• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lab Report: Exploration of Nair

ScherzoGavotte

Smash Rookie
TL;DR: FH Nair connects on tall and wide. Use for combos on platform stages. 5th hit of Nair is a combo setup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First and foremost, I have to highlight the winner of the quiz I posited on the Distant Planet Discord: Pretty in Pink| Yin !!! Congrats!!!
(Runner up WistitiPNF-404 for the most guesses/actually labbing it out).

The quiz went like this: Find out how to perform this combo:
12 hit true combo, Rosalina, training mode BF, both start grounded, 0%, No throws, Works on Rosa but not Mario or Jiggs

Pretty in Pink|Yin said Nair--> Uptilt, which equals a total of 12 hits.
This is correct! However, if you just try to link them normally, you can't combo them into each other.

So, what happened here to make this a true combo?

The full inputs are FH Nair--> Fast Fall --> Uptilt
The platform is essential in getting this combo because you can act very soon after connecting the FH Nair
All three of these gifs are true combos!
So what do these illustrate about Nair?
I have three main points to present to you:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) FH Nair (w or w/o OoS) works on TALL characters

To elaborate, SH Nair can connect all 5 hits on the full cast of characters.
FH Nair will only connect all 5 hits on taller characters.

These include: Bowser, Rosalina, Bowser Jr., DK, Link, Ganondorf, Samus, Pit, Dark Pit, Ike, Dedede, Falco, Charizard, ROB, Cpt Falcon, Shulk, Mewtwo, and Bayonetta

FH Nair will only hit once or twice on the rest of the cast....unless the character is SUPER SHORT
These super short characters, which include Duck Hunt, Kirby, Meta Knight, Fox, Jigglypuff, Pikachu, Greninja, and Olimar, will take 0 HITS from FH Nair
So don't attempt this on them.

Also, these data are present at 0%. At higher percents, characters that only took 1 or 2 hits might be able to connect all 5 hits.
Notably Cloud, who takes 2 hits at 0%, but can easily connect all 5 hits at 50%

2): Nair can be manipulated to control the opponent's trajectory and your landing position.

3): The last hit of Nair has low landing lag/can FF into quick actions
The whole reason the initial Rosa combo gif works is because of the low landing lag after the last hit of Nair.

You can see that I am able to shield almost immediately when I land

Another kill option at lower percents (sorry no gif for this) is Final hit of SH Nair, FF, FH Purple Bair
That one will probably kill earlier, depending on the stage

Caveat:

It's VERY hard to time on the Short characters I mentioned above. You have to delay nair just a hair to get it right, but it's possible. Otherwise, the normal height and tall characters this works on.

Thanks for listening everyone! Please explore FH Nair or Final hit of Nair some more and tell me what you find!

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Awesome, such valuable information. I never tend to use Nair and definitely will start to do it.
Thank your for your effort :D .

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
For all the combos listed here, did you account for opponent DI and airdodging? The combos listed in section 3 look like the opponent can perform an action before you can follow up with Uair/Bair like airdodging or double jumping away. If the opponent DIs away then it looks like you have to run on the ground a little first before double jumping, reducing the window to get a followup.

Did you do your combo testing using Scenario 10 of this guide? Doing this test method would probably answer my questions above, which is important because the player needs to know what possible situations he can use this in a typical game.

Last edited:

ScherzoGavotte

Smash Rookie
I did not account for DI in these. I can guarantee that these are true combos since I tested them in training prior to filming/recording them. They cannot jump out or air dodge, but it's likely that they can DI away.

Thanks for being so critical! It's eyes and brains like yours that help dispel misinformation.

Top Bottom