• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Landing Options for WFT?

Jopeja

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jopeja
What are WFT's landing options? I've been having trouble safely getting back on the ground.
Thanks in advance.

Kikaioh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ParkourSquid
3DS FC
4055-4356-1945
If you mean landing from high up in the air, the options that come to mind are:
  • Down Air: Timing has to be pretty good, and it's a bit easy to read
  • Forward Air: The foot can be used to attack, a bit hard to position. The hand can also be used on taller opponents I think, but it's hard to connect.
  • Neutral Air: Unless you're coming out of a short-hop, your opponent probably won't give you the time to use this properly
  • Back Air: More of a way to knock the opponent away, really good if it connects up close but also more punishable, at a distance if it hits a blocking opponent the landing is a bit safer I think.
If I really want to land, I usually just try to land as far away from the opponent as possible (and if you're falling while stunned, a quick land to a roll is a good way to get some big space quickly).

That said, a lot of times if I'm falling from a great height, I'll often forego landing altogether, and go off stage to recover from the ledge. I think WFT has really good ledge recovery and guarding options, since her header can move horizontally across the stage to put opponents on guard, she has Forward Air to hit unblocking enemies near the edge, Up Air to hit opponents over the edge, and SS for a surprise attack if positioned right. Also, her extreme recovery with Up+B, plus its ability to move laterally, plus its ability to attack from the sides, also gives her a lot of options for getting back to the ledge while getting in a hit or surprising your opponent if they try to come after you. Plus she's a bit floaty and has a good weight, so all that combined makes it a bit difficult I think for people to try and challenge her over the ledge. Getting back on is a matter of either hitting the opponent, rolling in (which has a good distance on it), or climbing up and maybe going into a jab-combo/guard/grab.

Just my thoughts on how I play anyways.

Last edited:

Jopeja

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jopeja
If you mean landing from high up in the air, the options that come to mind are:
  • Down Air: Timing has to be pretty good, and it's a bit easy to read
  • Forward Air: The foot can be used to attack, a bit hard to position. The hand can also be used on taller opponents I think, but it's hard to connect.
  • Neutral Air: Unless you're coming out of a short-hop, your opponent probably won't give you the time to use this properly
  • Back Air: More of a way to knock the opponent away, really good if it connects up close but also more punishable, at a distance if it hits a blocking opponent the landing is a bit safer I think.
If I really want to land, I usually just try to land as far away from the opponent as possible (and if you're falling while stunned, a quick land to a roll is a good way to get some big space quickly).

That said, a lot of times if I'm falling from a great height, I'll often forego landing altogether, and go off stage to recover from the ledge. I think WFT has really good ledge recovery and guarding options, since her header can move horizontally across the stage to put opponents on guard, she has Forward Air to hit unblocking enemies near the edge, Up Air to hit opponents over the edge, and SS for a surprise attack if positioned right. Also, her extreme recovery with Up+B, plus its ability to move laterally, plus its ability to attack from the sides, also gives her a lot of options for getting back to the ledge while getting in a hit or surprising your opponent if they try to come after you. Plus she's a bit floaty and has a good weight, so all that combined makes it a bit difficult I think for people to try and challenge her over the ledge. Getting back on is a matter of either hitting the opponent, rolling in (which has a good distance on it), or climbing up and maybe going into a jab-combo/guard/grab.

Just my thoughts on how I play anyways.
I appreciate the insight, Kikaioh. I was aware of WFT's superior off-stage/ledge game, but I never really thought of purposefully going to ledge.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Another good option for WFT is her ability to stop her momentum at any time with Deep Breathing and cancel it with a dodge. Unlike Header's Cancel, this doesn't put you in helpless state, allowing you to use other attacks.

Top Bottom