• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LA Tech Project M Power Rankings 1-24-14

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys, here it is. Our Power Rankings based on the GetGoodSmash biweekly tournaments held on the LA Tech campus. A special thanks to the KLPI Radio Station for hosting these amazing tournaments, as well as our TO's Ponkapa, Mr. Fish, and Drix for giving us a reason to show up.

Top Ten:
1. :falcon: Frosti - 7067
2. :gw: Mr. Fish - 6965
3. :marth: Sneak - 6658
4. :yoshi2: Ponkapa - 6370
5. :fox: Beta - 6298
6. :ike: Donutt - 6037
7. :wolf: Gooz - 5906
8. (???) KBot - 5847
9. :mario2: KinGly - 5328
10. :olimar: Woots - 5174

Everyone Else:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sfPqut5g4CKOv_e-4dO3M0TfFUMRVI7sT1grJY1AoAM/edit?usp=sharing

KBot plays whoever, I don't think he realizes most people only play 1-2 characters...

Previously everyone was ranked with the Glicko Elo calculator, but after running into a handful of problems with this program, I began looking for a replacement. Rankings are now based off the SkillKeeper Elo calculator. Many of the same rules apply, but the interface should keep my errors from affecting the outcome. Also, in order to be ranked in the top ten, you must have participated in at least two tournaments. This is to ensure that the PR represents LA Techs finest players.

If you think that the PR is wrong and you should be ranked higher, go out and prove it. Good Luck.

Twitch Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/getgoodsmash
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_OhPT_7DN4utoJ5bFt-lDg

Edit: Fixed the scores because some people entered with tags I had never seen
Edit 2: Fixed the link. Its like 1 AM. I'm going to sleep.

Last edited:

Bestrin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4656-9213-2468
Move everything over one space to the right, add a new first column that increments from 1. That way it shows their rank more accurately than the spreadsheet's column number

TFerg

Smash Apprentice
How to beat GnW, a mini guide

Step 1: Be Roy
Step 2: fthrow>fthrow>dash attack or dtilt>free fsmash if DA, free dair spike if dtilt into more techchasing
Step 3: weak up air to bair, dair to bair, condition him for perfect sweet spots with cheesy neutral bs and fsmashes on stage near the ledge
Step 4: If his sweetspots are perfect, wait, wd back grab ledge, if he goes high it's free ledgedash Fsmash, if he sweetspots he's dead

Source: Taylor used to absolutely **** on me with absurd GnW combos for hours until I learned this crap.

TFerg

Smash Apprentice
No I did not, but I would be willing to bet $100+ that I would win in a serious set. The matchup is that hard for GnW lol. Same thing if I was playing Marth.

Frankly even if I did play anyone at Wintercon, I was so beyond stressed/exhausted from rando being "forced" to run ****, and hadn't eaten since 10 that morning, that I wouldn't really put much weight behind it. If I lose to someone in a singles tournament, or an environment where I'm not having to improv TO the worst tournament in LA history, then I'll definitely give that respect 100%.

Last edited:

TFerg

Smash Apprentice
From what I've seen though, Freddy and Taylor both have a much stronger neutral than Mr Fish's GnW, but Mr Fish's combos>Freddy and =Taylor. Chris is good. I wasn't speaking of his skill but the matchup.

Prolly 70/30 in Roy/Marth's favor.

Tbh if Chris had excellent movement he would be potentially top 10 in LA.

Last edited:

TFerg

Smash Apprentice
Taylor trying to expose my fraudulence.Will report back results after.

(Spoiler, he will prolly win and I will cry and you can all make fun of me)

Absoltastic

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheAbsol
Really nice work on updating these so fast, man! It's much appreciated. Really awesome to see all these constant shakeups in the rankings; I think it proves how much the scene is changing and how everyone is getting better!

Still determined to work my way up; got a loooooooooooooooooong climb.

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Really nice work on updating these so fast, man! It's much appreciated. Really awesome to see all these constant shakeups in the rankings; I think it proves how much the scene is changing and how everyone is getting better!

Still determined to work my way up; got a loooooooooooooooooong climb.
Yeah, somehow the PR gets updated before the results get posted (looking at you @Ponkapa). Hopefully with the way this new software I'm using works less of these shakeups will be from me doing something stupid (there were some inconsistencies in the old one that no one noticed) and more from dynamic skill levels/placings.

Bestrin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4656-9213-2468
Yeah, somehow the PR gets updated before the results get posted (looking at you @Ponkapa). Hopefully with the way this new software I'm using works less of these shakeups will be from me doing something stupid (there were some inconsistencies in the old one that no one noticed) and more from dynamic skill levels/placings.
The real race is between VoDs and Results.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Improving your neutral as GnW will be hard since he has kind of a bad neutral anyways. Losing neutral 5 times then escaping with an up-b and winning neutral once into a 0-to-death on them is basically how you play GnW. Gonna have to get really creative in neutral if you want him to shine.

Top Bottom