to get them and he found them, but they were corrupted. so he said I couldn't do anything to keep the files.:ohwell:
oh well, I'll re-download the pk64 and I'll be back playing ssb in no time!:)
woot!

Top Bottom