• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lag Elimination

Sandy

Smash Champion
Krelian45 of GameFAQS said:
Go into your Wii's settings and go to Internet. Find the connection you are using and change the settings on the DNS page by selecting No -> advanced settings.

Put in the following DNS:

Save, test and check for updates. You should notice a difference.
I just did this, and OH EM GEE, my lag was completely gone.

xpnet

Smash Cadet
Don't do this.. use your ISP's DNS server. If that DNS server goes down you system will LOSS all WiFi connectivity.

To get ride of lag, Change your channel on your router and check your internet connection.

xpnet

Smash Cadet
Read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

DNS is name resolution. It takes a name and transfers it to a IP address that your Wii uses to connect. It only happens ONE time at the start of a match.

DNS is like a big phone book… It looks up a number .. Which is your IP.. once the call is made you no longer need the phone book.

Telling people to use your phone book will cause that internet company to start block people from using that phone book in turn causing them to no longer be able to connect to ANYTHING using the internet on the Wii. DO NOT TELL PEOPLE TO DO THIS.[/SIZE]

Your DNS has nothing to do with response time that is depend on the signal between your Wii and your Wireless point.. and the wireless point and it's connection to the person it is communicating with..

If you connect to some one that has a bad connection they you will have lag. What you are telling people is very bad and inaccurate.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Lose Wifi connectivity meaning what? My downloads will still be there?

mikee8728

Smash Rookie
Read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

DNS is name resolution. It takes a name and transfers it to a IP address that your Wii uses to connect. It only happens ONE time at the start of a match.

DNS is like a big phone book… It looks up a number .. Which is your IP.. once the call is made you no longer need the phone book.

Telling people to use your phone book will cause that internet company to start block people from using that phone book in turn causing them to no longer be able to connect to ANYTHING using the internet on the Wii. DO NOT TELL PEOPLE TO DO THIS.[/SIZE]

Your DNS has nothing to do with response time that is depend on the signal between your Wii and your Wireless point.. and the wireless point and it's connection to the person it is communicating with..

If you connect to some one that has a bad connection they you will have lag. What you are telling people is very bad and inaccurate.

Xpnet is right. Doing this is not a good idea. Just wait till nintendo fixes their servers.

FartKnocker

Smash Apprentice
I don't see any way this could possibly help with the lag.

....can someone else confirm it does?

EDIT: It looks like it's just the OPENDNS server addresses.

Sethisto

Smash Rookie
It does help somewhat, I did it a while back.

As for no connectivity on the wii, I would assume you could simply change your settings once that actually happens...

correct me if i'm wrong.

bxstone585

Smash Rookie
well it seems to work fine but the lagin i think now is coming from other ppl now
here's my
FC: 1117-9891-1924
NAME: STONE

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
I don't know whether to do this or not... xpnet made a good point with the DNS thing, so should I do this or not? If there's even the slightest risk of anything very bad happening then I'm not going to do it.

xcapablancax

Smash Cadet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelian45 of GameFAQS
Go into your Wii's settings and go to Internet. Find the connection you are using and change the settings on the DNS page by selecting No -> advanced settings.

Put in the following DNS:

Save, test and check for updates. You should notice a difference.}

---Whats the difference between using this Dns or my IPs DNS?

Top Bottom