• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

laptop problems

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I have an HP Pavilion dv6696nr Entertainment Notebook PC and I'm having a few problems with it over-heating. After I use it for about an hour on a very low power setting, it gets crazy hot and starts to slow down, it also gets really loud too. It didn't used to do this until I got to my school which made me install McAfee anti-virus, Cisco Clean Access Agent, and some other ****ty program that I can't think of right now. Over time it's just been getting worse and worse. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the software on my computer or the hardware; I'm not the most tech-savvy person out there. Help?

By the way, my OS is Vista. :urg:

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
Dust travels everywhere, there's probably more dust at your school then there was at home or where-ever you take it which can cause it to build up in the fan (possibly make it work harder and heat up and use more power than its supposed to). And from past experiences that I had, if programs do anything at all they slow down the loading on your computer. But I would suggest going here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...2&lc=en&dlc=ro&cc=ro&product=3690389&lang=ro# Scroll down to question 8. If that doesn't work I don't know what to do about it.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Definitely dust out the laptop. Just go to Fry's electronics or Staples, or wherever, and pick up a can of air. They're cheap and worth it.

Noise is caused by one thing: Fans. They're really the only moving part in your laptop besides your hard drive and optical drives (neither of which make much noise nowadays). So dust the fans extra well. When dust builds up on them, it doesn't do so perfectly evenly. So the fan will wobble and make noise when it spins.

Being slow is probably more due to the antivirus programs than anything else. If you were running without an antivirus program before, and now are running the stuff your school gave you, expect to see a slowdown. AV programs (no matter what it is) are big cumbersome things, sure to slow everything down. It's just a fact of life. (or rather, a consequence of running Windows)

Top Bottom